Trade: [TOR/ARI] Daulton Varsho for Gabriel Moreno and Lourdes Gurriel Jr

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Holy ****. A package. Like MORE than just Moreno?!

Lourdes Gurriel is apparently in the deal too. Is ARZ sending more back?

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
So… I really like Varsho as a player and think he’s a perfect fit for the Jays… but also this is a fairly big overpay in terms of value. Like Moreno straight up probably still favours the D-Backs. Jays should have been able to get another piece like a bullpen arm or something like that.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't think Gurriel had any value here. Pretty clear the Jays want to completely change the makeup of the locker room. I love love love Varsho though.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This looks like an overpay, but it really isn't. People are seriously sleeping on how good Kirk was last year. Not just hitting, but actually being a catcher as well. Good framing/defensive metrics to the point Moreno becomes expendable. Kirk is only 2 years older than him too so you can easily see him as your guy behind the plate for the next decade.

Gurriel will be missed as one of the holdovers from the rebuild to what the Jays are now. But in actuality he's really not that big of a loss. Guy who largely hits single who can't play defense for absolute shit. May pina power continue to live on in the Arizona desert all that being said.

I like the deal a lot. People cling to prospects too much and they were doing it moreso here despite having a guy who might end up being better at the same position.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This looks like an overpay, but it really isn't. People are seriously sleeping on how good Kirk was last year. Not just hitting, but actually being a catcher as well. Good framing/defensive metrics to the point Moreno becomes expendable. Kirk is only 2 years older than him too so you can easily see him as your guy behind the plate for the next decade.

Gurriel will be missed as one of the holdovers from the rebuild to what the Jays are now. But in actuality he's really not that big of a loss. Guy who largely hits single who can't play defense for absolute shit. May pina power continue to live on in the Arizona desert all that being said.

I like the deal a lot. People cling to prospects too much and they were doing it moreso here despite having a guy who might end up being better at the same position.
Yeah it is pretty clear the league wasn't valuing Jansen to the level the Jays thought was appropriate. Trading Kirk would have required like a monumental return. So it had to be Moreno. Jays are going to be catching some balls in the outfield next year lol

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Varsho can also play catcher (82 career games at C, 31 last season), so the Jays could still pull the trigger on a Jansen deal, and have Varsho start behind the plate once or twice a week

The best thing about this trade is that it almost certainly means the Jays are likely out on Bryan Reynolds, which means they won't be parting with Ricky Tiedemann any time soon

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Gurriel has been injured the last 2 september's for the jays and playoffs. Defense is not the best. Varsho is great defensively. So huge upgrade there. Moreno is the wildcard here. Had a little taste of the majors and played well offensively. But needs work behind the plate calling games. I think its a good trade that will work out well for both teams

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Varsho can also play catcher (82 career games at C, 31 last season), so the Jays could still pull the trigger on a Jansen deal, and have Varsho start behind the plate once or twice a week

The best thing about this trade is that it almost certainly means the Jays are likely out on Bryan Reynolds, which means they won't be parting with Ricky Tiedemann any time soon
Varsho had the most defensive runs saved as an outfielder last season.

I’d say he’s a left handed Chapman at a more important defensive position.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Couldn't the Jays convert Gab to a LF and be just as good? The Arizona guy strikes out a tonne, hits lots of dingers though.

In an odd way the Jays have a better OF with Varsho, Kiermaier, Springer. Not sure they will generate as much production as Gurriel, Springer and Theo.

seems like an overpay for a guy who hit .235 last season. How is he defensively?

Plus defender

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Major overpay by Jays IMO

That was initial reaction too but the more I read up on this guy , he's a pretty good player. Astros were rumored to be offing one of their top 5 SP for Varsho.

Varsho had a 2.0 DWAR and a .994 FPCT in RF last year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He reminds me of Chris Young in some ways

Even their early years are similar. Young was guy who was constantly talked up but never really became what he was supposed to be outside of 1 or 2 good years in Arizona (Around agae of Varsho) then becoming journeyman the rest of his career

If Varsho was as good as people hope the Diamondbacks wouldn't have been so willing to trade him

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think it's fair to say the Pirates weren't interested in dealing Reynolds for a package centered around Moreno

So, are the Jays better off with Varsho & Tiedermann or would they have been better off with Reynolds + Moreno?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad