Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ARI] Carter Hutton traded to Toronto for future considerations

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This one doesn't seem to make sense?? He isn't depth for the Leafs as he isn't going there and they have better. Gotta be an LTIR angle but I don't know how??

Toronto gets an almost-NHL-quality veteran in their system if they need him on a contingency basis. Until then, they loan him back to the Roadrunners, who pay his salary. So basically, we're paying Hutton, using him in Tucson, but we have an extra roster spot open on the 50-man to take on contracts at the deadline.

It's a pretty creative deal and I'm pleasantly surprised that everyone, including Hutton, benefits from it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This one doesn't seem to make sense?? He isn't depth for the Leafs as he isn't going there and they have better. Gotta be an LTIR angle but I don't know how??
This would be part of the Lybushkin trade. This was all planned.

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ

I'm confused too. Why does Toronto take on his contract? Either there's something else going on or this was part of the other trade.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm confused too. Why does Toronto take on his contract? Either there's something else going on or this was part of the other trade.

I think if Hutton is loaned to the Roadrunners, Toronto can either split the salary payments with Tucson or have Tucson pay the whole minors salary cost. That's how it used to be, anyway.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Toronto gets an almost-NHL-quality veteran in their system if they need him on a contingency basis. Until then, they loan him back to the Roadrunners, who pay his salary. So basically, we're paying Hutton, using him in Tucson, but we have an extra roster spot open on the 50-man to take on contracts at the deadline.

It's a pretty creative deal and I'm pleasantly surprised that everyone, including Hutton, benefits from it.
I'm pretty sure Toronto pays his salary as he is on a one way contract to the Leafs. And I think he would currently be at best 4th goalie for the Leafs.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Assuming we just didn't want to pay Hutton 750k to play in the AHL, so Toronto is footing the bill.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You may not know this because you don’t watch but Hutton is very bad. And someone else is going to pay his salary and free up a roster spot for us to use. There is no downside here.
I know Hutton is bad. So, in these deals with TO, we got rid of three contracts and took back one. Is that correct? I think the money is almost even, but we have to pay Ritchie next year. I guess it give BA more flexibility.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I know Hutton is bad. So, in these deals with TO, we got rid of three contracts and took back one. Is that correct? I think the money is almost even, but we have to pay Ritchie next year. I guess it give BA more flexibility.
Ritchie will play (old time hockey) and we will likely deal him next deadline. Now roster contracts only matter if we do something with them. Either we start accumulating draft picks now or we sign some free agent college kids.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ritchie will play (old time hockey) and we will likely deal him next deadline. Now roster contracts only matter if we do something with them. Either we start accumulating draft picks now or we sign some free agent college kids.
I think we start to accumulate salary dump contracts and draft picks. Rinse and repeat.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I am still confused as to how this deal benefits the Leafs. Ok they get another depth goalie, but Hutton? That's really the best free goalie available? What is their zamboni driver up to these days?

Reactions: PainForShane

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I am still confused as to how this deal benefits the Leafs. Ok they get another depth goalie, but Hutton? That's really the best free goalie available? What is their zamboni driver up to these days?
Gotta be either LTIR benefit or this was part of weekend deal completed later. Or Mrazek is getting a new home and it's another body???? None make sense

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think Hutton was thrown into the deal when Dzingel was claimed. Hutton will never play for the Leafs. Like you said, how does benefit the Leafs other than getting rid of Ritchie's contract. Head scratcher for sure.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Because if neither Arizona nor Toronto had to pay Dzingel, there was cap room available to relocate (on paper) Hutton.
But why would that be relevant? AZ lost Dzingle contract. Why would Toronto have to take Hutton because he was claimed? That makes zero sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad