Confirmed with Link: [TOR} Andreas Borgman Extended [1 year, 700K]

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This one surprises me. He's great depth to have, but I'm just surprised that he wanted to stick around here, when he doesn't stand much of a chance to play for the Leafs.
Yeah, I thought I also read something about rumblings of him being disgruntled and unhappy with his situation and having to be in the AHL. definitely surprising

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are needing to rely on UFA free wallets like Borgman and Rosen and Zaitsev and Oz to build up their depth because of questionable drafting over the years leaving holes that need filling.

Hopefully some of these depth signings are just insurance policies and eventually we start seeing Liljegren and Sandin being ready.

Since Leafs are at a stage where they're giving away 1st and higher picks for instant help in trades and going to be picking later we might need some of these depth players like Borgman to keep the organization stocked.

I thought Borgman when with the Leafs last year showed some future potential, his AHL time not so much.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Leafs are needing to rely on UFA free wallets like Borgman and Rosen and Zaitsev and Oz to build up their depth because of questionable drafting over the years leaving holes that need filling.

Hopefully some of these depth signings are just insurance policies and eventually we start seeing Liljegren and Sandin being ready.

Since Leafs are at a stage where they're giving away 1st and higher picks for instant help in trades and going to be picking later we might need some of these depth players like Borgman to keep the organization stocked.

I thought Borgman when with the Leafs last year showed some future potential, his AHL time not so much.

I doubt Oz will be back next year to be quite honest.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I doubt Oz will be back next year to be quite honest.

That depends on how much he plays this year. The injuries to Gardiner and Dermott are getting him playing time, but if he sits most the year in the pressbox he might want to go back to the KHL.

Swedes like Borgman and Rosen might find NA like styles more similar to their own home countries and therefor prefer NHL/AHL to KHL life.

Because of Leafs highend contracts, we as Leaf fans are going to have to get use to see many cheap depth guys like Borgman/Rosen and OZ fill out the NHL team depth for cap reasons. Leafs will have no choice to be cap compliant.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm surprised he didn't want to go back to Sweden this Summer.

Maybe one last kick at the NHL with all the guys we've got leaving this Summer. If he can't make it then back to Sweden and no turning back.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I like it. Need cheap depth guys in case of injuries. Maybe he turns it around - I really liked his game at the start of the '17-'18 season.

Reactions: Mork

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Surprised he's sticking around.

It would be easy to trade him later on if he does not like his chances here. We did it with Carrick, we can do it with him.

He's likely the Marincin replacement.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Respectfully, if one is thinking a D corp of whatever combination:
Rielly: 7 years
Muzzin: grizzled vet
Hainsey: (debatable) 38 year old vet
Zaitzev: still 5 years to go
Oz: 2nd year
Dermott: 1.5 year vet
Rosen: rookie
Hold: please
Marincin: ooooohk
Borgman: 35/40 games?
Sandin: Rookie
Liljgren: Rookie
and you think we've got something going on...oh my.

You can't run 3 vets (Rielly, Muzzin, Hainsey/Zaitsev) and 3 essentially rookies and expect to be good in your own zone.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The two way contract is telling. He is hoping that if he does not make the Leafs he will go on waivers and get claimed by another team.

It is another one of a list of players Leafs are signing for cheap as they need these types of contract to fill in our roster next year. I say he will still be on the outside looking in next year as he is a left shot D man and we have a lot more depth there.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The two way contract is telling. He is hoping that if he does not make the Leafs he will go on waivers and get claimed by another team.

It is another one of a list of players Leafs are signing for cheap as they need these types of contract to fill in our roster next year. I say he will still be on the outside looking in next year as he is a left shot D man and we have a lot more depth there.

He's not eligible until 2020 for waivers

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Does CKSA Moscow still own his KHL rights? They treated Oz worse. He's a right handed NHL defenseman. Somebody will want him next season if not the Leafs.

Yeah, that's why I could see him turning down his QO if the leafs qualify him (who knows).

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Surprised but pleased.

He must wanna be a Leaf. Very good, props.

And Oz has already played more this year than last....I hope he re-ups. Makes for a nice third pair, and Dermott can transition upward the year after.

One RD to play with Reilly, and you’ve really gotta like the shape moving forward :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad