Oz: 2nd year
Dermott: 1.5 year vet
Rosen: rookie
Hold: please
Marincin: ooooohk
Borgman: 35/40 games?
Sandin: Rookie
Liljgren: Rookie
and you think we've got something going on...oh my.

You can't run 3 vets (Rielly, Muzzin, Hainsey/Zaitsev) and 3 essentially rookies and expect to be good in your own zone.

Rosen prior to his injury was playing all-star quality hockey with the Marlies. Only reason why he wasn't up already was because we had a top 6 that was working and him being able to be in AHL without losing a Marincin or Oz.

If Rosen was healthy he would have been called up already and playing with the Gardiner and Dermott injuries. Rosen definitely is your number 5 dman next season replacing Gardiner on the left side. That is huge for the Leafs cap situation and an upgrade on Gardiner as he is better defensively then Gardiner.

As for Borgman, I also believe his game plays better at the NHL level. Only issue is we have enough LHD (Reilly, Muzzin, Dermott, Rosen) ahead of him. Even shifting Dermott to the right there is no room for Borgman, but he will be the first one up.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Leafs are needing to rely on UFA free wallets like Borgman and Rosen and Zaitsev and Oz to build up their depth because of questionable drafting over the years leaving holes that need filling.

Hopefully some of these depth signings are just insurance policies and eventually we start seeing Liljegren and Sandin being ready.

Since Leafs are at a stage where they're giving away 1st and higher picks for instant help in trades and going to be picking later we might need some of these depth players like Borgman to keep the organization stocked.

I thought Borgman when with the Leafs last year showed some future potential, his AHL time not so much.
Lmao at “questionable drafting”. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Dermott, Reilly, Kadri, brown, Liljegren, Sandin, johnsson, Gauthier, Moore...

What’s your question here?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the Leafs can have a competitive bottom pairing for like 1.5 mil combined salaries it would be fantastic.

Oz likely prices himself out of a job next season

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Think the two-way contract indicates that he isn't projected to be in the starting six. However, as we're now seeing with the Gardiner and Dermott injuries, depth players can become important in a hurry. There will be departures from and "new" arrivals to the current organizational blueline group. He does have a bit more than half an NHL season under his belt. Potentially good reward to this signing.

Last edited:

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Lmao at “questionable drafting”. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Dermott, Reilly, Kadri, brown, Liljegren, Sandin, johnsson, Gauthier, Moore...

He said depth. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Kadi are all first rounders. Dermott is a second. Liljegren & Sandin have yet to play a game in the NHL and are first rounders as well. Moore was undrafted. Meaning Brown & Johnsson are the only 2 late round draft picks rounding out the roster.

He was also clearly referring to defenceman specifically.

What’s your point here ?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Why did badman Hunter pick Marner/Dermott/Korshkov over good BC boys Barzal/Merkley/Clague

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I wonder if part of this is based off of the Leafs having one of the best medical staffs/training groups in the league?
Ennis alluded to it when he signed, that coming off a major injury and trying to rebound his career the Leafs were the best choice.

Coming off a few major injuries including a concussion, I wonder if the combined quality of
a) medical training staff
b) Marlies development which seems to be turning out 'good pros'
made the decision easier for him to stay

As a guy who wants us to keep recruiting the European and NCAA market, having a guy stay around when it would make just as much sense for him to go back to Europe, is a good sign.

Reactions: Its not your fault

horner

May 22, 2007
It doesn't really matter unless Muzzin's signed to an extension.

Rielly/Dermott are locks, with IMO the new RHD this summer as the 3rd.

Most likely option to be lost 2+ years out is Hyman/Bracco
They won't lose Hyman for free
They will protect him

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Hyman will be an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2021. The Leafs aren't going to need to protect him unless they re-sign him early. Sounds like re-signing him early would be a foolish move.

I bet the name the Leafs are guaranteed to lose to Seattle is their Director of Pro Scouting (Troy Bodie).

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Hard to hate this. Could be the "Holl" of next season.
All praise technocrat analytics geek Dubas and his big Leafs Nation disagreeing brain!
Cheap pieces to fit in with the Max Million guys, no middle class, Leafs Nation thinks it's treason!
Looks like the Leafs are planning on resigning guys, and are not interested in talent down the drain!
Borgman the Euro , a good Swede on a sweet deal, Sometimes us Leafs fans just have to make do, enjoy a thinking- man's hockey, and make do with logic, wisdom and reason!

Andreas Borgman

Defense -- shoots L
Born Jun 18 1995 -- Stockholm, Sweden
[23 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 183 [183 cm/83 kg] Andreas Borgman Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Another good, cheap depth signing for next season's cap crunch. Next up Petan and Ozhiganov for the Leafs.

I think they bring back Jordan Subban and Eamon McAdam as goalie #5 for the Marlies, only if Joseph Woll extends his stay in college another season.

Reactions: Mork

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Rosen prior to his injury was playing all-star quality hockey with the Marlies. Only reason why he wasn't up already was because we had a top 6 that was working and him being able to be in AHL without losing a Marincin or Oz.

If Rosen was healthy he would have been called up already and playing with the Gardiner and Dermott injuries. Rosen definitely is your number 5 dman next season replacing Gardiner on the left side. That is huge for the Leafs cap situation and an upgrade on Gardiner as he is better defensively then Gardiner.

As for Borgman, I also believe his game plays better at the NHL level. Only issue is we have enough LHD (Reilly, Muzzin, Dermott, Rosen) ahead of him. Even shifting Dermott to the right there is no room for Borgman, but he will be the first one up.

My comment wasn't meant to slag any of the young D we have, I hope they all succeed. However, the fact remains that whomever makes the team, that group of young D would be led by Dermott with about 100 games of NHL experience. 1st D responsibilities, PP, PK, late in the game shutdown, injuries, etc...they'd be asked, imo, to assume roles due to necessity, that they're not ready to assume. 3 of 6 Dmen that inexperienced would make this year's D corp look pretty darned good.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
He said depth. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Kadi are all first rounders. Dermott is a second. Liljegren & Sandin have yet to play a game in the NHL and are first rounders as well. Moore was undrafted. Meaning Brown & Johnsson are the only 2 late round draft picks rounding out the roster.

He was also clearly referring to defenceman specifically.

What’s your point here ?
My point is we have done an excellent job drafting. I’m happy with Reilly, Dermott, Liljegren and Sandin if we’re, (you’re), talking about defenceman specifically. Even if two haven’t played a game in the nhl yet. They will. And when they do, we will have drafted 4 of our 6 starting defensemen. Nothing questionable about that.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
My point is we have done an excellent job drafting. I’m happy with Reilly, Dermott, Liljegren and Sandin if we’re, (you’re), talking about defenceman specifically. Even if two haven’t played a game in the nhl yet. They will. And when they do, we will have drafted 4 of our 6 starting defensemen. Nothing questionable about that.

Still has absolutely nothing to do with his point. Or my follow up.

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
I like Borgman's game when he was with the big club before being sent down. He played heavy with good speed, won his fair share of puck battles, and didn't mind roughing things up a little, which is what our d needs.
I Don't know how he has done with the Marlies as I don't follow the AHL. I think we should give him a few games given our injuries (over Maricin).

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Rosen and Borgman on cheap contracts splended! Think both would benefit if we're on Leafs as Borgman last season was actually pretty decent. Happy to see Swedes stick around because this team will only get better.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I would say we have turned out quality and amount of players that would out us in the top ten in the last 5 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->