F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Good old Ontario boy!

1297336430883_ORIGINAL.jpg

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
This guy is anything but a lazy player like Colborne. He's from Caledon where I'm from. He's good friends with one of my friends. They skated all summer. He's really built. His necks hug and his snapshot is a cannon. A lot of raw skill. Just needs to put it down at the NHL level. I expect him to have a breakout like kadri did sometime soon.

This move is awesome for both sides. Great job Nonis

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
Supposedly he will be playing tonight too? Awesome, gives me a little more interest in tonights game. Yesterday sorta killed my leaf buzz momentarily haha

Seriously my mood went from bad (after last night) to interest piqued for tonights game. I was quite dreading the game tonight before hearing this trade lol

darty

Dec 1, 2008
Great deal for a team desperate for centermen. Other teams knew our predicament, so to not get ripped off makes for a good deal in my books.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
When Colborne was traded, our depth was Bozak, Kadri, Bolland, McClement. Colborne played with zero heart and determination in the preseason.

Now, we are down Bozak, Kadri, Bolland. We have a winger playing center, and two AHL centers. Do you see now why trading Colborne at the time made sense and how calling that move 'dumb' has no bearing right now? I can't believe people still think we should have kept Colborne.

Exactly, Colborne showed **** all and was beaten out be Ashton for a roster spot. Colborne would've been picked off waivers had we sent him down, needed to get something for him.

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
Which version of Colborne? The perimeter safe player you usually get or how he plays every so often to tease everybody that he could be something significant?

Either one.... I know a lot of prospects but I've never heard of holland sounds like joe Colborne 2.0

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
When Colborne was traded, our depth was Bozak, Kadri, Bolland, McClement. Colborne played with zero heart and determination in the preseason.

Now, we are down Bozak, Kadri, Bolland. We have a winger playing center, and two AHL centers. Do you see now why trading Colborne at the time made sense and how calling that move 'dumb' has no bearing right now? I can't believe people still think we should have kept Colborne.

yes!

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Based on purely numbers, Holland is better than Colborne. Has been a much better scorer at the AHL level. Hasn't really played enough at the NHL level to make many conclusions. Well it's his lucky day ! haha.

leafstilldeath*

Is holland any better the Colborne?

Hard to tell. They are both very similar in skill set and size. Only bad thing? Well if Holland plays more than 25 games the pick we gave up turns to 2nd rounder. And we got what 6th round pick for Colborne.

So technically, if we look at the overall picture we kinda lost more without adding. However, if by some miracle Holland plays well and becomes a long term solution then We win BIG

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Interesting condition on the 3rd rounder. Over 25 games and it becomes a 2nd.

Forced trade so you have to wonder where Holland fell on Nonis' wish list.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Talent Analysis by hockey future

Holland has begun to put his game together in the past couple of seasons. Where he was a player who could have been described as having all the tools but no tool box, Holland has evened out his effort and consistency. He is a big player with a soft touch. Although he is more of a shoot-first center, he has the vision and passing skills to be a respectable setup man.

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Guelph Storm season ticket holder here. I watched Holland for 4 years. He has incredible height and skill set. When he put his mind to it he would dominate games. He just did not do it consistently. You were always waiting for him to go to the next level and be a dominating force all season possibly borne out by the fact he did not make Team Canada juniors. If he can put it all together he will be a great acquisition.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I'm pretty much looking at this deal as Holland for a 2nd and a 7th.

I think I'll reserve judgement until I see him play a few times.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Yes.

People dont look at the whole situation.

I believe Ashton could have been sent down instead though.

Yes Ashton could have been but isn't that the whole movement of "let the better player play instead of letting contracts dictate the roster"? Ashton beat out Colborne HANDILY and Colborne was traded for something rather than being lost for nothing.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I'm pretty much looking at this deal as Holland for a 2nd and a 7th.

I think I'll reserve judgement until I see him play a few times.

Or a 2nd and 7th for a 1st. Seems like a good deal, yes?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Wouldn't they have lost Colborne on waivers at the beginning of the season? A mid round pick is better than nothing.

That's if they waived Colborne. Didn't have to waive him. In fact, I'd be much happier with him on the 4th line than two goons. Butterfly effect: we're now down a depth defenseman and possibly a 2nd.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Of note folks, Leafs had ANA 7th rd pick in the 2014 draft from the Steckel trade, so we basically give this one back.

The 2nd-3rd rd pick is the key here. Blacker was not going to be a Leaf with other prospects ahead of him.

So basically to me it was a 2nd rd pick for Holland. Let's hope it's a 2nd rounder, because it would mean he was useful as it seems to be 25 games to covert this.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Holland's production in both the AHL and NHL is very similar to Kadri's before he made the NHL full time last season. Holland's a year younger too.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I really, really, really, really, really, really hope that pick doesn't become a 2nd rounder. :laugh: I guess this move needed to be made though ha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad