Top UFA Targets for the Habs

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Shocking to me. Ehrhoff, who is 31, was on a long ( 6 years ), but cheap ( $4M per ) contract and Buffalo could not find a trading partner even though so many teams need a PMD and Ehrhoff is a two way guy who can move the puck.

This is like the trade deadline, prices are depressed and the Cap is making its effects known big time.

Need to take advantage here and add a PMD, be it Ehrhoff, Yandle, Niskanen, Edler etc.

To get the most out of a Gorges trade salary will need to be coming back, otherwise it will be for chump change draft pick. Best if in a package.

Moen or White have to be moved as we have too many forwards with my pick being Moen. Let Gio walk. If Briere could be moved then do it, I am sure he will waive given his use and ice-time here.

There is opportunity here to take advantage of. GO MB GO.

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
Willie Mitchell to upgrade one of the weaver/bouillotte bottom D and Iginla to replace Gionta.

I would like Ehroff but he will unfortunatelly get longer terms from another team (PHILLY OBVIOUSLY) and sign there.

Lionel Mandrake

Shocking to me. Ehrhoff, who is 31, was on a long ( 6 years ), but cheap ( $4M per ) contract and Buffalo could not find a trading partner even though so many teams need a PMD and Ehrhoff is a two way guy who can move the puck.

This is like the trade deadline, prices are depressed and the Cap is making its effects known big time.

Need to take advantage here and add a PMD, be it Ehrhoff, Yandle, Niskanen, Edler etc.

To get the most out of a Gorges trade salary will need to be coming back, otherwise it will be for chump change draft pick. Best if in a package.

Moen or White have to be moved as we have too many forwards with my pick being Moen. Let Gio walk. If Briere could be moved then do it, I am sure he will waive given his use and ice-time here.

We already have 3 quality PMDs. I think any upgrade to our D core will come from within, with the maturing of Beaulieu, Tinordi and others. The most pressing need IMO, because we have no short term solution internally, is a scoring winger.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Buffalo could have easily traded Ehrhoff.. they just didnt want to risk the recapture penalty

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Buffalo could have easily traded Ehrhoff.. they just didnt want to risk the recapture penalty

I have no idea what the Recapture Penalty is, please explain, as that might derail my whole rant.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I have no idea what the Recapture Penalty is, please explain, as that might derail my whole rant.

The 2013 CBA states that any long-term contract — defined as seven years or more — entered into on or before Sept. 15, 2012, is eligible for cap advantage recapture if a team received a “cap advantage†from it at the time the player retires or defects from the NHL.

This was made to punish team that signed front loaded contracts with cheap years on the back end.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The 2013 CBA states that any long-term contract — defined as seven years or more — entered into on or before Sept. 15, 2012, is eligible for cap advantage recapture if a team received a “cap advantage†from it at the time the player retires or defects from the NHL.

This was made to punish team that signed front loaded contracts with cheap years on the back end.

Thank you for the explanation.

When I checked Cap Geek I just saw $4M a year and didn't check the contract which paid him $18M in the first 2 years and $1M a year the last couple. This guy hit pay dirt.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
...why??...we have Markov, Beaulieu, Emelin, Gorges, Tinordi, and, if you want to count him, Drewiske already at LD...no room, amigo...

You always have room for a proven PMD like Ehrhoff. I'd prefer Niskanen because he's a righty. But we need better puck moving from our D. Beaulieu would bring that, but he's also young and should be on a bottom pair.
We need to improve our top 4.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Thank you for the explanation.

When I checked Cap Geek I just saw $4M a year and didn't check the contract which paid him $18M in the first 2 years and $1M a year the last couple. This guy hit pay dirt.

Yep, paid 22M for 3 seasons. 7.33M/Per. And he asks to be traded. Forcing the sabres hand to buy him out because they don't want to risk getting hit by 10M cap hit recapture later when they're contending (maybe).

BRILLIANT work by his agent. Ehrhoff is good, but not 7.33M good. Now he can sign another deal after having received half of the total amount of his contract + 860K until 2027-28. Wow.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He plays as a RHD and LHD

You always have room for a proven PMD like Ehrhoff. I'd prefer Niskanen because he's a righty. But we need better puck moving from our D. Beaulieu would bring that, but he's also young and should be on a bottom pair.
We need to improve our top 4.

...we have Subban & Markov as PMDs in our Top 4...Beaulieu & Nygren waiting in the wings...we need defensive partners for them, not more PMDs...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
...why??...we have Markov, Beaulieu, Emelin, Gorges, Tinordi, and, if you want to count him, Drewiske already at LD...no room, amigo...

He's a great skater, which the Habs are lacking on the backend. Great size, good shot. He'd be a nice acquisition.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
There are lots of teams in flux. Chicago still near the Cap and their top guys announcing huge pay raises for themselves after contract expiration, Ehrhoff is bought out, Vancouver retooling, Spezza on move, Teams with Cap issues like BruinsCoyotes need to hit Cap floor, Cap less than expected etc.

MB needs to get out the scalpel and trim to open up Cap space if possible to see if he can take advantage of an opportunity or two.

I know we need a RW but we do need to upgrade on the D in the top 4. Against Rags we were hemmed up in our zone and did not have a transition game. If Markov was not exhausted he could have helped more but even that would not be enough. In regular season relied on Price too much We need another guy to carry out the puck.

Options are Gilbert, Niskanen ( though worried about him having just the one good year), Ehrhoff, possibly Edler in Vancouver.

RW options include Iggy and J. Jokinen.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Ehrhoff is a good Player I also prefer Niskanen since he is a righty will cost to much..
So I go after Ehrhoff and trade Gorges. Since we will trade Markov at the dealine sometime in the next 2 years.

Sign good free agent in their prime year makes sense even if you over pay since they are a asset that can be moved.

Montreal as too much money and not enough assets...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
There are lots of teams in flux. Chicago still near the Cap and their top guys announcing huge pay raises for themselves after contract expiration, Ehrhoff is bought out, Vancouver retooling, Spezza on move, Teams with Cap issues like BruinsCoyotes need to hit Cap floor, Cap less than expected etc.

MB needs to get out the scalpel and trim to open up Cap space if possible to see if he can take advantage of an opportunity or two.

I know we need a RW but we do need to upgrade on the D in the top 4. Against Rags we were hemmed up in our zone and did not have a transition game. If Markov was not exhausted he could have helped more but even that would not be enough. In regular season relied on Price too much We need another guy to carry out the puck.

Options are Gilbert, Niskanen ( though worried about him having just the one good year), Ehrhoff, possibly Edler in Vancouver.

RW options include Iggy and J. Jokinen.

And now we need cap space. And we have wasted 4M on Briere, 1.8M on Moen, and wasted a boatload with the Subban bridge deal silliness.

All of these mistakes force us to be creative right now. We can't acquire anyone until deals are made.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
And now we need cap space. And we have wasted 4M on Briere, 1.8M on Moen, and wasted a boatload with the Subban bridge deal silliness.

All of these mistakes force us to be creative right now. We can't acquire anyone until deals are made.

If I'm not mistaken, we can acquire whoever we want during the summer. I'm pretty sure you can spend over the cap during the off season as long as you get under it by a certain date. Moves can be made later.

Could be wrong though.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Crazy what one year of playing on a PP with Malkin, Crosby, Neal etc will do to your value. Niskanen was putting up similar numbers to Josh Gorges the last 4 years now people want to give him $6 million a year...

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Crazy what one year of playing on a PP with Malkin, Crosby, Neal etc will do to your value. Niskanen was putting up similar numbers to Josh Gorges the last 4 years now people want to give him $6 million a year...

Someone is going to regret that signing badly. Can't believe people want us to sign him.

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad