Top Ten Best players all-time (aesthetically)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
One of the arguments, however serious they may be, for a player is that they simply look like they are a better hockey player skill-wise, size-wise, speed-wise etc... in other words "the eye test". Mario vs. Wayne is a prime example (a big man with a soft hands and a full toolkit of goalscoring wizardry vs. a skinnier forward with average speed).

Who are the Top Ten players all-time (aesthetically)?

Some candidates:

Mario
Jagr
Ovechkin
McDavid
Lindros
Bobby Hull
Bure
Orr
M. Richard
Jagr was not the hockey gods of Gretzky & Lemieux.

He also was clearly head & shoulders above the opposition: a demi-god.

Until Hasek.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Bure? No. Wheels, yeah. Wait,,, aesthetically...

Forsberg, Hawerchuk, Palffy, Datsyuk clearly weaved the puck in traffic exceptionally.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I can't say Hasek cuz he did everything wrong aesthetically speaking... everything looked wrong.

Sergei Berezin, Vincent Lecavalier, Seth Jones, Dan Hamhuis, Jesse Puljujarvi looked right.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
There was a person that came out of nowhere that gave us his top 17 players of all time list recently...and that list there might actually be more random. Hamhuis and Seth Jones on the same track. VL4 and Poolparty.

It's like, "man, I sure love oranges...that's why I always buy vanilla ice cream when it's on sale"

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I think Kovalchuk could have had the most spectacular one timer slapshot from the blueline, the way he winded it, timed it, the flow, how often it ended with a ring of the puck hitting a post with no time to get what happened, obviously there would be competition Hull from a bit anywhere, Ovechkin, etc... but Kovalchuk video compilation of them could be the best one.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
In addition to the many players mentioned, Rousseau and Cournoyer fit the bill in old games I've seen. Hull looks, to me, like the most aesthetically pleasing player of the 1960s overall.

I'd love to have actual first hand knowledge of this but according to reputation Morenz should fit in here.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Okay, players the most pleasing to the eye. I'm just going throw out some names in no particular order.

Gretzky
Lemieux
Kovalev
Datsyuk
Orr
Coffey
Niedermayer
Makarov
Beliveau
Jagr

Honorable mention to the sedins as a tandem.

To me, the players that are most pleasing to watch are the ones that have certain blend of extraordinary talent, who seem two steps ahead of everyone in the game of chess, and make it look effortless.

Neidermayer might stick out like a sore thumb on this list, but I just couldn't ignore his skating stride.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think Kovalchuk could have had the most spectacular one timer slapshot from the blueline, the way he winded it, timed it, the flow, how often it ended with a ring of the puck hitting a post with no time to get what happened, obviously there would be competition Hull from a bit anywhere, Ovechkin, etc... but Kovalchuk video compilation of them could be the best one.

Kovalchuks highlights look like a top 10 player ever. The skating and size combined with those hands and shooting ability looked absolutely unstoppable. I really think he had 60+ goal potential.

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Bay Area
Not in order

Ilya Kovalchuk
Joe Pavelski
Marty Turco
Robert Esche
Kyle McLaren
PK Subban
Alex Ovechkin
Antione Vermette
Jussi Jokinen
Pavel Datsyuk

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In addition to the many players mentioned, Rousseau and Cournoyer fit the bill in old games I've seen. Hull looks, to me, like the most aesthetically pleasing player of the 1960s overall.

I'd love to have actual first hand knowledge of this but according to reputation Morenz should fit in here.

Might say the same for Eddie Shore. In a whole different way.

He was the big ticket item in the late 1920's and 1930's. Puck rushing Dman that loved to hit, and consequentially be hit. Could score, would fight, would be dirty. Loved and hated. Gave the fans their money's worth and then some.

Kovalchuks highlights look like a top 10 player ever. The skating and size combined with those hands and shooting ability looked absolutely unstoppable. I really think he had 60+ goal potential.

Highlights are definitely Kovalchuk's strong point.

Reactions: authentic

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Sudenly a lot of people thinks chook has great highlights, f***ing ridiculous, the only seriously nice moment of him is that play vs philadelfia, outside of that there is tons of players with much more awesome and slick goals and plays

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Sudenly a lot of people thinks chook has great highlights, f***ing ridiculous, the only seriously nice moment of him is that play vs philadelfia, outside of that there is tons of players with much more awesome and slick goals and plays

He looked like a smoother skating Ovechkin with better hands in his prime. Never heard anyone say he doesn’t have great highlights before

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Interesting prompt for a thread. My list is heavily skewed to the era and teams I have watched (western conference post 2002ish). In no order:

Lindros
Coffey
McDavid
Lemieux
Ovechkin
Bure
McDavid
MacKinnon
Datsyuk
Forsberg

HM to Modano, Malkin, Draisaitl, and Hasek.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
There's several ways of looking at this. One is overall variety of talent - players like Harvey, Orr, Makarov, Crosby. These guys are fun to watch in general.

Beautiful skaters and puckhandlers, like Orr, McDavid, Malkin, Bure, etc.

Beautiful passers - Makarov, Gretzky, Lemieux, Forsberg, Kucherov.

Shooters, like Bossy, MacInnis, M. Howe, Pastrnak, etc.

But the most aesthetically beautiful movements is easily young Mogilny. His skating, stickhandling, shooting...he had a deftness of movement that no other hockey player has ever had.

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I always found Yzerman to be an aesthetically pleasing skater. Head up, smoothly slicing through traffic on an angle. I think his profile would make for a great NHL logo similar to Jerry West.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
He has two absolutely ridiculous goals against Carolina. His highlight reel is much more than just that play against Philly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad