Top Ten Best players all-time (aesthetically)

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
In today's league it's Kuznetsov and W. Nylander.

Haven't watched too much of him the last couple of seasons, but doesn't Kuznetsov really suck now?

Such a waste of talent. He was outstanding in the 2018 playoffs. Kovalev-esque in that he should have had a better prime.

William is great to watch. He can be downright dominant and can make it look fairly easy.

Reactions: authentic

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Thomas is among the least pleasing players to watch ever for me. He can't skate, he can't anticipate...he's a mess.

It's like someone went, "What if Donkey Kong became a goalie..."

Give me Carey Price and Martin Brodeur...and to go way back, Gerry McNeill even...

I'm a Euro so I can't watch NHL games all too often. But I do remember his performance at the 2014 Olympics; that's when I understood his greatness. So smooth, so efficient. Someone described his goaltending being like running water. Just beautiful to watch.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Some names maybe not mentioned yet: Perreault, Coffey, Denis Savard, Mogilny.

All of them were just lovely to watch. Mogilny I would say is the only one that did it when he felt like it, but when he did he had all of the tools right there. Perreault is like someone such as Gale Sayers in the NFL. Just stops you in your tracks to watch them. Elegant, graceful and almost as if they are just playing in their own backyard. Sayers reminds me of someone when you watch his highlights that it looks like the whistle was blown and everyone else stops what they are doing except for him. Except the whistle didn't blow. Perreault reminds me a lot like that,

Coffey just because no one skated faster with less effort than him. McDavid is beautiful to watch in full flight, as was Bure, but you watch them and they are clearly skating hard and digging in. MacKinnon too is lovely to watch but he almost looks like he is running on the ice. Coffey would glide on the ice and had the hockey sense to go with it too.

Savard just because no one perfected the spinorama in full flight while on a rush like he did. Before that the spinorama was what Serge Savard or Doug Harvey did to avoid someone, but they did it while at a stand still. Denis did it as he was skating forwards.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
This is incomplete without Lafleur, and Gretzky belongs as well.

Im not sure Richard senior quite belongs here. The Rocket was rocket because of the explosion that usually followed his entrance, totally different from Bure.
I didn't watch Gretzky play live but when I saw him on the screen he always looked like the lesser athletic players out there. I'm talking about sheer movement with and without the puck but ignoring the brilliant passes he made. His skates and stiffy skating style were instantly recognisible, as well as the old clunky mitts. He wasn't a top tier deker or stick handler, either -- the slappers were effective but less pleasing aesthetically than a Sakician wrister.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Guy had the singular sound his skates made, the hair, the big shot, the crowd reaction...
Got to see him at the forum when I was a kid. Whenever he touched the puck people stood up to see what he was going to do. :laugh: And then you’d hear: “Guuuyyyy!”

I was too young to see most of his prime but aesthetically, he was a beautiful player to watch.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The obvious

McDavid
Lemieux
Orr
Coffey
Mogilny
Bure
Ovechkin
MacKinnon
Kovalev
Jagr
Datsyuk
Fedorov
Perrault

Less mentioned

Patrick Kane
Peter Forsberg
Paul Kariya
Erik Karlsson
Cale Makar
Evgeni Malkin
Vincent Lecavalier
Alex Semin
Ilya Kovalchuk
Mats Sundin

Not elite but often looked like it

Nikolai Zherdev
Tim Connolly
Maxim Afinogenov
Ales Hemsky

Lastly I will throw an honourable mention to Thomas Kaberle as a Leafs fan. One of the smoothest skating, stickhandling and passing defensemen I’ve ever seen. He was a pleasure to watch on a nightly basis.

Winger74

Jul 22, 2022
There is a lot of elegant players, obvious names like Bure, Mario, Kariya, Modano, Makarov and others. But in this metrics nobody is better than Fedorov. His skating and play used to be form of art, real poetry in motion, pure ellegance. Figure skater.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Entirely subjective but here’s my list:

Beliveau
Perreault
Makarov
Kharlamov
Lafleur
Lemieux
Fedorov
Coffey
D Savard
Robinson
Kovalev
Datsyuk
Orr
Mcdavid

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Just off the top of my head:

Hasek
Lemieux
Lindros
Forsberg
Orr
Coffey
Datsyuk
Kovalev
Fedorov
Crosby (in his early 20s)

I'll probably remember some and add some honorable mentions

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Feds
Bure
Rick Nash
Bill Guerin
Kovalchuk
Lids
Modano
OZZY could flash the leather but I'm trying to think of someone known for stacking the pads.

The anti smooth for me is Martin straka..skated like a rusty lawn chair.

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
NHL-Only
1) Gilbert Perreault
2) Jaromir Jagr
3) Bobby Orr
4) Mario Lemieux
5) Paul Coffey
6) Jean Beliveau
7) Alexander Mogilny
8) Mike Modano
9) Stephane Richer
10) Evgeni Malkin

Other Sports:
Baseball-Clayton Kershaw
Football-Eric Dickerson/OJ Simpson
Basketball-Magic Johnson

My Best-Carey

Reactions: MadLuke

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Agreed that there are so many, and most of the lists are great.

Disagree with the guy who thinks OV doesn’t belong, the guy is my size (6’3” 230) but all muscle and goes 1,000,000mph crashing into people and scored ridiculous iconic goals with regularity in his prime.

I am a little miffed there is no love for my dude, the all timer, Brian Leetch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Going to add..
U Krupp
Eric Daze
And Chelios.. Chelli was actually smooth with a HOF face wash.

You just reminded me of another player I don’t think has been mentioned and that’s Jeremy Roenick. He was fast, physical, and could stick handle and shoot the puck, sort of like an Ovechkin lite

Reactions: TheAngryHank

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
You just reminded me of another player I don’t think has been mentioned and that’s Jeremy Roenick. He was fast, physical, and could stick handle and shoot the puck, sort of like an Ovechkin lite
Believe it or not I modeled my play style based on JR.. dude was pure effort ,never forget Hatcher turning his jaw to saw dust.

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3