Top Ten Best players all-time (aesthetically)

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
One of the arguments, however serious they may be, for a player is that they simply look like they are a better hockey player skill-wise, size-wise, speed-wise etc... in other words "the eye test". Mario vs. Wayne is a prime example (a big man with a soft hands and a full toolkit of goalscoring wizardry vs. a skinnier forward with average speed).

Who are the Top Ten players all-time (aesthetically)?

Some candidates:

Mario
Jagr
Ovechkin
McDavid
Lindros
Bobby Hull
Bure
Orr
M. Richard

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Aesthetics is partly subjective, I guess, but Ovi over Fedorov for aesthetics makes zero sense.

Also, while Jagr makes sense from a skill and skating perspective, his over-the-top mullet and over-sized butt work still takes him down a notch in my book.

Btw, we're long overdue for an aesthetics thread, it's an underrated aspect of sports in general.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Aesthetics is partly subjective, I guess, but Ovi over Fedorov for aesthetics makes zero sense.

Also, while Jagr makes sense from a skill and skating perspective, his over-the-top mullet and over-sized butt work still takes him down a notch in my book.

Btw, we're long overdue for an aesthetics thread, it's an underrated aspect of sports in general.
As you said, it's pretty subjective. They both have world class skating, stickhandling and shot arsenals to go along with size. Just very different approachess, Some probably prefer the explosiveness of Ovechkin to Fedorov's elegance

Speaking of elegance, very few compare to perrault when it comes to stickhandling/skating.

Reactions: authentic

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
There's something beautiful about the way prime Jonathan Quick tended net. By no means an oversized goalie, he relied on athleticism and incredible edgework to make huge saves look easy. When he was on, he was about as in control as a goalie can be - while still making those jaw dropping scramble saves that show even the most aesthetic goalie still has to embrace the chaos of the position once in awhile. You also can't deny the majesty of the name "Quick" appearing on the nameplate of a champion goaltender.

The bigger goalies of today's era just don't have that same aesthetic appeal, even if they are superhuman athletes. It's similar to "shorter" guys in basketball pulling off the more visually appealing dunks than the giants who make it look routine.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
There's something beautiful about the way prime Jonathan Quick tended net. By no means an oversized goalie, he relied on athleticism and incredible edgework to make huge saves look easy. When he was on, he was about as in control as a goalie can be - while still making those jaw dropping scramble saves that show even the most aesthetic goalie still has to embrace the chaos of the position once in awhile. You also can't deny the majesty of the name "Quick" appearing on the nameplate of a champion goaltender.

The bigger goalies of today's era just don't have that same aesthetic appeal, even if they are superhuman athletes. It's similar to "shorter" guys in basketball pulling off the more visually appealing dunks than the giants who make it look routine.

I'm not that big of a goalie guy in general, but Quick against Vegas in the 2018 playoffs was amazing to watch. A bit Ironic how some people obsess over Ws as a goalie stat since LA lost in 4 straight that series. Another favourite goalie is Irbe.

Wasn't Semin pretty fast though? I'm thinking a slow-ass player. Adam Oates or Jason Allison?

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
This is incomplete without Lafleur, and Gretzky belongs as well.

Im not sure Richard senior quite belongs here. The Rocket was rocket because of the explosion that usually followed his entrance, totally different from Bure.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
If we are going off a combo of both physical looks and actual play, I'd have to go with guys like Lindros, Lemieux, Howe, Hull, Messier, S Stevens. Guys that looked like they would be good players in a random lineup and also looked good in actual play.

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
One of the arguments, however serious they may be, for a player is that they simply look like they are a better hockey player skill-wise, size-wise, speed-wise etc... in other words "the eye test". Mario vs. Wayne is a prime example (a big man with a soft hands and a full toolkit of goalscoring wizardry vs. a skinnier forward with average speed).

Who are the Top Ten players all-time (aesthetically)?

Some candidates:

Mario
Jagr
Ovechkin
McDavid
Lindros
Bobby Hull
Bure
Orr
M. Richard

I like your list. Is there any room for a Zetterburg here?

Branching out on the matter of aesthetics, I wonder how long it might take for somebody here to recognize this guy? May make for a fun thread:

mike tyson.png

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Needs to be a dangerous shooter though, Ray Sheppard?

I don't even remember how he looked, or if I ever even watched him play. Clearly remember the player/name though. But I'm thinking since Tiss was a midfielder it must be a C, at least in my own mind.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
This is incomplete without Lafleur, and Gretzky belongs as well.

Im not sure Richard senior quite belongs here. The Rocket was rocket because of the explosion that usually followed his entrance, totally different from Bure.
Want to have coffee?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Thomas is among the least pleasing players to watch ever for me. He can't skate, he can't anticipate...he's a mess.

It's like someone went, "What if Donkey Kong became a goalie..."

Give me Carey Price and Martin Brodeur...and to go way back, Gerry McNeill even...

Martin Brodeur?

What's aesthetically pleasing about watching a goalie clear the puck more often than he stops a shot?

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad