Prospect Info: Top Prospects Poll 2019

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
All the generic stuff your saying you could say about every prospect before they played in the nhl lol
That's right. That's exactly the point. Now you're getting it!

We've got a lot of prospects to be more excited about, and most of them are younger and/or have already proven more against professional competition.

I wish the best for David Cotton. Seriously, I do. And if her blows it out at BC, signs with us after he wins the NCAA championship and the Hobey Baker, and leads the Checkers in a deep playoff run, I'll be delighted.

Until something like that happens, though, he's not one of our top prospects. That's just the math.

And honestly, if I'm David Cotton and all that stuff *does* happen, I probably wait it out and sign wherever I want as a UFA, because with the way our system is stocked, his shortest path to the NHL almost certainly takes him somewhere else. So even if he is as good as you say, I think our likelihood of signing him at this point is slim.

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Oh I see you’re one of those people that love them prospects young... I see it all the time in HF... a year after a guys drafted he falls from a 2nd in value to a 6th

Always the new shiner toy... so of course a prospect steadily developing as a late round pick will be seen as an afterthought

Reactions: Unsustainable

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
You guys signed Dzingle right?

You should check out where he was drafted and what he was doing at 21/22/23

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Oh I see you’re one of those people that love them prospects young... I see it all the time in HF... a year after a guys drafted he falls from a 2nd in value to a 6th

Lucky for us, David Cotton started as a 6th! Let us know when he proves us wrong by playing an NHL game.

Always the new shiner toy... so of course a prospect steadily developing as a late round pick will be seen as an afterthought

Look, man. I don't give a shit about David Cotton because he's probably not gonna make the NHL, and even if he does, he's probably not gonna do it with us because his path to the NHL is easier going some other way.

Maybe you're right about David Cotton. It doesn't matter.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
We might all be underrating Helvig.

His GAA would place him 9th all time for 21-year-olds in the ECHL. He would move Grubauer down to 10th. His sv%, wins, and shutouts would be ahead of Grubauer as a 21-year-old. I know goalies have a unique development curve (there are many on those same lists who never even succeeded in the AHL), still Helvig had an excellent year.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Why sign Ryan Dzingle... he was a late rd pick and only had 17 goals in 66GP (AHL) when he was Cotton age

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
What in the hell?

Why would CAR care how many goals a guy scored 5 years ago in the minor leagues? They care that Dzingel has scored over 20g in the past 2 seasons in the NHL.

Are you related to David Cotton?

So your saying a late round pick continues developing... interesting

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Like I’m shocked the Preds dealt Subban to the Devils with Jeremy Davies as prominent prospect heading back the other way since the kids 23 and just out of college

Kids career is basically over jeez

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Dude, you're being stunningly hard-headed. And for 20 people on a message board to all agree with that in less than 24 hours, that's pretty amazing.

It's a prospect *ranking*. Nobody's "sleeping" on Cotton just because we have prospects who are younger, further along in their development, and have higher upsides. We know all about David Cotton. We've seen him at prospect camp four times. We have a ton of respect for what he's doing.

He's about our 17th best prospect.

The fact that you refuse to understand that he's not a lock for anything and you continue to fight for something that is clearly unknown -- despite *two* players with similar paths having success in the NHL -- just means you're not very smart.

You guys signed Dzingle right?

You should check out where he was drafted and what he was doing at 21/22/23

At 21, Dzingel had played his last game at Ohio State (left after junior season). Three weeks after turning 22, he was in the AHL. Then, he spent his entire age 22 season in the AHL, which Cotton is about to spend in the NCAA. He got 30 games in the NHL in his age 23 season. Dzingel had 14g-18a-32pts in 81 NHL games in his age 24 season.

Cotton is tracking to be *two* seasons behind Dzingel. On top of that, Dzingel is the exception, not the rule. And on top of that, Dzingel is a middle-six forward who is already capped out in terms of potential. I'm not sure how you can understand all this and not get that Cotton is a good player, but not an elite prospect.

Ah...congrats, you’re the 2nd poster to make my ignore list.

That's gotta be some kind of record for speed to ignore list.

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I’ve bookmarked the page so when Cotton makes it I’ll be sure to remind you :)

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Like I’m shocked the Preds dealt Subban to the Devils with Jeremy Davies as prominent prospect heading back the other way since the kids 23 and just out of college

Kids career is basically over jeez

Nope. But can we agree, since he's about to turn 23 and hasn't yet played a single pro game, that he's not going to be Aaron Ekblad? And even Noah Hanifin is a stretch? And Neal Pionk is probably best-case scenario?

Reactions: Unsustainable

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Define "makes it."

Because you didn't just say he was going to "make it." You said he belonged much higher on our prospect list and that we were "sleeping" on him. So not only does he have to "make it," but he has to have a better NHL career than the 16 guys ahead of him on the list.

This prospect ranking isn't a "who is going to play one game in the NHL" list. It's about which players have a chance to make an impact on an NHL team's chances of winning games at the NHL level. I have very little doubt that Cotton "makes it" to the NHL. I also have very little doubt he has little-to-no impact once he gets there. That matters in a prospect ranking.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Define "makes it."

Plays in the NHL as a regular
15-18 minutes a night

If not on Carolina he will play somewhere else... he’s a big guy, who can skate and is reliable in the defensive end... these types always get opportunities especially when they can bury the puck

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
15-18 minutes a night

If not on Carolina he will play somewhere else... he’s a big guy, who can skate and is reliable in the defensive end... these types always get opportunities especially when they can bury the puck

I'll bookmark this. And when Cotton becomes nothing more than a fringe AHL/NHL tweener who aspires to be Jimmy Vesey, I'll be sure to let you know.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I'll bookmark this. And when Cotton becomes nothing more than a fringe AHL/NHL tweener who aspires to be Jimmy Vesey, I'll be sure to let you know.

What’s wrong with Jimmy Vesey... he just had a career 17G 35 point season... right around the age Dzingle first broke 20G

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
15-18 minutes a night

17th best prospect and he has never ranked above #12 in any rendition of this poll since he was drafted

he will sign an ELC after his season at BC and join the legion of good prospects in Charlotte. only then will it remotely make sense to obstinately park your mobility scooter in prospect threads and talk about how right you're going to be

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If you actually remember that you bookmarked some post in a couple of years, and find that you are still upset over these back and forth discussions here, and then come back to post it to "remind him".....well, I just hope the rest of your life is more enjoyable to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad