Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects

Johnny Danger

Jul 7, 2002
Suisse
Visit site
right, but Stenlund played in Atlantic Hockey, so against weaker competition. there won't be that much interest. and Berglund ... just played 11 games in his 2nd year. Was he hurt? I think there's no hurry to sign him. he will come back to UMass next year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I know everybody is joking about the timing of the Kovalchuk announcement and Seattle officially entering the league, but perhaps Mann to the Kraken?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How come some European players were able to play in the NCAA even after playing in the pros? Seems like mostly it’s Finns.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
How come some European players were able to play in the NCAA even after playing in the pros? Seems like mostly it’s Finns.

Like?

I've seen Euros go through USHL and play in the NCAA... not sure if I've seen/heard them play pros before.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

If they are playing U20...they aren't pros. It's when they jump to Liiga or Mestis that they become pros and lose their eligibility.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

They can't. Can understand the confusion as in many countries the youth and men's teams are the same club.

However, in recent years, particularly in Finland, there have been several players talented enough to play for the men's club that instead played for the U20 team to maintain their NCAA eligibility.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
More than likely AHL deals since there was no season but wondering if Princeton goalie Ryan Ferland or forward Luke Keenan get an opportunity anywhere this year.

Ferland backstopped the Tigers during their ECAC championship his freshman season and it would have been interesting to see how his senior season went. Keenan was a sound two-way forward whose numbers were a bit lower than expected as the Tigers struggled to score and were more of a defense first team.

Princeton was poised for a bounce back year before the season was cancelled.

In terms of potential UFAs next spring, center Christian O'Neill is the proverbial 200-foot player worth keeping an eye on.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
He is not an NHLer. He could make a good career in the AHL (and maybe see a handful of games as an injury fill in) or Europe.

What's the salary difference between an AHL contract and Europe? Just curious, seems Europe would probably pay much better, but you'd have other things to consider.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
What's the salary difference between an AHL contract and Europe? Just curious, seems Europe would probably pay much better, but you'd have other things to consider.

That depends on the league and other factors; a player's age being a big one.

For NHL guys in their first contract it is quite possible to make more in Europe than they would in the AHL.

The AHL also limits the number of veteran players a team can have so there are only a handful of players receiving contracts in the $100 k plus range in the AHL.

Where Europe is an attractive financial option is for those players stuck in the ECHL-AHL range; good players who may not have NHL potential and thus not worth NHL clubs signing them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kopperud off to a great start this season at ASU, will be interesting to see where he signs.

I hope the Habs get Primeau, perhaps getting to play in front of his brother in Laval would help the case. He's off to a good start as well at UNO.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Surely Ben Meyers has some NHL upside?
Yes but I don't think he's taken the step he needs to yet to avoid lots of AHL time.

He should probably come back for his senior year next year with his linemates Knies and Lucius more comfortable in their second year. Then after that I could see two or three of them signing contracts.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Purely based on numbers, Cornell's Colton Young seemed to struggle last year (Covid?) but he's scored six goals in the Raiders' first seven games.

Anything to see with him or some of the other Raiders or is this just a reflection of the early schedule?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Was looking around at some swedes who plays in NCAA.

Emil Zetterquist dont play much, but when he does, he does it very well. Goalie.

Carl Berglund, Wilmer Skoog and Jacob Bengtsson has all good size and is PPG right now.

Hampus Eriksson has monster size and 7 points in 5 games.

Jacob Nordqvist has put up good amount of points for years in NCAA and always have good +. He is a d.

Could any of these guys get a NHL or AHL contract?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Emil Zetterquist dont play much, but when he does, he does it very well. Goalie.

Carl Berglund, Wilmer Skoog and Jacob Bengtsson has all good size and is PPG right now.

Jacob Nordqvist has put up good amount of points for years in NCAA and always have good +. He is a d.

I would have to look up some of these players, so when I have some free time I will but I do hope the Habs try and sign Skoog.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

Looking forward to seeing Zetterquist play for the Saints later this season. His numbers are very good to start the year after a big post-season in the abridged ECAC tournament last spring. Can he maintain his level of play over a full season?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
With regards to Carl Berglund, his numbers at Lowell suggest he would have gotten a look at development camp from some team had there been normal off-seasons the past two years. UM-L is generally a sum of its parts team that plays a strong system and relies on team play more than blue chip players but they have had the odd player make it to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad