Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Unheralded goalie and almost no mention on these pages - 21-year-old Yaniv Perets raised his record to 10-0-2 with seven shutouts to start the year for Quinnipiac.

Ironically, he was slated to start the year behind Notre Dame transfer Dylan St. Cyr.

Is there anything worth knowing or is it more the case of playing behind a strong team?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Ok so who are some of the top names for this years class of College UFAs?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Ok so who are some of the top names for this years class of College UFAs?

Probably can scroll back through a few pages and catch some of the names. Here's an article from the start of the season: On Campus: 10 potential free agents being evaluated by NHL teams

The group this season is rated as average by NHL scouts.

"There no one big blue-chip guy that will have 32 offers," said one evaluator.

Author lists in alphabetically order: Parker Ford, Ethen Frank, Riese Gaber, Akito Hiorse, Marc McLaughlin, Ben Meyers, Travis Mitchell, Brandon Scanlin, Bobby Trivigno, Taylor Ward

Meyers/McLaughlin made Team USA for the Olympics. Another undrafted Olympian Strauss Mann ended up in Sweden after leaving Michigan. Small sample size, but Mann's numbers in Sweden have been solid. So maybe he gets an ELC this time around.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thoughts on Anton Malmstrom?

Can't say I've seen him play, but I always assume the Kings would be familiar with anybody on Bowling Green with the Rob Blake / Nelson Emerson connection. Looks like he attended Bruins prospect camp a few months back: Players That Impressed At This Weeks Bruins Development Camp

Malmstrom is not a name I had heard of heading into this Bruins development camp. However, a scout that works for the Bruins organization was kind enough to share with me that “he is a guy to watch” that might not be on everyone’s radar. That advice did not disappoint. One of the primary characteristics to look for in a defenseman you’re unfamiliar with is poise and comfort with the puck. Malmstrom had both of those when participating in drills and scrimmages. Currently, Malmstrom is set to play another season at Bowling Green State University but will undoubtedly be interesting to watch as he continues to develop.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

member 334057

Unheralded goalie and almost no mention on these pages - 21-year-old Yaniv Perets raised his record to 10-0-2 with seven shutouts to start the year for Quinnipiac.

Ironically, he was slated to start the year behind Notre Dame transfer Dylan St. Cyr.

Is there anything worth knowing or is it more the case of playing behind a strong team?
He plays behind a very strong defensive team and rarely gets tested. One of his shutouts he only faced 7 shots, 2 shutouts facing only 12 shots, 2 facing 13 shots. He's only faced over 20 shots in 2 games and has mostly played against relatively weak competition, their schedule hasn't really been all that difficult thus far. Not saying he hasn't played well, but that could be why he gets so little attention.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
He plays behind a very strong defensive team and rarely gets tested. One of his shutouts he only faced 7 shots, 2 shutouts facing only 12 shots, 2 facing 13 shots. He's only faced over 20 shots in 2 games and has mostly played against relatively weak competition, their schedule hasn't really been all that difficult thus far. Not saying he hasn't played well, but that could be why he gets so little attention.
Yeah it can be hard to seperate a Goalie from their team and defence. Saying that he is 16 games in with a .948 save percentage.
For a previous job I sat in on a few video reviews of interview session for an OHL team, and a young goalie the team was unsure of put it this way.
Paraphrased but "I can only stop the pucks that get through, and I dont think I should be punished for playing on a good team. My save % is high and the shot totals were low because I dont give up rebounds, and I know where to deflect the puck to make sure my D can get it. Their confidence in me and my abilities let us play so well." Kid was really well spoken, and has gone onto a decent career.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Not to mention St Cry who is only like 5’7 is having a great year too. Not saying Perets can’t sign a pro contract and develop but Quinnipiac is great defensively

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Darren Dreger mentioned some teams have been "heavily" scouting Corey Andonovski from Princeton. They aren't expected to go too deep into the postseason, so he could sign in early March if Princeton doesn't get out of the first round of the ECAC tournament. If Andonovski signs, he'd get a two year ELC.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Darren Dreger mentioned some teams have been "heavily" scouting Corey Andonovski from Princeton. They aren't expected to go too deep into the postseason, so he could sign in early March if Princeton doesn't get out of the first round of the ECAC tournament. If Andonovski signs, he'd get a two year ELC.

Andonovski's size and shooting ability make him an intriguing prospect but in terms of NHL potential amongst Princeton forwards it would seem the better prospects may be the aforementioned Evans (who just returned from injury) or 200-foot forward Christian O'Neill.

Amongst the underclassmen, Spencer Kersten is smaller than the others is probably their most skilled player.

The best NHL prospect for the Tigers may be freshman defenseman Noah De la Durantaye.

Reactions: Jorma Heart

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Tidbit from Elliotte Friedman: 32 Thoughts: Could the Predators trade Filip Forsberg? - Sportsnet.ca

16. One undrafted free agent to watch: Port Coquitlam, BC’s Clay Stevenson, who plays goal at NCAA Dartmouth. Stevenson has a .925 save percentage (third in the ECAC) for the Big Green, who are 5-13-2 in conference play. He’s facing 33 shots per night. Their final regular-season game is Saturday, and NHL teams are making pitches.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Credit the posters for their contributions, I look forward to additions and corrections. I took a shot at trying to break these prospects down by position and added what's already been mentioned and what I was able to find.

Goalies:
Yaniv Perets: 6'1, 181 (L). Quinnipac
Emil Zetterquist: 6'1, 190. (L). St Lawrence Univ.
-'20-21 NCAA (ECAC) Champs, Swedish.
Strauss Mann: 6'0, 175. (L). University of Michigan.
-playing in Sweden (Skellaftea, US Olympic team.
-was Captain at Michigan, from Greenwich CT.
Brandon Bussi: 6'5, 209. (L). Western Michigan.
-from Long Island (Sound Beach). Some interest
from a couple of teams, grew up a Rangers fan.
Clay Stevenson: 6'4, 194. (R). Dartmouth.
-attended Sharks development camp.

Defense:
Jake Livingstone: 6'3, 205. (R). Minnesota State.
-Creston, BC. Could remain in NCAA (sophomore).
Brandon Scanlin: 6'4, 213. (L). Univ Nebraska Omaha.
-from Hamilton area. Attended Bruins Dev. camp.
Anton Malmstrom: 6'4, 203. (L). Bowling Green.
-Bruins development camp. Osterhaninge, SWE.
Travis Mitchell: 6'3, 207. (L). Cornell University.
-attended Bruins dev. camp. South Lyon, MI.
Akito Hirose: 6'0, 191. (L). Minnesota State.
-bro of Taro (DET), teammate of Livingstone. CGY.
Nick Blankenburg: 5'9, 174. (R). Michigan State.
-Captain, paired with O. Power (BUF). Michigan.
Jacob Nordqvist:5'9, 181.(R). Lake Superior.
-NCAA (WCAC) champ '20-21. Goteborg, SWE.
Zach Metsa: 5'9, 181. (R). Quinnipac.
-Wisconsin. Teammate of Perets (G).

Forwards:
Parker Ford: 5'9, 185. C/RW (R). Providence.
-Wakefield, RI. Attended Bruins development camp.
Marc McLaughlin: 6'0, 205. C (R). Boston College.
-Captain, here and elsewhere. US Olympic team.
-N. Billerica, MA. Bruins development camp.
Bobby Trivigno: 5'8, 165. (L). UMASS.
-invited to Rangers camp (couldn't...NCAA rules).
-Rangers fan. Long Island (Setauket).
Riese Gaber: 5'8, 160. RW (R). U. Nebraska Omaha.
-Manitoba (Gilbert Plains).
Carl Berglund: 6'2, 194. C/RW (L). U Mass Lowell.
-Karlstad, SWE. Penguins fan. Speaks Spanish.
Maxim Andreev: 6'0, 183. C (L). Cornell.
-teammate of T. Mitchell, and J. Malone (VAN).
-Moskva, Russia.
Ben Meyers: 5'11, 200. C/LW. (L). Univ Minnesota.
-attended Bruins dev. camp.
-Delano, Minnesota. Wild said have interest.
Ethen Frank: 5'11, 185. C (R). Western Michigan.
-attended Dallas' dev. camp. Sharks interested (?)
-Papillion, Nebraska.
Taylor Ward: 6'2, 205. RW (R). Univ. Nebraska Omaha.
-Kelowna, BC. Son of Dixon.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Also not sure he'll leave after this year, but I thought Declan Carlile from Merrimack was draftable in the most recent draft. He'd be another one I'd keep an eye on.
From last year - Signed with Tampa today.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad