Speculation: Top offseason target: Mike Babcock

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
IMO, the Oilers won't get Babcock because he won't want to come to Edmonton.

But I don't understand fans who would rather have Nelson. Really? It's absolute madness to me. Is it because the Oilers have beaten up on the Avalanche and Stars and Leafs over the last 10 games? Give your heads a shake. This team still stinks. Babcock might not be able to turn the team around, but the guy carries some weight, would be able to stand up to MacT when he tries to do something dumb and commands respect from the players.

Nelson over Babcock. Now I've heard it all.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
You know I know it's crazy, but I stick with Nelson. Even over an experienced coach.

I think it's bad karma to keep turfing coaches like this. Who knows, maybe one day Nelson is the next McLennan, Babcock, Quennville, himself. And it's hard on the players to keep switching to a new system/having to learn from scratch.

That's the same reasoning used to keep Eakins for a second year, shows how much karma is worth.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's not just about the coaching pedigree, it speaks for itself, but don't you think more players want to play under Babcock? It might help in luring free agents.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Eakins deserved to get fired (about 10 times over). Krueger didn't and Nelson doesn't.

Why does everyone assume that bringing in a new coach means Nelson gets fired? He doesn't look ready to be an NHL coach... yet. Learning from the best would only be beneficial, would it not?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why does everyone assume that bringing in a new coach means Nelson gets fired? He doesn't look ready to be an NHL coach... yet. Learning from the best would only be beneficial, would it not?

He looks ready to me.

I don't think anyone's banging on our door to coach here anyway, not unless it's like Marc Crawford.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
I think the only way this happens would involve a window-less van, a bottle of chloroform and a burlap sack.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the only way this happens would involve a window-less van, a bottle of chloroform and a burlap sack.

Like Borat looking for a wife...

Thats the only way the Oilers get Babcock.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Like Borat looking for a wife...

Thats the only way the Oilers get Babcock.

Ha, old Borat didnt do to bad for himself, Isla Fisher aint half bad.

You never know unless you try, Babcock might see the Oilers as a good fit and it's possible Katz offers whatever it takes to get him here including roster decision making power.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
You think MacT would relinquish any roster control to Babcock? I doubt it. The team needs a competent GM before they need a new coach. I honestly doubt Babcock would come here if he had to be under Lowe/MacT.

This team needs a competent President before it needs a new GM.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Nelson would likely go somewhere else, as he would think he deserves a shot at being a permanent HC position here.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Nelson would likely go somewhere else, as he would think he deserves a shot at being a permanent HC position here.

He probably does, but I doubt anyone hires him until they find out if Babcock is interested in their team. Anyone considering a coaching change will talk to him once he's free.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Season ends
Carolina wins lottery
Carolina fires coach
Oilers diddle on fully hiring Nelson
Throw all the money at Babcock
Babcock goes to Toronto
Nelson goes to Carolina in mean time
Oilers don't have coach
Oilers rehire Eakins

The Kevin MacTavish Way.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This team needs a competent President before it needs a new GM.

Very true. Although I think Bob Nicholson can easily be that guy. He's got as good a resume you could ask for. So they just need to turf MacT/Lowe and go from there. We've got the replacement president in place.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Very true. Although I think Bob Nicholson can easily be that guy. He's got as good a resume you could ask for. So they just need to turf MacT/Lowe and go from there. We've got the replacement president in place.

Hes got the easiest resume anyone could ask for. A toddler with a Ouija board could have picked most of those Canadian teams.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He looks ready to me.

I don't think anyone's banging on our door to coach here anyway, not unless it's like Marc Crawford.
Nelson does the following...

-Gets his players to play with passion
- Has offensive players actually scoring
-Did a complete 180 with the pp
- Has done better then Eakins with a by far worse roster
- Has our prospects and AHL call ups looking decent to good
-Has the teams respect and admiraton
- Has made playoffs in every league he has headcoached and always succeeded.

What does he need to do to show he is worth the job? Make the playoffs with one of the bottom 3 defensive cores in the league and worst goaltending?

He has done more then enough with what he has had

McDeathbyCheerios*

Hes got the easiest resume anyone could ask for. A toddler with a Ouija board could have picked most of those Canadian teams.
He built a balanced roster instead of most fans just wanting stars everywhere.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
He built a balanced roster instead of most fans just wanting stars everywhere.

I'm pretty sure Steve Yzerman might have had a bit of say in there somewhere.

Nicholson was the President, not the GM, and unlike here, most organizations let the designated individuals do their jobs.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

As you pointed out, he didn't pick the team. He picked the people who picked the team. He's as connected in the hockey world as anyone and would have a lot of pull among potential GMs imo.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
As you pointed out, he didn't pick the team. He picked the people who picked the team. He's as connected in the hockey world as anyone and would have a lot of pull among potential GMs imo.

Now that I'll agree with! :D

People always seem to think that Nicholson picks the teams, he just appoints the people he feels should pick the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad