Speculation: Top offseason target: Mike Babcock

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
First off, yes. Everyone knows the player situation need to be addressed. That is obvious regardless of who coaches.

But for coaching, as well as Nelson has done, Mike Babcock has to be the team's primary target for the offseason. Whatever it takes. It's rumoured he likes the role Roy has in Colorado where he gets some input on player decisions. If the Oilers offered him that, along with big bucks and long term, say 25-30M over 5y, would that be enough to lure him here?

As poorly as the Oilers have performed, to most that watch, it is less a problem with the core guys as the rest of the team. Adding a solid support structure around a core of Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Draisaitl, the 2015 1st, Pouliot, Nurse, Klefbom and Schultz would dramatically improve the team in a hurry. Babcock would know that his reputation adds instant credibility to an organization and he'd have a say in choosing the players to fill around those young guys. He could rebound this Oilers quickly with some of the bigger names that might be willing to chase a coach like him to a young core like Edmonton's.

I expect TO is thinking something similar, and they do have deeper pocketbooks than the Oilers. But they are also further away from competing with their intention of selling off Kessel and Phaneuf, and entering a rebuild. Edmonton's, at least in theory, should be nearing its end. But the Oilers would still have to offer up beaucoup dollars to compete with a TO offer. Is 6M a year even enough? TO tossed 5M at Burke and they weren't half the mess they are now. I could see them offering a truly huge number. Maybe even 7 or 8. Hell would even 10 be that big a surprise?

How high do you thing Katz should go to get Babcock here?

Like I said near the top, my thoughts are whatever it takes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You think MacT would relinquish any roster control to Babcock? I doubt it. The team needs a competent GM before they need a new coach. I honestly doubt Babcock would come here if he had to be under Lowe/MacT.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He won't come here. Simple as that. He will stay in Detroit, get paid out the butt in Toronto.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Mike Babcock can be GM, President and head coach.

Just give him the keys.

I'd love to have him run the bench. Not sure I'd want him to be the GM. I want someone with some management experience in there. And unless I'm mistaken, he has none.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
You think MacT would relinquish any roster control to Babcock? I doubt it. The team needs a competent GM before they need a new coach. I honestly doubt Babcock would come here if he had to be under Lowe/MacT.

True, but someone wised up, and MacT's consistent defense of Eakins showed whoever overruled him on that decision that he may not be the right person for the job, it isn't impossible that MacT's promoted out of the position.

At least in my fantasy world it isn't impossible. Just really, really, really unlikely. But I thought the same about Eakins being fired and someone in the organization with some weight behind his voice surprised me.

I will remain hopeful until Babcock signs elsewhere that that one voice of reason in the organization can make this happen. Babcock is just so obviously a perfect option.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
He won't come here. Simple as that. He will stay in Detroit, get paid out the butt in Toronto.

I don't see Holland relinquishing any player decision control. If that is important to Babcock he probably won't sign in Detroit.

TO, like I said, is a concern.

I'd love to have him run the bench. Not sure I'd want him to be the GM. I want someone with some management experience in there. And unless I'm mistaken, he has none.

I would definitely be ok with him having a voice in choosing players. He has proven he's good at that with his roster spots for prospects decision making.

I would like someone else to handle the day to day stuff so he doesn't get burned out. I mostly see him as a "big picture" personnel decision guy instead on the one making calls and negotiating contracts.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This whole thing with Babcock is so overhyped.

Babcock just wants more money from Detroit and he'll get it.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Great coaches always fail at being GMs.
Mediocre coaches do even worse (Craig MacTavash)

Let the Leafs overpay him to do nothing.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm torn on going for a new coach. Nelson is doing a good job and it's obvious that the players like playing for him but if a Babcock, Tippet, Mclleland or Hitchcock become available you at least have to interview them.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
Babcock's upside for us is that:
- he runs systems that allow skill players to thrive
- he always gets the most out of his teams
- great with grooming youth
- vets will sign or re-sign to play with his teams

Plan A: get Babcock at any price.

loller12

Mar 29, 2010
Just because Babcock is a good coach doesn't mean that he knows how to build a team; i'd be reluctant to give any coach control of the roster. Look what happened when Darryl Sutter transitioned from coach to GM, he is the prime example why you don't let coaches even come close to make roster decisions.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Babcock is a pipe dream. Plus, it looks like the team is vastly improved under Nelson with a significantly worse roster than Eakins. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Priority #1 should be cleaning out management. Scouting is a close 2nd

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
I think Nelson is doing a great job with this group. I think he has finally gotten through to some of these kids and it shows with their on ice performance. I think that the Oilers need some consistency and getting another coach is not the answer. I agree that management needs the boot before anyone else. Then new management can evaluate the scouting and player personal. Nelson does not deserve to be another casualty in this situation, look at the **** show he was handed from Eakins.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Babcock is a pipe dream. Plus, it looks like the team is vastly improved under Nelson with a significantly worse roster than Eakins. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Priority #1 should be cleaning out management. Scouting is a close 2nd

The team hasnt vastly improved under Nelson, they were vastly under achieving under Eakins. With Nelson we've just returned to the state the team was in 2 years ago before MacT hired the cancer. That hire is a good part of the reason I agree with your priority #1, that we still need improvement in our scouting after all this time is also a reason why priority #1 is true and more than that our horrible record of developing players is another reason why we need to turf the entire management team.

I still think Babcock is a good choice for a manager/coaching position and Bob Nicholson should give him a call as soon as he's available.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Not particularly interested TBH. Not entirely certain how Babcock could really do all that much more than Nelson.

I think Nelson and this team with some addition of quality defense and a goalie would be about as good as it could get tbh.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The team hasnt vastly improved under Nelson, they were vastly under achieving under Eakins. With Nelson we've just returned to the state the team was in 2 years ago before MacT hired the cancer. That hire is a good part of the reason I agree with your priority #1, that we still need improvement in our scouting after all this time is also a reason why priority #1 is true and more than that our horrible record of developing players is another reason why we need to turf the entire management team.

I still think Babcock is a good choice for a manager/coaching position and Bob Nicholson should give him a call as soon as he's available.

Yup, they're basically at Krueger level, which still wasn't very good.

If Babcock becomes available you'd have to be insane to not at least inquire.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I think if there was even a hint that Babcock was willing to leave Detroit for money and increased power, there would be plenty of teams lining up that would throw just as much money at him as Katz could, and give him a working environment that wouldn't involve having to deal with MacT and Lowe.

The only chance he would remotely consider Edmonton is if they somehow lucked into McDavid. And even then I'd consider it a long shot.

And besides, I'm still unsure I wouldn't just like to see the team stick with Nelson. It's early days, but I'm liking what I've seen so far with him in full control.

He's had a lot of success in the AHL, he had a great mentor in Barry Trotz, and he seems to have a very good rapport with his players and has had at least some part in resurrecting Lander, Yakupov and Klefbom, and the power play has taken a big jump in effectiveness as well.

I'm actually kind of curious to see what he'd do with a full year to work with this team. There's a lot of great coaches out there, but every one of them were every bit as green as Nelson at one time as well.

Maybe this is one situation where we shouldn't try to overthink it...let him run with it and see where it goes?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I got it on good authority as long as Lowe and Mact are here, hes not touching this place.

I have mentioned this before

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I'm torn on going for a new coach. Nelson is doing a good job and it's obvious that the players like playing for him but if a Babcock, Tippet, Mclleland or Hitchcock become available you at least have to interview them.

Exactly. Let's do our goshdarn due diligence for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad