Speculation: Top offseason target: Mike Babcock

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I got it on good authority as long as Lowe and Mact are here, hes not touching this place.

I have mentioned this before

I'm fully in favour of booting the OBC for some new blood, this just gives Katz a convenient excuse. :naughty:

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Babcock is the only guy on the planet I'd consider instead of Nelson. I don't know why everyone's so goo goo gaga over Todd Mclellan his teams just choke in the playoffs and he's had a good roster to work with for years.

Nelson's got this AHL roster and we're on a 3 game win streak miraculously.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Todd Nelson:

-Takes the PP from 27th (or whatever) and turns into 1rst place in league since he has taken over

- Makes Yakupov look like a real NHL player when before he looked like he had no clue
- Turns Lander's career around when previously he was on waivers and was heading in the wrong direction, we now have what looks like a solid 3rd line centre.
- Takes an absolute dismal down in the dumps team and gets 100% of them playing better.
- The Oilers winning record and competitiveness has taken quite a turn under Nelson even with numerous AHL players
- Players such as RNH, Eberle are now able to be evaluated properly, along with many others, we are finally seeing what potential we have.
- You all know of numerous other positive things.

If Nelson's name was Babcock, everyone would want a street named after him already. How can anyone say Babcock or (insert other coach) would have been better? What more could another coach accomplish with this group? You fire Nelson now and you will see a decline in players, it would be absolute insanity to over think the coaching position. At this point we need players not a coach.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
If Nelson's name was Babcock, everyone would want a street named after him already. How can anyone say Babcock or (insert other coach) would have been better? What more could another coach accomplish with this group? You fire Nelson now and you will see a decline in players, it would be absolute insanity to over think the coaching position. At this point we need players not a coach.

Look back to the team before Eakins, it looks a lot like what you are talking about under Nelson. Nelson has done well enough to get his name in the conversation and probably near the top of the list but it's not like he's suddenly dragged this team up the standings. They've gone from brutally horrible to mediocre. Under Krueger this team was also mediocre, all Nelson has accomplished is erasing the horrible job that Eakins has done. If we are looking to improve this team then we want the best option as coach not just a pretty good one.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't see Lowe hiring someone who he knows is smarter than him to replace his BBF MacT and show them up.

Sure would be nice to know the results of the forensic audit and what peeling back the layers of the onion revealed. So far it looks like they determined that the teams leading goal scorer from last season was the only problem, because when MacT relieved Eakins of his coaching duties he went over the top in trying to defend him and say it was in no way Eakins fault for the team losing.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Look back to the team before Eakins, it looks a lot like what you are talking about under Nelson. Nelson has done well enough to get his name in the conversation and probably near the top of the list but it's not like he's suddenly dragged this team up the standings. They've gone from brutally horrible to mediocre. Under Krueger this team was also mediocre, all Nelson has accomplished is erasing the horrible job that Eakins has done. If we are looking to improve this team then we want the best option as coach not just a pretty good one.

And what guarantees best option doing any better? If anyone thinks Babcock would have dragged this team up the standings with this roster I'd like to know how. A new coach does not know these young players, it will drag us back down another year or two, not to mention ANOTHER new coach. I personally think it would be Eakins hiring level stupidity to change for reasons of just because. We change coaches like we change dmen who get 200 games experience. Can we finally stop fixing what isn't broken.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Babcock will not come here with Lowe and mac T running the gong show. I am fairly certain of that.

So bring Babcock in as GM... Not sure if he is qualified but he would have to be better than Mac T.

Potentially leave Nelson as coach.

And fire Lowe and bring up Rexall's lead janitor. Great at cleaning up massive messes and most assuredly knows more about putting together a winning franchise.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Must be an April fools thread.

I am willing to bet that there is no chance that Babcock comes to Edmonton to become a part of this dysfunctional Management team.

No chance because the man isn't an idiot.

Especially with the other much better opportunities throughout the League such as Buffalo once they draft a generational talent like McDavid.

Having said all that I have no doubt that Katz has a DVD produced and ready to be sent to Mike simply because he knows that a coach like Babcock will (by way of distraction) take the heat off of his BFF's in Management.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
bring Babcock in as GM... Not sure if he is qualified but he would have to be better than Mac T.

Potentially leave Nelson as coach.

And fire Lowe and bring up Rexall's lead janitor. Great at cleaning up massive messes and most assuredly knows more about putting together a winning franchise.

Why wait for a Stanley Cup parade? I'm sure we could get 1,000's out for a party if this occurred...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Only way Babcock even considers coming here ....

MAC46_CONNOR_MCDAVID_POST.jpg

+

cash.jpg

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
You think MacT would relinquish any roster control to Babcock? I doubt it. The team needs a competent GM before they need a new coach. I honestly doubt Babcock would come here if he had to be under Lowe/MacT.

I think Babcock would bring legitimacy to the organization would make MacT appear more successful due to players being more interested in being an Oiler under Babcock.

If Babcock wants to be GM too, then MacT should stay on as his co-GM to maybe learn a few things so when Babcock eventually moves on we will have some Old Boys Club members who may have learned something.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
And what guarantees best option doing any better? If anyone thinks Babcock would have dragged this team up the standings with this roster I'd like to know how. A new coach does not know these young players, it will drag us back down another year or two, not to mention ANOTHER new coach. I personally think it would be Eakins hiring level stupidity to change for reasons of just because. We change coaches like we change dmen who get 200 games experience. Can we finally stop fixing what isn't broken.

So no there's no guarantee that Babcock would improve the team but there is a guarantee that getting a new coach will hurt the team?

The reason to change isnt just because, it's to give the team the best chance to turn things around. Babcock has a winning record including a cup win along with taking a Ducks team to the final and a couple of Olympic wins. Nelson has managed what exactly? He's managed to bring this team back to the way they were playing before Eakins showed up? Is that really a big accomplishment?

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
Nelson has managed what exactly? He's managed to bring this team back to the way they were playing before Eakins showed up? Is that really a big accomplishment?

What exactly? Nelson has been training a bunch of AHLers (including a goalie) at the NHL level. And since Hall came back, the Oilers record is 4-1 with 18 goals for and 12 goals against.

I consider this a big accomplishment.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Babcock would bring legitimacy to the organization would make MacT appear more successful due to players being more interested in being an Oiler under Babcock.

If Babcock wants to be GM too, then MacT should stay on as his co-GM to maybe learn a few things so when Babcock eventually moves on we will have some Old Boys Club members who may have learned something.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd rather not have Babcock as GM. Dude has no management experience. Yeah, he's a great coach. Maybe the best there is. But that doesn't mean he'd be a great manager.

And honestly I've never gotten the impression players love playing under Babcock all that much. I think they respect him for sure, but it's not like players line up to sign in Detroit anymore. They always seem to be finishing 2nd in free agency running. If Babcock was as influential as you'd think, then why aren't they getting more top end players to sign there?

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Not a chance Babcock considers Edmonton. He needs to operate in sync with his GM for his coaching to work, no way that would happen here.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
What exactly? Nelson has been training a bunch of AHLers (including a goalie) at the NHL level. And since Hall came back, the Oilers record is 4-1 with 18 goals for and 12 goals against.

5 games isnt much to hang your hat on. The AHL players on the team are a bonus at this point since most of the teams we've been playing are really just playing out the string and these guys are jumping at their shot to show something at an NHL level. Our recent results are truly fools gold.

His record for the season is almost exactly the same as Krueger had in the shortened season. He hasnt improved this team from what it was before Eakins, just brought it back to that level. I dont think he's a bad coach but I dont think these meager accomplishments are enough to just hand the reins to him long term without taking a shot at Babcock no matter how much of a long shot signing him might be.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don't mind them chasing a more established coach but I'd really like them to have a coach in place for the draft (hopefully new management too). Part of me wants them to chase a Babcock/Hitchcock/Mclellan/Tippett but who knows if any of them will be available and willing to come here.

I'd rather Nelson then a guy like Crawford/Shero/Boucher. I'd be interested to see what he can do with a training camp and a clean slate. One move I would like to see is if SJS shake things up, I'd love to see them turF Acton and bring in Larry Robinson. He is a guru when it comes to defense, Stanley cup winning head coach, still likes being behind the bench but as a assistant these days.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
5 games isnt much to hang your hat on. The AHL players on the team are a bonus at this point since most of the teams we've been playing are really just playing out the string and these guys are jumping at their shot to show something at an NHL level.

On defense recently we had Brandon Davidson & Martin Marincin. Our goalie Richard Bachman only let in one goal over the past two games.

AHL forwards were Andrew Miller & Anton Lander. Plus Yakupov was almost trade bait for a sack of pucks until Nelson came along.

We now have three scoring lines - before Nelson came along, we barely had one. I am impressed; you do not have to be...

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Nelson has done a lot of good things, but it is too small a sample set. Give him 2 years to see what he can do.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'm happy if they only give him next season... But a few here do not even want to give him that opportunity.

It's a tough call if a top grade coach becimes available. I think he has proven that he deserves at least next season.

Babcock will never come here to be overruled by the mangement morons above him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You know I know it's crazy, but I stick with Nelson. Even over an experienced coach.

I think it's bad karma to keep turfing coaches like this. Who knows, maybe one day Nelson is the next McLennan, Babcock, Quennville, himself. And it's hard on the players to keep switching to a new system/having to learn from scratch.

The team is playing hard under Nelson and showing fight and compete that was non-existant before. Upgrade the blue line and goaltending position and give him a chance to show what's he got.

Even if we get McDavid by winning the lottery.

The way I see it, that buys us time to build other aspects of the team and will attract free agents here. If Nelson shows he can't get it done, I'm sure many other high end coaches will be chomping at the bit to have a go at coaching McDavid/Hall/RNH/etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad