Value of: Top Line Forward/Top Pairing Defenseman to Philadelphia

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
There’s a very realistic chance they end up with picks #14 and #19 in the first round this year. The Flyers farm system is loaded with prospects who are close to making the NHL. That said, the Flyers roster for the most part is already filled with players who aren’t leaving anytime soon. Outside of Morgan Frost, Carter Hart, and possibly Phil Myers, everyone should be made available.

Two players that come to mind are Dougie Hamilton and Ryan O’Reilly.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
There’s a very realistic chance they end up with picks #14 and #19 in the first round this year. The Flyers farm system is loaded with prospects who are close to making the NHL. That said, the Flyers roster for the most part is already filled with players who aren’t leaving anytime soon. Outside of Morgan Frost, Carter Hart, and possibly Phil Myers, everyone should be made available.

Where's O'Reilly going to play when we have Couturier and Patrick? Where's Hamilton going to play when we have Provorov and Ghost? Obviously one of them could move down, but there's cap implications as well.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Where's O'Reilly going to play when we have Couturier and Patrick? Where's Hamilton going to play when we have Provorov and Ghost? Obviously one of them could move down, but there's cap implications as well.

O’Reilly can play anywhere in the top 9. That’s a great problem to have and if you did separate him from Couturier and Patrick, you’d have 3 very balanced lines.

Hamilton might not be the best fit since we don’t need anymore offense from the back end, but he’s on a great deal. With the cap rising and all the expiring deals/easy buyout options, cap room wouldn’t be an issue long or short term.

It would be a lot easier to match up with Pittsburgh this series if you could roll out the following:

Giroux-Coururier-Raffl
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
Simmonds-ROR-Konecny

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Our TOP6 and 1st D pair are lock already.

We need 2RHD (but I believe in Myers). Mostly we need to upgrade bottom-six and 3rd D pair. And of course HEAD COACH. Until here will be Haktard, we haven't chance for SC.

Reactions: Stizzle

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Brodie would be a great option for your second pairing and also plays much better on the right side.

Would want one of those picks and a solid prospect or roster player though.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
If we used those picks to get Hamilton i'd be pissed. He's the last talent we need.

Disagree with this. Just because you have two very good puck moving defenseman already doesn’t mean you shouldn’t add a third. If Hamilton was some slouch defensively, it’d be different.

It’s all about puck possession and if you can spread out Provorov, Ghost, Hamilton, and Sanheim on 3 different pairings, you’ll have the puck most of the time.

Does Nashville have the too many puck movers?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vikke

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I love ROR, and he could potentially slot in at any wing position as well, so he could fit anywhere. I just dont think we have the cap space to fit him in.

Using him as a 3c - even with balanced lines/times - would be a waste of his talents. If we're acquiring ROR, we may as well be sending Frost the other way. since all of our Centers would be locked up for 5+ years, and theres no way Frost wont make the NHL by that time. Even if you want to play ROR on frost wing, that gives us 3 Wingers locked up at 7.5 mil+.

Great player, but i just dont see it as a fit.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If I were to trade those picks, I would rather it be as a package to grab an even higher pick. Maybe something like #14+#19 for #~7 and grab a player like Dobson.

Provorov - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Dobson
Morin - Myers

Last edited:

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
If I were to trade those picks, I would rather it be as a package to grab an even higher pick. Maybe something like #14+#19 for #~7 and grab a player like Dobson.

I don’t hate this idea and will admit I’m not extremely familiar with Dobson outside of the fact that he’s a very good prospect. However, by the time he makes an impact, Giroux and Voracek will be at the end of their deals.

I just see the Metro really opening up next season and would prefer that they start to make a move towards contending. They’ve been drafting and developing for 5 seasons now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The Flyers don't need Ryan O'Reilly

Would love to add Dougie Hamilton though

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I don’t hate this idea and will admit I’m not extremely familiar with Dobson outside of the fact that he’s a very good prospect. However, by the time he makes an impact, Giroux and Voracek will be at the end of their deals.

I just see the Metro really opening up next season and would prefer that they start to make a move towards contending. They’ve been drafting and developing for 5 seasons now.

I get you, but I don't think this team is going to contend off the backs of Giroux and Voracek. Their future is going to be through guys like: NP, TK, Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Frost and Hart. Grabbing an impact forward/defenseman now does make us a little scarier, but ultimately we can't be contenders until we have the goaltending position locked down. It might take another couple years before Hart is a #1 goalie. So, I'd rather invest futures into that basket when the time comes.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I get you, but I don't think this team is going to contend off the backs of Giroux and Voracek. Their future is going to be through guys like: NP, TK, Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Frost and Hart. Grabbing an impact forward/defenseman now does make us a little scarier, but ultimately we can't be contenders until we have the goaltending position locked down. It might take another couple years before Hart is a #1 goalie. So, I'd rather invest futures into that basket when the time comes.

That’s a fair point and don’t necessarily disagree with that direction. I’m of the belief that Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Patrick, TK, and Lindblom are all ready to be key components of a contending roster starting next year.

You’re right about the goaltending and maybe this a move that would be better for next years trade deadline once they see where they are at.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
That’s a fair point and don’t necessarily disagree with that direction. I’m of the belief that Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Patrick, TK, and Lindblom are all ready to be key components of a contending roster starting next year.

You’re right about the goaltending and maybe this a move that would be better for next years trade deadline once they see where they are at.

If Hart comes in and lives up to the hype and becomes an NHL starter by ~midway through next year then we could have the discussion about packaging futures, but until then I prefer to keep collecting them.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

Provorov - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Dobson
Morin - Myers
If we're trading up the ~#7 range, i'm looking at Wahlstrom, not Dobson.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Carrick and the leafs first (unless its higher than 19th) for the 19th pick.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I don't see a need for a top 6 forward. Maybe a 3rd line center if Giroux stays on the wing. Shutdown D to pair with Provorov and a 3rd pairing or depth right D.

Complete this trade: Sutter and Tanev for MacDonald and???

Reactions: dingbathero

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Disagree with this. Just because you have two very good puck moving defenseman already doesn’t mean you shouldn’t add a third. If Hamilton was some slouch defensively, it’d be different.

It’s all about puck possession and if you can spread out Provorov, Ghost, Hamilton, and Sanheim on 3 different pairings, you’ll have the puck most of the time.

Does Nashville have the too many puck movers?

We've got Provo, Ghost, Sanheim and more like Myers to come. It's always nice to add talent, but we need young forwards more than we need another PMD.

Our needs are fairly obvious to me. A good goalie (Hart), some quality third and fourth line forwards (NAK, Vorobyev) and some good second and third pairing D (Morin, Myers) to replace all of the crap vets currently in the line-up. Everything we have is already in the system, we just need a bit of patience to let them all grow together into something great. A couple of high-end forward prospects to mix in whilst G and V decline would be nice too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad