Speculation: Top KHL Players for the UFA Market

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So, maybe a bit of a roundup of the latest rumors:

• As it was mentioned, Sharks, VGK, Avalanche and Canes are considered to be the teams in the race for Melnichuk.
  • Habs' interest in Okulov reportedly is still alive, but there are also Sens and some other team (the Leafs were mentioned at some point in the season, but not sure they are looking for another winger after Barabanov's signing).
  • Coyotes and LA Kings are reportedly teams that are interested in Naumenkov.
  • Anton Burdasov might indeed give it another try to get in the NHL (still I will believe it when I'll see it).
  • Bilyalov and Voynov are expected to stay in the KHL.
  • Jaskin's NHL offers might be not too tempting, so Dynamo are hoping that they can make a good competitive offer.

Last edited:

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Shipachyov has one more year on his KHL deal and his NHL rights are still held by Vegas. As for Bereglazov, he kind of wasn't that impressive recently, imo.

And by then Vadim Shipachyov will be 34 years old. Sadly, his chance to make an impact was when Vegas signed him... and then promptly mishandled him completely. At 34 years of age I doubt any NHL would be willing to pay him enough to leave the KHL. He's a megastar in the KHL, one of the league's best players. He can play out the rest of his career in his homeland making a ton of rubles tax free.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Kazakhstan medias are speculating that Nikita Mikhailis might sign in the NHL, not sure how much truth there is about it, but I'll just leave it here.

As for Jaskin, it sounds like he will likely re-sign with Dynamo, as NHL teams in the current uncertain times aren't ready to offer him decent role and money.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Kazakhstan medias are speculating that Nikita Mikhailis might sign in the NHL, not sure how much truth there is about it, but I'll just leave it here.

As for Jaskin, it sounds like he will likely re-sign with Dynamo, as NHL teams in the current uncertain times aren't ready to offer him decent role and money.

If Mikko Lehtonen did sign with an NHL team, would that have to be an ELC?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What about Burdasov? He looked alright in the limited preseason action he got with the Oilers.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Burdasov looked really meh this season comparing to the previous, so despite some of the rumors that are actually there, I will be quite surprised if that happens.

Too bad, he actually looked somewhat decent in the preseason last year. Was hoping he’d get a chance to work on his game at SKA and come back on time for the preseason as he was a late arrival to camp last year due to some visa issues or something.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Yes, for European-based players the first NHL contract has to be ELC unless they're already 28 years old.
Thank you - any news on whether he may come over to the NHL?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Too bad, he actually looked somewhat decent in the preseason last year. Was hoping he’d get a chance to work on his game at SKA and come back on time for the preseason as he was a late arrival to camp last year due to some visa issues or something.

The issue also is that we don't know when the pre-season will be this time. For example, if it will be in November then Burdasov will be without game practice for like 6 months, not easy to make an impression in these conditions.

Thank you - any news on whether he may come over to the NHL?

I don't really have access to Finnish medias, but on twitter I searched and found some posts that it might indeed be happening. But if it is true, then the first thing that we will hear are the news about the termination of his KHL contract.

Matteo

Aug 20, 2017
Mikko Lehtonen, he doesn't have anything left to prove in Europe. He is still signed with Jokerit next year, but im sure they ain't gonna stand in his way. Jokerit will terminate his contract, if Lehtonen wants.

Mikko Lehtonen at eliteprospects.com

I'd really like to see him play in the NHL, he's improved pretty well over the last three season and I believe he's among the 5 best D-men currently not playing in NA.

Moreover, I hope Malte Stromwall has his shot to play in the NHL, his last two seasons have been lights out.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I'd really like to see him play in the NHL, he's improved pretty well over the last three season and I believe he's among the 5 best D-men currently not playing in NA.

Moreover, I hope Malte Stromwall has his shot to play in the NHL, his last two seasons have been lights out.

does Lehtonen have another year with Jokerit?

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Well, not like it would be surprising like at all.

I can understand that the self-isolation can distort the sense of time, but it's been like two years now since Cam Barker last played in the KHL.
russia -Europe whatever

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Yeah, just wanted to post that too. I think here it is another example of covid19 getting in the way, as the 1 year contract length is hinting that it is just to wait until the time of uncertaincy is gone. Same is expected with Jaskin's contract, as reportedly it wil be a 1 year deal too (with a prolongation option though).

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad