TSN: Top College/European Free Agents

Will the Bruins add a free agent?

• Total voters

KingKrug47

May 21, 2019
Forwards on Invitation:
  • Matt Brown
Brown has been excellent his freshman year at UML. He started off the first few weeks as the NCAA league leader in freshman scoring. He has quieted down a bit lately. Was a healthy scratch for the final game of the year in which home ice for the playoffs were on the line for what it's worth. I do love his game though

Reactions: PlayMakers

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
A lot of young NJ hockey players like the Penguins for whatever reason... pisses me off. He played on my friends Avalanche team w Clifton's two brothers and that Abruzesse kid the leafs drafted

kids like winning. all these draft eligible kids usually are pens fans or blackhawks fans
based on who was winning when they were growing up.

and pittsburgh seems to have a leg up on signing these kids because they have virtually
no prospect depth. rutherford trades away his draft picks to win, so they fill gaps with
college kids. and when you're a college kid and see john marino step right in and become
a key piece, that's attractive. sucks, but i'm sure bruins will get 2-3 guys too.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
kids like winning. all these draft eligible kids usually are pens fans or blackhawks fans

and pittsburgh seems to have a leg up on signing these kids because they have virtually
no prospect depth. rutherford trades away his draft picks to win, so they fill gaps with
college kids. and when you're a college kid and see john marino step right in and become
a key piece, that's attractive. sucks, but i'm sure bruins will get 2-3 guys too.

I think it's also easy to show forwards how Crosby and Malkin can turn anyone into a 20+ goal scorer. These kids want to make money, and the quickest way to do so is to score.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I'm not sure they will get 2 or 3, but they will most certainly be in on them.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Is Drew the really big winger?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Bummer. Was hoping that his involvement in development camp last year would give the Bruins the upper hand. I wonder what Pittsburgh offered him. I'm guessing immediate playing time to burn a year off the ELC.

I hoping he backs off at the last possible second and shows true loyalty to the Bruins in memory of Jarome Iginla:nod:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The other thing we need to think about is who in the system could get a deal?

Beecher - up and down freshman year, could he be a 1 and done?
Swayman - finishing his jr year at Maine and one of the top goalies in NCAA, could Boston want to get him into Providence to battle w/ Keyser?
Hall - Top 50 in P/GP for the NCAA and Yale's best player, could he be another guy they try and bring in early

A name I like is Johnny Walker. Right Shot RW, 6'1/185lb and plays for ASU and in 100GP has 60G/36A.

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Swayman - finishing his jr year at Maine and one of the top goalies in NCAA, could Boston want to get him into Providence to battle w/ Keyser?
Hall - Top 50 in P/GP for the NCAA and Yale's best player, could he be another guy they try and bring in early

A name I like is Johnny Walker. Right Shot RW, 6'1/185lb and plays for ASU and in 100GP has 60G/36A.

I feel like you're better off letting all three stay.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I think Swayman is the only possibility to leave. Beecher would only leave if they didn't like where his development is going at Michigan. I don't think he'd be ready for the AHL, so it seems like it's either college or juniors.

I doubt Hall leaves Yale after two years.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I think it's also easy to show forwards how Crosby and Malkin can turn anyone into a 20+ goal scorer. These kids want to make money, and the quickest way to do so is to score.
As Bruins fans we worry about like post-Bergeron/Krejci, the Pittsburgh drop after Crosby and Malkin go is gonna be severe. Just hope they don't get a couple generational players to save the franchise AGAIN.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
As Bruins fans we worry about like post-Bergeron/Krejci, the Pittsburgh drop after Crosby and Malkin go is gonna be severe. Just hope they don't get a couple generational players to save the franchise AGAIN.

Honestly it will be worse than what the Bruins experience. There might not be any generational guys in the Bruins fold, but having Coyle, Studnicka, and possibly Frederic, Hall, and Beecher in the system makes it look a lot better.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I feel like you're better off letting all three stay.

Beecher - 100% agree on

Swayman - 50/50 on, but if you're confident he wont leave you after his sr year, leave him there

Hall - He's the wild card of the 3 for me. If Studnicka moves up (maybe even Frederic) next year then would Hall benefit more from playing AHL level talent at getting 18+ a night?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Are all college players free agents right now?

Only those in their senior years that have never been drafted. If they have been drafted, their rights are owned until Aug 15 and if they don't sign, they become free agents.

Then there are first, second and third year players who have never been drafted. They can file with the NHL stating they are no longer a bona-fide student (in other words - quit school) and they become free agents.

Where it gets complicated is players that are in their first, second and third years and have been drafted. Normally, they could opt out of their final years and quit school and file with the league that they are no longer a bona-fide student, in which case, the team that drafted them has 30 days to sign him. If they don't then the player becomes a free agent.

It is complicated because the NCAA didn't just "pause" their season but canceled it, giving NHL teams less time. My understanding is the NHL and NHLPA are having a discussion (one of many issues they have to deal with) on extending that 30 days. I haven't talked to anyone in a couple of days, so I am not sure where they are at this point and have not seen anyone say one way or another.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Only those in their senior years that have never been drafted. If they have been drafted, their rights are owned until Aug 15 and if they don't sign, they become free agents.

Then there are first, second and third year players who have never been drafted. They can file with the NHL stating they are no longer a bona-fide student (in other words - quit school) and they become free agents.

Where it gets complicated is players that are in their first, second and third years and have been drafted. Normally, they could opt out of their final years and quit school and file with the league that they are no longer a bona-fide student, in which case, the team that drafted them has 30 days to sign him. If they don't then the player becomes a free agent.

It is complicated because the NCAA didn't just "pause" their season but canceled it, giving NHL teams less time. My understanding is the NHL and NHLPA are having a discussion (one of many issues they have to deal with) on extending that 30 days. I haven't talked to anyone in a couple of days, so I am not sure where they are at this point and have not seen anyone say one way or another.
Thank you. I didn't do a great job asking the question but that was an excellent and much appreciated response.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Thank you once again, Dom, for sharing your invaluable knowledge of the world of hockey.

Is their an official list on players who have filed with the NHL? I wasn't aware of players having to sign on/off like that. It certainly complicates the process of signing college players.

There's a list here on who signed professional contracts. NHL or Minor league contracts.
https://www.uscho.com/pro-signings-by-ncaa-hockey-players-2020-offseason/

My top target was Drew O'Connor who signed with the Penguins and Josh Maniscalco who isn't signing with anybody.

I would like the Bruins to sign a couple of forwards and a right shot defenseman. Perhaps an AHL contract signing with Providence. They may be losing a few players.

Last edited:

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I expect lots of drafted guys will not be leaving school early due to the chaos caused by the pandemic. There will be a ripple effect, because there will be fewer slots at schools, meaning coaches won't be able to offer new scholarships, keeping many players in tier 2 and 3 juniors. On the one hand, NCAA teams should be stronger next year with more continuity, but fewer college opportunities will open for new guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad