TSN: Top College/European Free Agents

Will the Bruins add a free agent?

• Total voters

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
which top guys are on teams that aren't gonna make the NCAA tourney? haven't paid much attention
to college hockey this year.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Drew O'Connor and Josh Maniscalco are at the top of my list. Both attended development camp last year and are just 21, so they're relatively young compared to many of the top college free agents.

Maniscalco is top 10 in the NCAA in points per game for defensemen and tied for 2nd in goals.

O'Connor is 3rd in the NCAA in goals, and has somehow grown 7 inches in the four years since his initial draft year. I'd guess he's still figuring out how to use his bigger body, which suggests there's more projection.

That's what I'm looking for. I don't need a finished product that can step in next year or the year after. I'm looking for someone who can develop into something.
He is also the sought after RD that we could use for depth, I like that idea a lot. Both guys should be the targets, be great if Drew could play RW.

Reactions: bbfan419

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Who’s the top scorer?

That simple. There’s room for him! Could it be that easy?

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Some notable college free agent signings (Boston & Providence).

2019 - Zech
2018 - Kuhlman
2017 - Clifton
2016 - None
2015 - Vatrano, Czarnik, Acciari
2014 - None
2013 - Lindblad
2012 - Krug

This is more of a post for the 'No' voters. They basically sign someone decent every year, though some of them were AHL contracts. I think they're guaranteed to sign a college free agent. The bigger question is whether it's one of the top ones, or someone we didn't consider.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
O’Connor set up Maniscalco for a nice goal in the prospects scrimmage at camp last summer.

We actually had a lot of invites to that camp...

Forwards on Invitation:
  • Matt Brown
  • Nathan Burke
  • Mike Hardman
  • Casey Dornbach
  • Justin Richards
  • Drew O’Connor
  • Linus Sandin
  • Nate Sucese
  • Nolan Walker
  • Marek Zachar
Defensemen on invitation:
  • Nick Wolff
  • Josh Maniscalco
  • Brandon Estes
The bolded really stood out IMO.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
O’Connor set up Maniscalco for a nice goal in the prospects scrimmage at camp last summer.

We actually had a lot of invites to that camp...

Forwards on Invitation:
  • Matt Brown
  • Nathan Burke
  • Mike Hardman
  • Casey Dornbach
  • Justin Richards
  • Drew O’Connor
  • Linus Sandin
  • Nate Sucese
  • Nolan Walker
  • Marek Zachar
Defensemen on invitation:
  • Nick Wolff
  • Josh Maniscalco
  • Brandon Estes
The bolded really stood out IMO.

Sandin is a real option once his SHL season is over to sign for 2020-2021. Can't play in the NHL this season without clearing waivers if someone signs him.

I have spoken to his father on several occasions. Only because I was one of the early promoters of his brother Rasmus. He told me Linus really loved Boston and if "he could sign an NHL contract today, Boston would be the place he wants to play."

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Sandin is a real option once his SHL season is over to sign for 2020-2021. Can't play in the NHL this season without clearing waivers if someone signs him.

I have spoken to his father on several occasions. Only because I was one of the early promoters of his brother Rasmus. He told me Linus really loved Boston and if "he could sign an NHL contract today, Boston would be the place he wants to play."

Solely looking at statistics, it looks like Sandin has had a good season. 2nd on his team in points (1st in goals) and 2nd in the SHL in points for players under 24 (1st in goals).

Fun Fact: Old friend Anthony Camara is on the same SHL team.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Nice, he had a really good season in the SHL too. He would be an interesting player to add.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
anyone seen jack ahcan this year? he seems to fit into that undersized puck mover
category that boston likes.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Edited the thread to include top European free agents as well.

With European Leagues about to begin playoffs, and some of those leagues done before the NHL even begins it's playoffs, there are some interesting names on that market.

The difference with the Euros however, is that while they can sign as soon as they are done, it can't take effect until the 2020-2021 season or the NHL team signing them would have to put them through waivers for this season.

One name I am looking at is super goaltender Timur Bilyalov. 32 games played in the KHL 8 shutouts, 1.45 GAA and .943 SV%. However, he's 5'10". Who is going to take a stab at him?

Reactions: bbfan419

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad