Value of: Top 9 Right winger and 2/3c to Buffalo

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
McCann is your 2C, Hornqvist is your Top 9 wing.

It's been discussed before with some amount of acceptance - McCann for Montour. Positions of strength for positions of need for both teams.

Horny could be had for a variety of offers but it depends on salary. I doubt we'd take Okposo. Not much else Buffalo has though. Mojo? But to be honest, Mittelstadt would be about right.

McCann + Horny for Montour + Mittelstadt.

Dude, don't do that.

My fault. Wouldn’t want to add any disrespectful sounding trades to a thread chalked full of genuine and fair offers to Buffalo.

On that topic, no to your proposal. Whatever you think of Mittelstadt, you don’t trade him for a 33 year old 5 million dollar winger who’s best days are behind him.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
McCann is your 2C, Hornqvist is your Top 9 wing.

It's been discussed before with some amount of acceptance - McCann for Montour. Positions of strength for positions of need for both teams.

Horny could be had for a variety of offers but it depends on salary. I doubt we'd take Okposo. Not much else Buffalo has though. Mojo? But to be honest, Mittelstadt would be about right.

McCann + Horny for Montour + Mittelstadt.

Dude, don't do that.

McCann a 2C? Lol ..

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Jake Virtanen and Brandon Sutter for Colin Miller and 2020 2nd and 4th round pick

Jake has had a breakout season, showing top-6 upside.
Sutter has been showing in the playoffs that he can still handle heavy shutdown duties and contribute depth scoring.
I read in an article that the Sabres are looking for bottom 6 help, scoring depth behind Jack and face-off ability. These two can definitely provide that.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Jake Virtanen and Brandon Sutter for Colin Miller and 2020 2nd and 4th round pick

Sutter has been showing in the playoffs that he can still handle heavy shutdown duties and contribute depth scoring.
I read in an article that the Sabres are looking for bottom 6 help, scoring depth behind Jack and face-off ability. These two can definitely provide that.
Sutter is negative value because of his cap hit. Not willing to tie-up almost 5mil for 2yrs in him, can find much better value elsewhere

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

A breakout season is when a player shows he is a top 6 player. A 6th overall pick showing he has top 6 upside finally at the age of 24 is not a breakout season.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Sutter is negative value because of his cap hit. Not willing to tie-up almost 5mil for 2yrs in him, can find much better value elsewhere

He's only $500k more than Colin Miller and for one year less. I could see why you'd mention negative value, but the difference isn't as big as you make it sound like. Regardless hope Jack gets the help he needs before he wants out.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Avs could make Jonas Donskoi available depending on if they want to sign Hall. With his contract he would be pretty cheap imo, maybe a pick ?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Would a deal for saad and strome work for you guys?

Saad is overpaid for what he brings and a pending UFA. Strome is a one-way player who can't skate and, in all likelihood, won't be anywhere near as productive on a team that doesn't have a Patrick Kane to play him with. There are a whole lot of players I'd rather spend assets on.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
you take out that 2nd round pick and i'd do it. sutter as 3/4c. he is also has one less year than miller See if Virtanen can produce in the top 6 if not he becomes a checking forward in the bottom six.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
McCann a 2C? Lol ..
He's actually looked pretty good when asked to fill in for Crosby and Malkin when they get hurt. Those two get hurt a lot. Where McCann struggled was picking up heavier defensive minutes as a 3C.

McCann's best deployment though is as a shooting left wing on a second line. Kid has a rocket of a wrist shot, hardest on the Pens per the coaching staff. Putting him between Marleau and Hornqvist in the playoffs wasn't a good fit for his skill set.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Sutter has 1 year left, worst case if Buffalo is a bottom feeder again you flip him at the deadline with retention for a 2nd round pick, he is having a decent playoff showing this year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Sutter has 1 year left, worst case if Buffalo is a bottom feeder again you flip him at the deadline with retention for a 2nd round pick, he is having a decent playoff showing this year.

I doubt he has that kind of value. He'd basically be a more expensive, less effective replacement for Johan Larsson (if he walks), which doesn't really solve anything. (And I don't think Larsson would've fetched that much at the trade dealine last season either, if he'd been moved, despite doing a much better job winning the possession battle in similarly defensively skewed minutes.)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wouldn't mind Canucks acquiring Montour or Risto
Me too.
Virtanen, Gaudette, and UFA rights to Tanev for Risto. Don’t know if that’s fair, but the OP wants a top nine winger and a 2/3 centre. Jake and Adam fit into the right age group with Eichel too.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Jamie Winston

Jul 13, 2019
Saad is overpaid for what he brings and a pending UFA. Strome is a one-way player who can't skate and, in all likelihood, won't be anywhere near as productive on a team that doesn't have a Patrick Kane to play him with. There are a whole lot of players I'd rather spend assets on.
Strome spends a lot of time away from kane. Skating has been a problem but he pretty easily has 2nd line center chops. There’s a lot of one way players out there Strome has room to grow defensively but you wouldn’t bring him into PK obviously lol.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Me too.
Virtanen, Gaudette, and UFA rights to Tanev for Risto. Don’t know if that’s fair, but the OP wants a top nine winger and a 2/3 centre. Jake and Adam fit into the right age group with Eichel too.

No no no thanks. Do not want Ristolainen. Big cap hit, long-term for a guy who doesn't drive play at even strength. He collects some empty calorie points by playing big minutes and PP. He's basically the same kind of player we already have in Tyler Myers, but worse.

If Buffalo is interested in Virtanen, I would do something like a 2nd round pick + Lawrence Pilut. We're gonna need to create cap space and a right-side of Risto-Myers...at their prices...is no bueno.

I'd rather hold onto Gaudette unless there's a hugely favourable deal available. He's a useful contributor and probably a guy we can grind the cap hit down very low. We'll really need low-cost contributors going forward.

Reactions: Luckylarry

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
RNH for Cozens, 1st, Mittelstadt

Awful. Wouldn't trade Cozens for RNH.

The only true untouchables are Eichel, Dahlin, Cozens and Olofsson. Reinhart is most definitely available.RNH is more likely to be the 50-55 point Nuge then the 60-69 point one and I'll take the guy 8 years younger, on an ELC and is projected to be a better more complete center. Cozens is untouchable, he is exactly what the Sabres need, a young long term 60-70 point 2 way 2C with size.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
No no no thanks. Do not want Ristolainen. Big cap hit, long-term for a guy who doesn't drive play at even strength. He collects some empty calorie points by playing big minutes and PP. He's basically the same kind of player we already have in Tyler Myers, but worse.

If Buffalo is interested in Virtanen, I would do something like a 2nd round pick + Lawrence Pilut. We're gonna need to create cap space and a right-side of Risto-Myers...at their prices...is no bueno.

I'd rather hold onto Gaudette unless there's a hugely favourable deal available. He's a useful contributor and probably a guy we can grind the cap hit down very low. We'll really need low-cost contributors going forward.
I'd pass on that deal personally, Pilut might not ever play another game for Buffalo, but he's an NHL'er in some capacity. Obviously an early 2nd should hold some value as well (unless we decide to do the usual low ceiling type of pick we like to make there). I'd take a shot on Virtanen based on his tools, but I'd imagine what I'd offer would seem underwhelming to most Canucks fans. it's very concerning hearing the issues about conditioning, and it obviously isn't a good look getting scratched/demoted in important hockey games.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'd pass on that deal personally, Pilut might not ever play another game for Buffalo, but he's an NHL'er in some capacity. Obviously an early 2nd should hold some value as well (unless we decide to do the usual low ceiling type of pick we like to make there). I'd take a shot on Virtanen based on his tools, but I'd imagine what I'd offer would seem underwhelming to most Canucks fans. it's very concerning hearing the issues about conditioning, and it obviously isn't a good look getting scratched/demoted in important hockey games.

I definitely think Pilut is an NHLer too. I just didn't think Buffalo valued him very highly, given they've been reluctant to give him a real shot in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad