Speculation: Top 6 Winger to the Leafs

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Don’t see the leafs trading our best prospect just saying our pipeline for prospects is depleted.

Dubas is pretty focused on keeping the steady flow of prospects in the pipe line to compliment our top heavy salaries . He’s said so his self in multiple interviews that hes going to need many ELC’s to balance our core .

i highly doubt Amirov is moved . Korshkov at best is what you would expect to return and why not give him a shot .
lilly and a second or a straight up first and B prospect is the max payout i can see the leafs paying . Even then I dont see lilly getting moved .

leafs are in a tough spot right now . Salaries wise and players able to move wise . The leafs 2 best trade baits were moved this off season I’m not sure dubas dose anything major this TDL and with the 2 weeks quartile time idk

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
if they add someone with term, they likely go on the exposed list for the expansion draft, something to consider in terms of value you are willing to give up.

Reactions: banks

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Coleman was 1st + Nolan Foote who was a late 1st trending ok, so I d say it would rather maybe even amirov +1st

Amirov was a mid 1st in a stacked draft
foote was a late 1st in a weak draft (and many had him a 2nd round talent)

they arent the same, and the leafs arent doing that for a 3rd liner

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Pretty sure Rakell would crack top 6, even on a team like leafs .

just a bait comment I imagine

I also don’t know if the ducks would have much interest in amirov, we generally stay away from Russians(despite drafting galimov this year)

Last edited:
Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Niemela is not being traded.

Why not? he's not Robertson or Amirov or Sandin he's a B level prospect the team is 1st overall in the NHL and is looking for a top 6 winger to put them over the top, why is a B level prospect untouchable?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
if they add someone with term, they likely go on the exposed list for the expansion draft, something to consider in terms of value you are willing to give up.

It definitely complicates things. Without adding a meaningful forward the Leafs expansion plan can be pretty simple, 4+4, re-sign Hyman after the draft, let Seattle choose between Kerfoot/Dermott and young depth. With a Rakell in the fold it means 7+3, and finagling something around the D

Reactions: bernmeister

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It definitely complicates things. Without adding a meaningful forward the Leafs expansion plan can be pretty simple, 4+4, re-sign Hyman after the draft, let Seattle choose between Kerfoot/Dermott and young depth. With a Rakell in the fold it means 7+3, and finagling something around the D
What’s your current protection if you go 3?

brodie muzzin rielly?

dermott most likely being taking in expansion?

Sandin and liljegren don’t neee to be protected right ?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Don’t see the leafs trading our best prospect just saying our pipeline for prospects is depleted.

Dubas is pretty focused on keeping the steady flow of prospects in the pipe line to compliment our top heavy salaries . He’s said so his self in multiple interviews that hes going to need many ELC’s to balance our core .

i highly doubt Amirov is moved . Korshkov at best is what you would expect to return and why not give him a shot .
lilly and a second or a straight up first and B prospect is the max payout i can see the leafs paying . Even then I dont see lilly getting moved .

leafs are in a tough spot right now . Salaries wise and players able to move wise . The leafs 2 best trade baits were moved this off season I’m not sure dubas dose anything major this TDL and with the 2 weeks quartile time idk

Our pipeline isn't depleted at all, in fact I would suggest that the Leafs have one of the better prospect pools among playoff teams, Robertson Sandin and Amirov are all Grade A prospects, Lilly and Hallinder round out a very solid top 5.

Hirvinen and Niemela showed tremendous promise at the world juniors.

The idea that the prospect pool is depleted just isn't true.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Our pipeline isn't depleted at all, in fact I would suggest that the Leafs have one of the better prospect pools among playoff teams, Robertson Sandin and Amirov are all Grade A prospects, Lilly and Hallinder round out a very solid top 5.

For what it's worth, Wheeler ranked the Leafs' prospect pool as 13th best in the league.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Rakell is a multiple 25+ and even 30+ goal scorer at 1.9m if retained at 50%. I get it it if you don't want Rakell but if you want to win, you've got to pay. I bet TBL does not regret overpaying for Coleman. It depends where you end up at the end of the season. I did not say Foote and Amirov are the same I said since Coleman < Rakell, you should pay more for Rakell than Coleman. Regarding Amirov, I remember a guy named Bracco : quote from a Leafs fan "I have a feeling our organization probably values Bracco more than most others do. Not sure what we'd want in return to be honest, but it would probably need to be higher than a 2nd round pick calliber player.... perhaps around a #20 OA pick caliber asset." One year later, Bracco was wait what ? Unqualified. A prospect is a prospect, it is a gamble in the future, that is why they have way lower values than proven assets

Look I get it, TOR is a very strong team and I hope for Canada that they win the cup.

Reactions: Getz2noone

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What’s your current protection if you go 3?

brodie muzzin rielly?

dermott most likely being taking in expansion?

Sandin and liljegren don’t neee to be protected right ?

Likely those three, but Holl as emerged as a legitimate top 4 defender and absolute rock with 2 years left at 2m. After years sorting out our right side I can't see us letting that go, so there'd either be a future consideration deal with Seattle or a bigger shakeup on the left.

And correct the Swedes are exempt

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

I agree with that, given the Leafs pool is not a top of the laegue but nonetheless a good one. Sandin and Amirov were two smart choices. I think Lilj and Hallander 's stocks have been falling since their draft years but you never know with prospects, they have no linear progression by any means.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Likely those three, but Holl as emerged as a legitimate top 4 defender and absolute rock with 2 years left at 2m. After years sorting out our right side I can't see us letting that go, so there'd either be a future consideration deal with Seattle or a bigger shakeup on the left.

And correct the Swedes are exempt
I imagine the cost to keep holl and have them take dermott wouldn’t be crazy

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Agreed I think the leafs have done well drafting the last couple years despite being a playoff team and have done a good job keeping a pretty solid pool

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Agreed I think the leafs have done well drafting the last couple years despite being a playoff team and have done a good job keeping a pretty solid pool
I think it puts them in a good window to make a all in type move this year or next before rielly/Freddie contracts become their next hurdle

they have to be looking at teams like Boston/Tampa and wondering if they can beat them in 7 game series. I imagine Montreal is going to make moves to better their roster also

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Yup and that's why they can either go get a guy like Larsson or Pearson without doing any real damage to the prospect pool.

Or if they want to they can afford to spend a little more and go get Rakell or Hall etc.

It's because they have the assets

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Yup and that's why they can either go get a guy like Larsson or Pearson without doing any real damage to the prospect pool.

Or if they want to they can afford to spend a little more and go get Rakell or Hall etc.

It's because they have the assets

Hall on the Leafs would complete a crazy top 6 :D

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Why not? he's not Robertson or Amirov or Sandin he's a B level prospect the team is 1st overall in the NHL and is looking for a top 6 winger to put them over the top, why is a B level prospect untouchable?

I would prefer we trade from the forward pool of prospects rather than defence.

Niemela is a high IQ, Right handed shot dman with great skating. Niemela was probably one of Finland’s best players at WJC while being also one of the youngest players.

We desperately need this type of player in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad