Value of: Top 6 Wing to NJ

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey
I still honestly would not mind trying to grab Niederreiter as a UFA. 3 or 4 year deal if the money is not crazy and I do not think it will be. He would make the lineup deeper and is a smart two way 2nd/3rd line forward. That could be a realistic sensible move since he refernced some depth signings aside from Defense.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Gus Nyquist would come with a super low acquisition cost, a lot of versatility and a track record of being a ~50 point wing who kills penalties.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Gus Nyquist would come with a super low acquisition cost, a lot of versatility and a track record of being a ~50 point wing who kills penalties.
CBJ has to dump salary, he'd basically come for free.

NJ already has a forward glut though. Hard to envision where Gus would play, short of ensuring Holtz and Zetterlund spend most of the season in Utica again.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
To NJ:
Matthew Tkachuk (extended 8x9.5)

To Calgary:
Alexander Holtz
Unprotected 2023 1st round pick
Shakir Muhkamadullin OR Ty Smith
Andreas Johnsson (cap)
Nolan Foote

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
CBJ has to dump salary, he'd basically come for free.

NJ already has a forward glut though. Hard to envision where Gus would play, short of ensuring Holtz and Zetterlund spend most of the season in Utica again.
if CBJ wasn't in a cap crunch I think they'd be able to get something for Gus, but now that they are I'd give up a mid-round pick to get him off the books.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I want a top 6 winger but not sure who is out there via trade. Miller would be nice IF he woild extend at a decent price and term length but … that is doubtful. He is the a very good fit but his age and contract will be shit.
No way in hell he would sign something that I’d be ok with ( 3 years. 4 years max)

As far as depth goes, I’d really like Puljujarvi for a 3rd line RW.
Right shot big bodied kid that is good defensively and has adequate production for the 3rd line with potential for more and could be an option for net front guy on PP2?

3rd line
Zetterlund Haula Puljujarvi

UFA defence …. Not sure who is left . Subban on a cheap 1year deal?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This sort of move sounds like an in season move if need be. They just gave Palat a big payday and will likely try him in what was 5 of a top 6 last season. Bratt and Hischier could use a wing assuming Sharangovich, Hughes, and Mercer can play together again. The team has a glut of potential third liners and could easily go with Boquist Haula and Zetterlund there. The fourth line will likely hinge on Wood's health. if he can play, that puts Tatar and Johnsson on the outside having to play harder to get into the lineup and pushes Holtz to the AHL to continue to refine his game.

Reactions: britdevil

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I honestly am very confident that Tkachuk is not staying in Calgary. Not sure if he holds out for St.Louis only or Ottawa only , but I cannot see him staying at all. Without Gaudreau , he knows his potential to cash in big time on his next contract diminishes playing on the Flames without Gaudreau.
Id say it’s pretty certain

Reactions: HBK27

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
It always seems like Toronto fans hold Nylander Tavares/Matthews/Marner. If that's the case and he's available, he would be the guy I want. Tkachuk would be great but would most likely come at the expensive of Bratt. We really need right handed right wingers that can score goals. What would Toronto want for Nylander? Ty Smith, Alexander Holtz, Reilly Walsh, next years unprotected first rounder are prob all available.
Holtz + 2023 1st top ten protected would be fair but other Devils fans say they don't want him. Will playing on the 2nd line and 3rd line5 vs 5 and top pp unit put up 80, him playing with Hughes on the top line would put up 90 atleast. Him and Tavares don't mesh well cause JT is to slow but we can't realistically trade Tavares.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
To NJ:

To Calgary:
Alexander Holtz
Andreas Johnsson (cap)
Nolan Foote
Man if Calgary did this they would then need to go full on Chicago tank job for Bedard!

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If Tkachuk wants out , Calgary is limited by the amount of teams that have both the cap room and assets that it would take to land him. Hes he would be wanted by every team in the league but not many can afford that cap right now or have the amount of assets

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
the Devils were hard after Gaudreau (as confirmed by Tom Fitzgerald today) and its clear they still want to add a top 6 winger. Meier? Tkachuk? Anyone else realistically available?

SIDENOTE- Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec are not realistically available since I know thats what people will ask for the most. Alex Holtz, draft picks, roster players, etc are all available though.

It sounds like you're asking for a top line winger, not a "top-6 winger".

Reactions: BayStBullies

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Yikes, don't trade Holtz, don't rush this thing.

They are in such good shape to compete, maybe not this year (but also maybe) but for sure going forward. Top young players/prospects at every position.

Adding a top 6 player now at the cost of a future top 6 player when it won't make the difference this year anyway is just foolish.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yikes, don't trade Holtz, don't rush this thing.

They are in such good shape to compete, maybe not this year (but also maybe) but for sure going forward. Top young players/prospects at every position.

Adding a top 6 player now at the cost of a future top 6 player when it won't make the difference this year anyway is just foolish.

Let me be clear...I am not trading Holtz for a lot of the guys listed in this thread.

I would give up Holtz for a Tkachuk or a Meier, though.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
To NJ:

To Calgary:
Alexander Holtz
Andreas Johnsson (cap)
Nolan Foote

I can see this could be enough value (the "or" needs to be "and") for Flames if they go to rebuild, but I doubt a 2nd round playoff team starts rebuilding just because they lost one player. I also don't see Tkachuk wanting to extend with NJ, like at all. I think he either stays in CGY, goes home to St. Louis where he already spends his summers or goes to play with his bro in Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad