Value of: Top 6 Wing to NJ

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
the Devils were hard after Gaudreau (as confirmed by Tom Fitzgerald today) and its clear they still want to add a top 6 winger. Meier? Tkachuk? Anyone else realistically available?

SIDENOTE- Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec are not realistically available since I know thats what people will ask for the most. Alex Holtz, draft picks, roster players, etc are all available though.
Nyquist is possibly available (management has expressed a desire to keep him due to leadership / depth scoring), probably for little to nothing due to us having no leverage with the cap.

He’s only a stop gap though, UFA this year. Not sure if you want someone long term or not.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Wheeler, no idea the return

If it's without retention I'm sure some Jets fans would send him for little to nothing, probably even take back a guy like Tatar if you just wanted to dump him. Jets management probably disagrees though and with only a 5 team trade list Wheeler would also have to agree.

Unless they're going full rebuild, which looks highly unlikely at this point, I would just keep him. While he's overpaid, he still has a ton of talent and hopefully a new coach can get him to be more responsible defensively. If they were going to move him this offseason the time was probably before free agency started.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Tarasenko is avaliable. Really not sure what Army is wanting in return though.
My guess would be something along the lines of Sharangovich and a 2nd/3rd with the Devils permitted to discuss an extension with Tarasenko before the trade is submitted. I can't see the Devils (or anyone for that matter) giving up enough for Tarasenko without first having the framework for an extension to make sense moving him without replacing some of the scoring left by the loss of him and Perron.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nino is available. But if you're going to pay him 5 or so over term, you want to make sure he's in the top 6 going forward and not just for this 1 year.

I would stay away from Nyquist who benefited with a lot of playing time. He was used as the #1 forward and had Kakko level p/60. Doesn't shoot the puck much and isn't really what they need.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
It always seems like Toronto fans hold Nylander Tavares/Matthews/Marner. If that's the case and he's available, he would be the guy I want. Tkachuk would be great but would most likely come at the expensive of Bratt. We really need right handed right wingers that can score goals. What would Toronto want for Nylander? Ty Smith, Alexander Holtz, Reilly Walsh, next years unprotected first rounder are prob all available.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Value aside, has a #2 draft pick (or even top 10) been traded before even playing a single game for said team?

Calgary had a shot apparently at #2 at the draft but declined. Nemec won't be available in a Tkachuk trade.
Outside of a big trade like the Lindros trade where Forsberg came back you don’t see top 10 picks who have not played for the big club get traded while they are 20 or younger.

Reactions: HBK27

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If Tkachuk wants to walk himself to UFA , the Flames have to trade him.
If they lose yet another elite player and get nothing in return ….

Trust me , I know first hand what it’s like to lose your two best players and have them leave and get nothing in return .Devils lost Parise and Kovalchuk for nothing.
Devils have been scratching and clawing ever since then to climb out of the basement of the league.
Flames have some very good players yet but if they lose Tkachuk , they will be screwed for years.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I would have traded Bratt for tkachuk if the devils landed gaudreau but now that’s over with I have zero interest in trading Bratt

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Value aside, has a #2 draft pick (or even top 10) been traded before even playing a single game for said team?

Calgary had a shot apparently at #2 at the draft but declined. Nemec won't be available in a Tkachuk trade.
The Berard/Redden swap is probably the most recent example I can recall, and as someone else mentioned Lindros.

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
Tkachuk and Meier are unlikely and idk any other available names for 1st line talents
Devils should though look to moving their 2023 1st. Will be the most valuable draft pick they can trade for a very long time (once you start becoming a playoff team your picks lose value)

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey
The impression from the Fitz interview today that I got is he is not done, still looking for depth moves and looking for another D in free agency. It almost seems they are content with their top 6. Especially when answering a question about the addition of Haula where he said putting him as a center on the 3rd line allows Mercer to move to wing on the top 6 where he played some time last year.

Obviously, I'd be on board with another top forward if Fitz went that route but It did not seem like he was going that route anymore. I hope I am wrong though.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Tkachuk is heading to free agency next year probably no matter what. I suspect couple teams like Flyers, Devils, Blues, Red Wings, maybe Bruins or Isles (Kraken trying to maybe but unlikely serious suitor) even on outside to be in on that action.

I think Devils are done for now, they're going to try and lock Bratt up, and revisit UFA with some cap space next offseason again.

Reactions: HBK27 and HITMAN88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad