May 24, 2012
Montreal
Hey everybody!

The Habs are surrently roling with this line-up:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Domi - Weal
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Suzuki

Weal is such a sore spot on that line-up.

I would do this in this situation:

Lehkonen - Domi - Armia
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Byron - Thompson - Weal

But in a perfect world we would acquire a legit top 6 RW.

Which RW are available or possibly available and what would the price be?

An example: And it's just an example so don't go bat%$%? on me.

Ehlers for Suzuki + Juulsen/Brook + 2nd rounder

What do the fan bases think?

Which top 6 RW would you trade for or trade to us and for what?

Cheers!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ehlers is a left shot. And he's probably not available for what Montreal would be wiling to give up.

Montreal doesn't need a top-6 RW that desperately. They try to roll 4 lines.

Youkotkabekiddinme

Oct 15, 2019
Hey everybody!

Lehkonen - Domi - Weal

Lehkonen - Domi - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Weal

Cheers!
Im gonna go with no from a habs prospective, can't give up on Suzuki after 5 games. Also with caufield arriving potentially at the end of the year/ start of next year it doesn't make sense to give up 2 prospects and a pick.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Lehkonen - Domi - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Weal

Our lineup is a bit of a problem for a few different reasons. Kotkaniemi and Domi both deserve to have talented wingers, but its hard when that top line is one of the best 5on5 groups in the league.

Weal and Armia are both bottom 6 wingers, but we effectively try to roll two 2nd lines, and both of them are out of their element on this team it seems.

Ehlers is worth that price, but I wouldn't want to pay it. They would want Brook, who has a very real shot at being a top 4 guy, and Suzuki who clearly has a TON of skill and potential in this league. If I am moving those guys, I would want it to bring back a much better player than Ehlers, even if we would have to add on top.

The real solution, believe it or not, would be to add a legitimate 3C to this team. It makes sense short term, and potentially long term as we can have more roster flexibility. Think a player like Pageau, or Bennett.

Tatar-Danault Gallagher (Shutdown line)
Domi/Kotkaniemi/Drouin (Offense1)
Lehkonen - Pageau - Suzuki (Elite 3rd line)
Byron - Weal - Armia (Speed, size, grit)

Eventually, Pageau could replace Weal as the 4th line center as he is just a better Weal, and a player like Poehling could fill that 3C spot. As players like Tatar and Danault become expendable (UFA, traded) Domi can become a 2C behind Kotkaniemi, Drouin can go back to the left side, and Suzuki can slide up.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Hey everybody!

Lehkonen - Domi - Weal

Lehkonen - Domi - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Weal

Cheers!
Why switch Armia with suzuki , Drouin Kotka and Armia are doing insane.

Reactions: Vachon23

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Honestly, this just isn't the year for Montreal imo.... Poehling, Caufield, Romanov and Suzuki are all seriously good young players who should be able to play significant roles next year. I don't think it's worth it to dump assets into acquiring a RW or even a LD right now unless the price is really good. I wonder if Winnipeg would move Ehlers for Petry if it becomes abundantly clear Buff isn't returning

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Not in your wildest dreams.

That's what I'm inclined to believe but desperation can make some wild things happen... Chevy isn't the GM I'd expect to do so however

Petry is statistically one of the best 5v5 players in the league over the past couple of years though, and that's a fact

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
That's what I'm inclined to believe but desperation can make some wild things happen...

Petry is statistically one of the best 5v5 players in the league over the past couple of years though, and that's a fact

Which is why Montreal probably doesn't trade Petry for an Ehlers. We can talk about raw value, but there is no chance yet another skilled, slightly undersized left shot winger would help Montreal more than Petry. Its not a move you make to be competitive in the present. As for the future, its pretty clear that Montreal wants a better left shot/right shot balance on the wings. Ehlers doesn't help that at all.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Honestly, this just isn't the year for Montreal imo.... Poehling, Caufield, Romanov and Suzuki are all seriously good young players who should be able to play significant roles next year. I don't think it's worth it to dump assets into acquiring a RW or even a LD right now unless the price is really good. I wonder if Winnipeg would move Ehlers for Petry if it becomes abundantly clear Buff isn't returning
I agree with you on the first part. However I wouldn't trade Petry. Defenseman are harder to predict and there are no garanty our prospect become top 4 Ds.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Moving Petry for Ehlers basically means we're done contending with Price and Weber, we don't have anyone who does what he does. Value-wise i'd do it but it goes against what management is trying to do (especially because we have a ton of depth on the wings and lack quality Dmen).

Personally i'd re-sign Petry. Him/Weber/Price are pillars for us, they're gonna help our prospects out a ton.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Which is why Montreal probably doesn't trade Petry for an Ehlers. We can talk about raw value, but there is no chance yet another skilled, slightly undersized left shot winger would help Montreal more than Petry. Its not a move you make to be competitive in the present. As for the future, its pretty clear that Montreal wants a better left shot/right shot balance on the wings. Ehlers doesn't help that at all.

I don't think either side necessarily would pull the trigger, but you also have to look at the fact that Petry will be getting a fat raise that the Habs likely don't plan to give him

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Moving Petry for Ehlers basically means we're done contending with Price and Weber, we don't have anyone who does what he does. Value-wise i'd do it but it goes against what management is trying to do (especially because we have a ton of depth on the wings and lack quality Dmen).

Personally i'd re-sign Petry. Him/Weber/Price are pillars for us, they're gonna help our prospects out a ton.

I just don' think Montreal can afford losing Petry right now with how well he's been playing.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

It's tough for me to imagine the Habs giving Petry what he likely demands on his only real chance to cash in, but who knows. Obviously prospects aren't a sure bet, but it's hard for me to imagine that none of Brook, Fleury or Juulsen wind up being a solid top 4 D so there definitely is depth at the position

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I don't think either side necessarily would pull the trigger, but you also have to look at the fact that Petry will be getting a fat raise that the Habs likely don't plan to give him

Well, you're guessing that:

a) Petry will be getting a fat raise; and
b) if he would be getting a fat raise, Montreal wouldn't be giving it to him.

And I'm not sure either of those are correct (depending on what you mean by a fat raise).

And even if both those things are true, I still doubt Montreal would move him for yet another undersized left shot winger.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Montreal seems to find major gold in Flames cast offs.

Can I interest you in a middle 6 RW, Michael Frolik? Looking for cap space and a legit 7th dman upgrade.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Well, you're guessing that:

a) Petry will be getting a fat raise; and
b) if he would be getting a fat raise, Montreal wouldn't be giving it to him.

And I'm not sure either of those are correct (depending on what you mean by a fat raise).

And even if both those things are true, I still doubt Montreal would move him for yet another undersized left shot winger.

I mean I think he could pretty easily get 7-8 million on a 4-5 year term from someone, and Montreal will already be looking at Gallagher's salary doubling and impending contracts for the young guys I mentioned + JK. I just don't envision Petry staying in a Habs sweater past next season. He's been an absolutely pleasant surprise but I just can't imagine them shelling out the money he will deserve and likely demand when it comes down to it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad