Proposal: Top 6 RW to the Habs

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It's tough for me to imagine the Habs giving Petry what he likely demands on his only real chance to cash in, but who knows. Obviously prospects aren't a sure bet, but it's hard for me to imagine that none of Brook, Fleury or Juulsen wind up being a solid top 4 D so there definitely is depth at the position

You make it sound like Petry didn't cash in when he signed his first contract with the Habs. He was 20th highest paid D-man in the NHL when he signed.

And there isn't a ton of evidence that any team is going to give whatever a "fat raise" on a 5.75 AAV contract with a NMC is to a guy that will be 33. Hell, look at what a guy as elite as Giordano signed in 2015.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I mean I think he could pretty easily get 7-8 million on a 4-5 year term from someone, and Montreal will already be looking at Gallagher's salary doubling and impending contracts for the young guys I mentioned + JK. I just don't envision Petry staying in a Habs sweater past next season. He's been an absolutely pleasant surprise but I just can't imagine them shelling out the money he will deserve and likely demand when it comes down to it

I have a hard time believing any non-truly elite D-man (read: stats, accolades and reputation) would get 7-8 million on a 4-5 year term at age 33 unless the cap was much higher. In which case, Montreal can afford him. Especially since they have a fair amount of cap flexibility.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Frolik and a pick for Mike Reilly?

Depends on the pick, but it seems like the idea looks like it's worth hashing out in greater detail. I'm assuming most Flames fans wouldn't attach more than a 4th rounder on Frolik for Reilly. It's not necessary to move Frolik and he's low value, not a dump. It's just a nice thing to have that cap flexibility.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hey everybody!

The Habs are surrently roling with this line-up:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Domi - Weal
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Suzuki

Weal is such a sore spot on that line-up.

I would do this in this situation:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Domi - Armia
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Byron - Thompson - Weal

But in a perfect world we would acquire a legit top 6 RW.

Which RW are available or possibly available and what would the price be?

An example: And it's just an example so don't go bat%$%? on me.

Ehlers for Suzuki + Juulsen/Brook + 2nd rounder

What do the fan bases think?

Which top 6 RW would you trade for or trade to us and for what?

Cheers!

Our lineup is a bit of a problem for a few different reasons. Kotkaniemi and Domi both deserve to have talented wingers, but its hard when that top line is one of the best 5on5 groups in the league.

Weal and Armia are both bottom 6 wingers, but we effectively try to roll two 2nd lines, and both of them are out of their element on this team it seems.

Ehlers is worth that price, but I wouldn't want to pay it. They would want Brook, who has a very real shot at being a top 4 guy, and Suzuki who clearly has a TON of skill and potential in this league. If I am moving those guys, I would want it to bring back a much better player than Ehlers, even if we would have to add on top.

The real solution, believe it or not, would be to add a legitimate 3C to this team. It makes sense short term, and potentially long term as we can have more roster flexibility. Think a player like Pageau, or Bennett.

Tatar-Danault Gallagher (Shutdown line)
Domi/Kotkaniemi/Drouin (Offense1)
Lehkonen - Pageau - Suzuki (Elite 3rd line)
Byron - Weal - Armia (Speed, size, grit)

Eventually, Pageau could replace Weal as the 4th line center as he is just a better Weal, and a player like Poehling could fill that 3C spot. As players like Tatar and Danault become expendable (UFA, traded) Domi can become a 2C behind Kotkaniemi, Drouin can go back to the left side, and Suzuki can slide up.

Buchnevich 3.25 x 2
Strome 3.1 expiring at half = 1.55
subtotal = 4.8 cap hit
+ first two available Ranger 2nds = 2021 + 2022 2nds

for

cap dump Juulsen = 863,333 expiring
making cap hit to MON, cap savings to Rangers just over 3.9
plus
two Canadiens 1sts any of 2020-2025, MON choice of years

Gives MON targeted help at commensurate price [better would cost more], and Les Habs can afford the cap.

Allows Rangers to trim to real core, allows Kravtsov and Chytil to return to roster and mo ice time for Andersson, Howden, etc.

Rangers have to expect w/injuries Juulsen likely to wind up on LTIR but may extend him on min deal 2 way just to have bodies for exp draft.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Buchnevich 3.25 x 2
subtotal = 4.8 cap hit

for

plus

Gives MON targeted help at commensurate price [better would cost more], and Les Habs can afford the cap.

Allows Rangers to trim to real core, allows Kravtsov and Chytil to return to roster and mo ice time for Andersson, Howden, etc.

Rangers have to expect w/injuries Juulsen likely to wind up on LTIR but may extend him on min deal 2 way just to have bodies for exp draft.

Juulsen isn't a cap dump, he's not even in the NHL. He's also not going to be on LTIR.

Strome is of negative value in any form.

Montreal's not giving up Firsts for Buchnevich, they'd want a right shot.

Scrap the entire proposal.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Im gonna go with no from a habs prospective, can't give up on Suzuki after 5 games. Also with caufield arriving potentially at the end of the year/ start of next year it doesn't make sense to give up 2 prospects and a pick.
I'm not giving up on Suzuki.
It's just that Ehlers is a good player has lots of speed which is the Habs style of play which makes him a great fit and he's only 23 years old.
So you have to give to get.

Anyways I was spit balling there.

I see Weal on RW2 and it pains me.

If only Radulov were still here!

Reactions: Bleed4RTeam

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
(mod)

As for the topic of the thread, the issue with Montreal right now is the same that it was three months ago. Center and Left D. Domi is not a center. He will never be a legitimate center. Anyone who knows how the game of hockey is played and can look beyond his point totals also knows that because your ability to play a particular position has nothing to do with your offensive totals.

Montreal needs a veteran center who can still play 16-18 minutes in order to move Domi to the wing and continue to let Kotkaniemi and the other young centers (Poehling and Evans) develop with slightly lesser playing minutes/roles. One of the guys I really wanted at the deadline last year was Staal but he wasn't moved and now re-signed but think that type of player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Buchnevich 3.25 x 2
subtotal = 4.8 cap hit

for

plus

Is this trolling?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Buchnevich 3.25 x 2
subtotal = 4.8 cap hit

for

plus

How about something real.
We'll give you Weal,Lehkonen ,Reilly and a 3rd rd draft pick in exchange for Zibanejad ,DeAngelo and your 1st.
You'll gain the needed cap space and we'll take that #3 C off your hands.

Ledge And Dairy

Depends on the pick, but it seems like the idea looks like it's worth hashing out in greater detail. I'm assuming most Flames fans wouldn't attach more than a 4th rounder on Frolik for Reilly. It's not necessary to move Frolik and he's low value, not a dump. It's just a nice thing to have that cap flexibility.
Mike Reilly is a strict downgrade to Stone, not to mention he's a LD which is the last thing we need. No way do flames trade a solid middle 6 2-way player and a pick just to be able to run a 23 man squad instead of 22. I would consider Juulsen though.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Mike Reilly is a strict downgrade to Stone, not to mention he's a LD which is the last thing we need. No way do flames trade a solid middle 6 2-way player and a pick just to be able to run a 23 man squad instead of 22. I would consider Juulsen though.

Then upgrade the pick and upgrade the d man, but idea wise, it seems like there could be a fit for D man + cap for frolik + pick.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Im gonna go with no from a habs prospective, can't give up on Suzuki after 5 games. Also with caufield arriving potentially at the end of the year/ start of next year it doesn't make sense to give up 2 prospects and a pick.
lol @ not giving up sazuki and picks for ehlers ... on a great long term contract as well..

how bout roslovic for brooke

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Buchnevich 3.25 x 2
subtotal = 4.8 cap hit

for

plus

we're giving up 2 1sts for Buchnevich and Strome???????

classic bern post

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Why do Montreal fans want all the jets forwards for a 2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad