Top-6 player you want

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
We have 53M of SCap.
Most likely, PK will get around 8M (between 7M and 9M).
Eller should get 3M or 4M (depending on the term).

We need to keep at least 1M of SCap space but MB might want to keep more for the trade deadline.

Here are a few options.
Discuss.

I allow multiple choices opened.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Budaj is as good as gone, there's your 1 mil cap space. Wouldn't be surprised to see Moen go either.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Honestly, trading options aside, I'd only consider Vrbata, but, even then, only if he came at no more than 4.5M per and no longer than 2 years. Unlikely we can get him on that kind of a contract though.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
For now, as expected, getting another d-men does not seem to be a priority.

PK, AM, TG and AE are top-4.

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Weaver, Drewiske and maybe Nygren and Pateryn are in line for the remaining two spots.
MB said multiple times that he likes to have depth in defense so I would not be surprised to see him move in that direction unless he is convinced that at least two of our young d-men will be among our top-6.

MT gave ice to Beaulieu in the ECF ahead of Bouillon, Murray and Tinordi so he will get a serious chance to play top-6.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I dunno, maybe there's a scrap-heap shortlist where if I thought I was getting a decent asset for some kind of ridiculous bargain, 1-year term, I could sign just about anybody in that category. Setoguchi for $1M, or Legwand, Stempniak, Ott, etc... but they would have to be a little desperate and really want to come here for that, and that's not going to be until August. I'd hang up an "out to lunch" sign for now. Check back in a month or so and see what's going on then.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I dunno, maybe there's a scrap-heap shortlist where if I thought I was getting a decent asset for some kind of ridiculous bargain, 1-year term, I could sign just about anybody in that category. Setoguchi for $1M, or Legwand, Stempniak, Ott, etc... but they would have to be a little desperate and really want to come here for that, and that's not going to be until August. I'd hang up an "out to lunch" sign for now. Check back in a month or so and see what's going on then.

agreed, though I would go right now with 1 year, 1.5-2.5M$ offers for Booth, Setoguchi and Moss... any of the three would be perfect "flyer" options... strong skaters, large frame, scoring touch (booth-seto)/versatility(moss).

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
agreed, though I would go right now with 1 year, 1.5-2.5M$ offers for Booth, Setoguchi and Moss... any of the three would be perfect "flyer" options... strong skaters, large frame, scoring touch (booth-seto)/versatility(moss).

If Booth was a RW.. I'd flyer on him in no time.. Where he isn't, it just isn't a fit.

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
Hey Habs-bros.

This might be out of left field here. But I was thinking - you might do well by signing Santorelli as a possible destination. He was awesome at both center and wing for us, but was looking for a longer term then our new management was willing to give. Though may take a discounted one to play on a contender.

Also as horrible as it sounds... Booth might not be a bad signing as well as a pet project. He could potentially end up potting some serious points for you guys... or he may be a bust but if it's for a cheap and easy 1 year contract, might not be a bad attempt.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
At this point, two lonely guys voted for:
  • Stempniak (I put his name because I wanted an alternative to Vrbate and Setuguchi);
  • Getting another d-men (I think we need to have space for our young d-men and and am not sure how much MB can hire d-men who will not play, he did push it a lot with Murray!).
Still wanted to put more options out there.
So many polls are to limited in their choice.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I like the look of our roster the way it is. Our top 9 is deep and balanced and our D is set.

We have a significant number of RFAs to sign next summer so it's a good thing MB didn't go crazy with the UFA signings. Signing undervalued players who can fill certain roles at the same price as 1 big name is always the way to go.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
I don't see why MB would sign another top 6...

DD with Patches and PAP/Gally
Plek with Chucky and PAP/Gally
Eller Bork Weise/Sekac/???
Manny with Prust Bournival/Moen/Weise/Sekac

I feel like Weise should get "3rd line minutes" come october, given that he plays the same game as last year, which I'm pretty confident he'll be able to do. What about Sekac? Is he a roster player?

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I like the look of our roster the way it is. Our top 9 is deep and balanced and our D is set.

We have a significant number of RFAs to sign next summer so it's a good thing MB didn't go crazy with the UFA signings. Signing undervalued players who can fill certain roles at the same price as 1 big name is always the way to go.
I don't see a significant number.

But as far as significant UFA, I see only PK (8M) and Eller (between 2.5 and 3.5M).

That still leaves us with 4M SCap.
Maybe not enough for Vrbata but still leaves us with 2.5M of SCap for another player.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Open spot baby!! :yo:

God I love Bergevin, 2 years ago those open spots gave us Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Who knows how fast DLR, Hudon, Sepak or Andrighetto can develop next to Galchenyuk and Plekanec.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

God I love Bergevin, 2 years ago those open spots gave us Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Who knows how fast DLR, Hudon, Sepak or Andrighetto can develop next to Galchenyuk and Plekanec.

Sekac is the new Georges.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal

Hudon will need at least a year in AHL.
Sepak is an unknown, may be a top-9 at best.
DeLaRose is a very interesting prospect but at his age, I fail to see him making NHL.
Andrighetto will have a spot if players on the right wing are injured and only if he can improve on his numbers in AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad