TSN: Top 50 NHL players

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Scott Cullen is at it again. He tweeted this in reponse to TSN's list.

Scott Cullen ‏@tsnscottcullen
Overrated: Drew Doughty, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Richards, Dustin Brown (winning as a team has quite the effect)

Give me a ****ing break. Outside of Eberle he listed four Stanley Cup champions, 3 Olympic Gold medal winners and a Silver medal winner. I guess that a Toronto-centric pundit wouldn't understand how important winning is.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
it is truly hilarious that people say how much better seguin is then hall when if you put him on the bruins and he doesnt get hurt, he would probably have been higher then seguin was

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
it is truly hilarious that people say how much better seguin is then hall when if you put him on the bruins and he doesnt get hurt, he would probably have been higher then seguin was

I'm not even upset about that. What shocks me even more is that he is above any of the guys listed 32-40

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
Agreed. I had actually thought they snubbed Seguin until I got to 31

Me too!

When I saw Hall at 50 and Nuge just above him, then continued on to see everyone else there I though Sequin didn't end up making it into the top 50....then I got to 31 and had a "WHAT?.....what?" moment all by myself :laugh:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I would take Jordan Staal over Gaborik

:laugh:

Backstrom is good but he isn't elite. Without Ovechkin he would never have been on this list.

Backstrom is definitely elite, watch the Caps sometime thaddsky.

Suter will crash hard. Without Weber he could suffer the Reden syndrome.

:laugh: Suter is on a better team now.

Ovechkin wil shoot back up the list now that they've got an offensive minded coach.

I agree because Backstrom's healthy now.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
It's not even the fact that he's above Hall that doesn't make any sense. I might take every single player that was ranked behind Seguin on that list ahead of him.

I simply cannot understand why everybody loves Seguin to the extent that they do. I mean he's a good player, but 31? Not even close.
Seguin was 2nd in the league in +/- and top 30 scoring, how far down the list can you really move the guy?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Seguin was 2nd in the league in +/- and top 30 scoring, how far down the list can you really move the guy?

45-50 tops.

+\- is an irrelevant team stat, especially when you're playing on Bergeron's wing, and top 30 in scoring does not even come close to meaning he is the 31st best player in the NHL. Thats especially true when you consider that he started last year red hot then cooled down considerably throughout the remainder of the season.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
45-50 tops.

+\- is an irrelevant team stat, especially when you're playing on Bergeron's wing, and top 30 in scoring does not even come close to meaning he is the 31st best player in the NHL. Thats especially true when you consider that he started last year red hot then cooled down considerably throughout the remainder of the season.

Try telling that to the main boards and they'll twist the numbers to make it seem like they are equal:laugh:

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
45-50 tops.

Bergeron's wing? Is he the best center in the nhl now? Gimme a break. Chara has far more to do with the success of the players in Bos, just like CP elevated Hemsky and Horcoff here.

You don't like seeing Seguin ahead of Hall, I get it. But regardless of how good Seguin's teammates are he played well enough to fit like a glove. He was also a key player in Boston's Cup success two years ago.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Bergeron's wing? Is he the best center in the nhl now? Gimme a break. Chara has far more to do with the success of the players in Bos, just like CP elevated Hemsky and Horcoff here.

You don't like seeing Seguin ahead of Hall, I get it. But regardless of how good Seguin's teammates are he played well enough to fit like a glove. He was also a key player in Boston's Cup success two years ago.

Bergeron is one of the best defensive centers in the league. Also, Seguin didn't really do much in that Cup run.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Health counts.

This list is about what people have done the past though, nothing more. Hopefully Hall gets the last laugh but right now it's Kings to Seguin.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

by sitting in the press box?...the kid had 1 good period of hockey. that's not a key player.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I don't even care that he was ranked ahead of Hall (although I would disagree with that), I just think its absurd that he's ranked at 31.

I get it, he won a cup even though he did jack squat outside of two games, he hasn't gotten injured yet, and he has a good +\- playing alongside maybe the best defensive centre in the game.

Sorry, but these attributes that everyone keeps parroting when talking about Seguin in comparison to other players doesn't do it for me.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Bergeron is one of the best defensive centers in the league. Also, Seguin didn't really do much in that Cup run.
Bergeron would be nobody without Chara on that team, and he was absolutely brutal playing for team Canada at the Olympics. I crapped my pants every time he stepped on the ice. Watch the gold medal game again and look who's on the ice every time the USA has a flurry in Canda's end.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bergeron would be nobody without Chara on that team, and he was absolutely brutal playing for team Canada at the Olympics. I crapped my pants every time he stepped on the ice. Watch the gold medal game again and look who's on the ice every time the USA has a flurry in Canda's end.

What does Chara have to do with Bergeron? Did i miss something and Bergeron was paired with Chara on defense?
Bergeron would be a stud 2 way forward on any team because he's really good in all 3 zones, you can see just by watching him play. It has nothing to do with Chara.
Bergeron is currently the best forward on that team IMO.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
What does Chara have to do with Bergeron? Did i miss something and Bergeron was paired with Chara on defense?
Bergeron would be a stud 2 way forward on any team because he's really good in all 3 zones, you can see just by watching him play. It has nothing to do with Chara.
Bergeron is currently the best forward on that team IMO.
I mentioned in an earlier post that when CP was here it elevated Hemsky and Horcoff to career years, if Bergeron was playing with Whitney and Smid I don't think he'd be "an elite defensive fwd".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad