TSN: Top 50 NHL players

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
yeah i don't get this either, not at all to be honest.... i'm not slamming seguin at 31, i think you could argue that maybe... but hall has been better than seguin at pretty much everything except winning, which isn't really his fault... i'm guessing injuries is the potential reason for hall being behind him by that many spots

It's not even the fact that he's above Hall that doesn't make any sense. I might take every single player that was ranked behind Seguin on that list ahead of him.

I simply cannot understand why everybody loves Seguin to the extent that they do. I mean he's a good player, but 31? Not even close.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
They need to let Bob McKenzie do the Top 50 list by himself next time.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm actually a bit surprised that Eberle is as high as 25. There are some players listed below him who are clearly better right now but whatever, it's good to see some Oilers getting respect.
What i don't get and it seems to be a universal opinion outside of HFOil is that Seguin is listed so much higher than Hall. Are we really that biased to think that Hall is currently the better player? I personally think that it's a toss up between the two but having Seguin that much higher is a little ridiculous.

Couture above RNH and Hall is a joke.

I don't know about that. He is currently just as good offensively and a good deal better defensively than both. Hall and RNH clearly have more upside though.

BadMedicine*

Find it hilarious how Seguin somehow is 31 while Hall is 50. At the very least, they should be neck-and-neck.

Hall is poised to make his mark this shortened year,he will be a true gamebreaker this year and because it is so short the impact will be undeniable.

This is likely the last year we will hear much about Sayagain in conversations with Halls name included. Taylor Hall will create seperation between himself and his draftmates by establishing himself as an NHL gamebreaker--first goal and winning goal type of player.Taylor is using his speed much more effectively this year and it should translate into more scoring chances.

I think Ebbs is a little low on the list.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Seguin the best forward on the Bruins?

This is one I definitely take issue with. Bergeron wins the Selke, finishes 2nd in face off % (.1% behind Toews for top spot) and took the fourth most draws in the league. Seguin has 3 more points. Am I missing something?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Giroux is a really good player. I might take him over Stamkos considering how much more Giroux does at his position.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Well, Seguin played the full season and scored 67 points while leading Bruins in +/- category. He certainly had a better season than Hall last year. Will he end being a better player long-term? Time will tell, but it is certainly not out of the question.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Am I the only one who does not see Stamkos as good as his counting numbers indicate? There's something about him that just screams supplementary player (albeit undoubtedly an elite one) not the franchise centre, much less the top 3 player in the world.

AvOiL

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2008
Calgary, AB
Positive observation: the Oilers are 1 of 6 teams with 3 or more players on this list. The five other teams are the Penguins, Blackhawks, Kings, Rangers (with 4 each), and the Bruins (with 3).

Here's to hoping that we add at least one more player to next year's list.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Seguin the best forward on the Bruins?

Giroux over the best goalscorer in the NHL?

They buy into a lot of the hype, but it's their list.
Not argueing where he was ranked if it was to high or not or if he should have been that much over Hall, just the three points over Bergy does not tell the whole story.

Seguin was the best forward on the Bruins, he was switched between having Marchand and Bergeon or Lucic and Krejci on his line, witch ever line he was on did all the scoreing.

The Bruins put him with Lucic and Krejci because they both had 5 games without a point immediatly that line has a 9 point night and scores a ton, the Bergeron line sufferd, they put him back vice-verca, he was easily the Mvp of the bruins on offence, his defence is really good aswell.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I've always seen Bergeron as the one who stirs the Bruins' drink. Seguin really slowed down in the second half last year after his torrid start.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Not argueing where he was ranked if it was to high or not or if he should have been that much over Hall, just the three points over Bergy does not tell the whole story.

Seguin was the best forward on the Bruins, he was switched between having Marchand and Bergeon or Lucic and Krejci on his line, witch ever line he was on did all the scoreing.

The Bruins put him with Lucic and Krejci because they both had 5 games without a point immediatly that line has a 9 point night and scores a ton, the Bergeron line sufferd, they put him back vice-verca, he was easily the Mvp of the bruins on offence, his defence is really good aswell.

Can't agree with that from my viewings.

I'd take almost every player rated after him down to 50 over Seguin right now, including Bergeron.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This is one I definitely take issue with. Bergeron wins the Selke, finishes 2nd in face off % (.1% behind Toews for top spot) and took the fourth most draws in the league. Seguin has 3 more points. Am I missing something?

Sequin is shinier new toy:laugh:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Am I the only one who does not see Stamkos as good as his counting numbers indicate? There's something about him that just screams supplementary player (albeit undoubtedly an elite one) not the franchise centre, much less the top 3 player in the world.

It's funny because even after his first 50+ goal campaign, I kind of felt the same thing though I'm not sure still. I suppose if MSL is injured for long stretch or retires, we'll be able to see if this is true.

50 goals is impressive but there was always that "did he do all the dirty work?" or "was he just a product of an excellent setup man?" thing whenever I watched Stamkos

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I would take Jordan Staal over Gaborik
I would take Staal, Richards and Gaborik over Brown. What the hell.. Brown shouldn't even be on this list.
Brad Richards overrated
James Neal wouldn't be that high up if he hadn't been playing with great centers his whole career.
Getzlaf got way too overhyped coming off of a dreadful season.
Backstrom is good but he isn't elite. Without Ovechkin he would never have been on this list.
How the hell do you take Seguin over Hossa?!?!?!?!
Suter will crash hard. Without Weber he could suffer the Reden syndrome.
Ovechkin wil shoot back up the list now that they've got an offensive minded coach.
Toews is ranked way the hell too high.

I think that list just exists to make Canadians happy.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
James Neal was robbed i thought he'd be much higher on the list, he had 40 goals and 40 assists and gets ranked 36 behind guys like Seguin its criminal,

Lists like these are very subjective and opinionated and thus subject to alot of criticism

Agreed, Neal should be much higher.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Sequin had a great year last year, and can play center or the wing. The kid clearly has amazing skill, an incredible shot and an uncanny ability to get to the right places.

I'm wonder why so many of you want to take this away from him? When he was drafted, it was known he had as much upside as Hall. Since then, Hall's game has been sidetracked by injuries and he has shown his style of game leads to injuries. He has incredible drive, but is not the puckhandler Sequin is.

Perhaps, after a solid year Hall will move up the charts, but at the moment, Sequin is the better, more consistent player. Four TSN experts agree ;).

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
Sequin had a great year last year, and can play center or the wing. The kid clearly has amazing skill, an incredible shot and an uncanny ability to get to the right places.

I'm wonder why so many of you want to take this away from him? When he was drafted, it was known he had as much upside as Hall. Since then, Hall's game has been sidetracked by injuries and he has shown his style of game leads to injuries. He has incredible drive, but is not the puckhandler Sequin is.

Perhaps, after a solid year Hall will move up the charts, but at the moment, Sequin is the better, more consistent player. Four TSN experts agree ;).

I gotta agree with this.

Seguin had a great season last year, has a cup and was 1 goal of a 30 goal season. Those are all facts.

If Hall has a strong season and above all remains healthy then he will answer most of his critics. But right now all of his critics that aren't Oiler fans will say he cant stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad