TSN: Top 50 NHL players

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
TSN counts down the top 50 NHL players at the start of every season. This year three oilers cracked the list. I thought we could discuss their positions as well as all the other player rankings
25. Jordan Eberle
48. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
50. Taylor Hall
The full list can be found here.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=81139

I thought Eberle should have been higher maybe top 20 but thats just my oilers bias. Nice to see all three make the list
Other notables:
Iginla at 37 is the only flame on the list and was at 18 one year ago.
Stamkos was 4th i thought he'd be 3rd
Crosby still number 1 ahead of Malkin, i think crosby needs to stay healthy and prove that he is still number 1
Alex Ovechkin went from number 2 last year to number 14 this year, should he have been in the top ten?

Thoughts?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
RNH may well be a better player in the future, but Hall is better now.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Find it hilarious how Seguin somehow is 31 while Hall is 50. At the very least, they should be neck-and-neck.

Last edited:

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
RNH may well be a better player in the future, but Hall is better now.

Agreed, it's likely Hall's injury history that keeps him so far down. Although I would still argue that if injuries are a factor in this list, Malkin should be higher than Crosby.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Eberle better than Martin St.Louis?

:laugh:

As usual TSN's lists appear to be written by elementary students.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Find it hilarious how Seguin somehow is 31 while Hall is 50. At the very least, they should be neck-in-neck.

yeah i don't get this either, not at all to be honest.... i'm not slamming seguin at 31, i think you could argue that maybe... but hall has been better than seguin at pretty much everything except winning, which isn't really his fault... i'm guessing injuries is the potential reason for hall being behind him by that many spots

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Malkin should be #1

Stamkos > Giroux

Patty Kane should be listed a lot higher.

The Perfect Human*

Seguin and Eberle a bit too high. Backstrom, Thornton, Pietrangelo, Hossa getting criminally underrated.

RNH, Hall, Seguin, Eberle should all be within 10 spots of each other IMO.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Find it hilarious how Seguin somehow is 31 while Hall is 50. At the very least, they should be neck-in-neck.

Its truly bizarre.

But at least they didn't jump on the Landeskog hype-train and properly ranked RNH ahead of him. Guess you can't win em all.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
Bizarre list...how are Hall and Eberle not #1 and #2?

I mean, did the tsn poll in the summer for the top players under 25 count for nothing??

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Such lists are a waste of time. It is never clear what criteria are used (past performance? potential performance in the upcoming season? popularity? ); and even if one gave the criteria, there is no way one can eliminate subjective judgement.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Malkin should be #1

Stamkos > Giroux

Patty Kane should be listed a lot higher.

Hmmm, I don't know...
I think I'd rather have Giroux on my roster than Stamkos.
Stamkos will score a lot. Giroux will score too, not as much, but everybody playing with him will score in bunches too.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Seguin the best forward on the Bruins?

Giroux over the best goalscorer in the NHL?

They buy into a lot of the hype, but it's their list.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
It's like they put 30 good players names in a hat and then randomly pulled them out and created 20-50 on this list.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Am I the only person that thinks Mike Richards has no business being anywhere on this list? The guy has not been the same player the last couple of years, and his character hasn't exactly been talked about as ideal.

I mean, there is a 40 goal scorer someone behind him on the list...really?

He has some intangible, but he's nowhere on my list.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I don't really care about lists, I care about how these kids, and the team in general does on the ice.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Am I the only person that thinks Mike Richards has no business being anywhere on this list? The guy has not been the same player the last couple of years, and his character hasn't exactly been talked about as ideal.

I mean, there is a 40 goal scorer someone behind him on the list...really?

He has some intangible, but he's nowhere on my list.

James Neal was robbed i thought he'd be much higher on the list, he had 40 goals and 40 assists and gets ranked 36 behind guys like Seguin its criminal,

Lists like these are very subjective and opinionated and thus subject to alot of criticism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad