Top 5 worst Leafs trades since 2000

Disgruntled Observer*

Wait what? What are you talking about?

Kessel is second in points with 69, Seguin is 17th with 57 and Hamilton is who knows what rank with 15 points...

OH wait... Do you mean Seguin + Hamilton in points is higher than Kessel? I hope you really don't mean that because that's not how statistic works my friend... By your logic, Tyler Bozak + Mason Raymond + Paul Ranger must be equal to Sidney Crosby with 80 points. Three current NHL players vs one, as per your argument.

I really hope for your sake that that's not what you mean.. You would have otherwise succeeded in leaving me at a lost for words. And that doesn't happen often. And not to mention, put any of your future arguments on very very shaky grounds.

I'm about 60% sure that you're just joking with this post... it's that ridiculous... but in case you're not...

are you trying to suggest that, even though Kessel was traded for TWO players, I can only compare him to ONE?
Is that REALLY what you're suggesting?

Ok fine...
In your fantasy world where kessel was only traded for ONE player, we won.
Satisfied?
But in the REAL world, we lost.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
1. Rask for Raycroft
2. Picks for Toskala and Bell
3. Colaiacovo and Steen for Stempniak
4. Kubina and Stapleton for Exelby and Stuart
5. Tlusty for Paradis

gosuscores

Apr 29, 2010
I'm about 60% sure that you're just joking with this post... it's that ridiculous... but in case you're not...

are you trying to suggest that, even though Kessel was traded for TWO players, I can only compare him to ONE?

Ok fine...
Satisfied?

You know what I find amusing? Nowhere in my posts do I make any suggestions about comparing Kessel to one player. Nowhere. At this point you're just taking someone else's opinion and putting it in my mouth.

And you know what else I find amusing? I am merely repeating your own logic. So if you find my posts to be a joke, you're just laughing at yourself, and I would have made my point.

Let me get something straight: I don't have a problem if you can provide a proper comparison between Kessel and Seguin/Hamilton. If you had provided a better and unbiased argument for Seguin/Hamilton, I might have even agreed with you.

So if you want to make a comparison between one player vs 2+ players, please make them properly. Look at the impact each player has on their team, and that means both the positive and negative impact. Look at the whole picture, not a selected set of statistics that conveniently suit your arguments and skew their interpretations. Also consider the aspect that are not described in statistics, namely the type of game they play and provide a non-biased analysis of the comparison. To just add the statistics of two players together as if they were one super player is not a proper analysis. That is just ridiculous, wishful thinking and generally unsound thinking process.

When you can provide a complete, non-biased, analysis, and it concludes with Seguin and Hamilton being more favourable for the Leafs, you would have made your point. And that's something I would be looking forward to read.

Last edited:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

Ok fine...
Satisfied?

In the real world, we never traded Kessel away for Seguin or Hamilton or Knight.
In the real world, trading one player for 3 means that it opens up 2 other roster spots. These 2 spots must be filled and their production, both offensive and defensive, as well as their salaries must be taken into consideration if one were to compare the players in the deal.
The only way one would compare that 1 player to the 3 players collectively, would be if the team left both roster spots empty. That is clearly not the case with Toronto.

In the real world, a hockey trade is near the bottom of the list of good things or bad things that happen in anyone's life.

crazyaces**

Traded for Yanic Peaurault for a 2nd round pick in the deep 2008 draft, when you could have signed him for free!

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
The Nolan trade looks better with time. Stuart was OK I guess but the other pieces were pretty meh (outside of Boyes career year). I'd swap it out for the McCabe or Kubina trades which netted us nothing.

You're forgetting impactful Mike Van Ryn was:sarcasm:

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
1. Rask

2. Adam Mair and 2nd round pick (surprise surprise) becomes Mike Cammalleri for Aki Berg

3. Owen Nolan for Brad Boyes Alyn McAuley and 1st round pick (Mark Stuart)

4. 22nd pick Tyler Biggs for 39th John Gibson and 30th Rickard Rakell

5. Svehla for Yushkevich

I was a big fan of Yushkevich but I wouldn't say that is one of the worst trades, or even a bad trade. Yushkevich was coming off that blood-clot and no one knew if he'd be able to return to form. Sure enough, he only had one more (lackluster too) season in the NHL. Svehla also played only one more season, but I remember it being a good one.

At worst this trade was a wash. I believe sentimentality is clouding your judgement.

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
as bad as that steen trade was, i doubt steen would have developed into a consistent scorer had he continued playing in toronto.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Do people forget that the reason Rask was traded was Justin Pogge, considered a top goalie prospect, was also in the system at the same time. JFJ simply picked the wrong prospect to trade.

If he traded Pogge and kept Rask would we be having this conversation... maybe, leafs prospect development has a horrible track record.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Do people forget that the reason Rask was traded was Justin Pogge, considered a top goalie prospect, was also in the system at the same time. JFJ simply picked the wrong prospect to trade.

If he traded Pogge and kept Rask would we be having this conversation... maybe, leafs prospect development has a horrible track record.

Neither goalie should have been traded at the time, especially for Andrew freakin' Raycroft.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Nope.

Boston wanted Rask not Pogge.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Well at least the author decided not to be a tool and deem the Kessel deal as one of the worst deals... Personally I feel that the Rask for Raycroft was the worst of those deals. The Steen deal is the other deal that leaves me with a very bitter taste in my mouth mostly due to the circumstances surrounding it. Can not figure what the hell Fletcher was thinking making a significant trade just before a new GM is hired. The only thing I can think of is that Fletcher was trying to make a move that would leave a legacy for him...too bad it backfired so badly. The Toskala deal was not exactly brilliant but in the long run, it did not hurt as much as the other two deals. Nolan was a risk that the team made in an attempt to win the cup that sadly did not work out due to injuries to Nolan before the playoffs. I don't think Tlusty would have ever had an impact with TO and thus moving him, even if for spare parts matters very little to me.

There are a couple other stinker deals that the Leafs made over this period which should have been listed...Kubina and McCabe deals come to mind pretty fast.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Hopefully this helps put things in perspective:

June 23, 2001
To :isles
Alexei Yashin

To :sens
Zdeno Chara
Bill Muckalt
2001 NYI 1st (2nd overall; Jason Spezza)

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
BUT WE TRADED KESSEL FOR WHAT TURNED INTO TWO NHL PLAYERS!!!!
I can only compare him to one?
WHAT KIND OF MESSED UP NONSENSE IS THAT?????

I never said that Seguin is "good" at defense.
But comparing him to "mister one dimensional" defensively is a joke. And yes... I know that a few times a season Kessel hustles on a back check (just about every leaf fan in the world SCREAMS about it the few times a year it happens)... but Seguin is still MUCH better defensively.
It's like Kessel is a 1 out of 10 defensively (overhyped 3 backchecks a season aside) and Seguin is a 3 out of 10.
Still three times better, but not good.

And Seguin is ALREADY a ppg player in his 4th year. Something that didn't happen to Kessel till his 6th year.
JUST IMAGINE WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN HE HITS HIS PRIME!!!

And you just accused a player that was 21 in his last playoff appearance of being "invicisible in the playoffs".
GOD ****ING FORBID A 21 YEAR OLD KID ISN'T ELITE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!"

IT'S JUST SO EMBARRASSING!!!!
you should change your user name to heart attacking waiting to happen

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Nikolai Kulemin is THE ONLY player still on the Leafs roster from when Alex Steen was a Leaf.

He had 4 points in 20 games the year he was traded. He was all around, a terrible player by the end of his time in Toronto. The year before that he had 42 points. The year before that he had 35 points.

He has 1 year of 50+ points in his entire career (which has been quite long) since he was drafted in the 1st round.

The person the Leafs acquired in return is the exact same player as Steen with, quite frankly, better numbers per games played than Steen.

People are clearly looking at the one good season that Steen is having now and assuming he would even be on the team years after a trade happened. They are also assuming he would be performing at the same level. Steen is not even close to one of the worst trades since 2000; and if he is, than the Leafs have been pretty lucky via trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad