Top 5 worst Leafs trades since 2000

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Fletcher should have never been named the interim GM, that was just idiotic. The main thing that bugged me, is that we wouldn't package Steen with Kaberle to get Chris Pronger, but hey, Lee Stempniak, can't pass that up! All I will say on that trade.
It was actually JFJ who didn't want to include Steen in the Kaberle for Pronger trade.

Disgruntled Observer*

1. Kessel apocalypse
2. Rask humiliation
3. Toskola disaster
4. Steen fiasco

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Looking back it's easy to say the Owen Nolan trade wasn't that good because of who the Leafs could have selected with the 21st pick in the 2003 Draft.

However I'm willing to bet at the time if the Leafs didn't trade for Nolan there would be some Leafs fans who said why didn't Pat Quinn do anything, because I remember that was the complaint after the 2001 and 2002 trade deadlines.

At that time I was happy with the trade because it showed the Leafs were trying to win the Stanley Cup and I never thought of who they could have potentially drafted in the 1st round.

Kyle Doobas*

You consider words like "humiliation" and "disaster" difficult words that only thesaurus users would use?
Wow...
I just thought the way you configured that post was amusing and decided to make a joke about it. I know your whole shtick as the 'Disgruntled Observer' is acting like you have a stick the size of the Eiffel Tower lodged up your ass, but c'mon. Live a little.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
1. Kessel apocalypse
2. Rask humiliation
3. Toskola disaster
4. Steen fiasco

I wasn't happy with the Kessel deal when it first happened, but how can you still say it's still the worst trade? Segiun is not even close to a warrior type leader you build a team around. That's why Boston got rid of him. At best he becomes as good as Kessel. So basicly we lost Hamilton. I'm not crying over that. Who knows where the leafs would of drafted if they didn't make the deal anyway. The worst deal was rask by far. Steen is having a career year so we lost out on that too.

Disgruntled Observer*

I wasn't happy with the Kessel deal when it first happened, but how can you still say it's still the worst trade? Segiun is not even close to a warrior type leader you build a team around. That's why Boston got rid of him. At best he becomes as good as Kessel. So basicly we lost Hamilton. I'm not crying over that. Who knows where the leafs would of drafted if they didn't make the deal anyway. The worst deal was rask by far. Steen is having a career year so we lost out on that too.

So Boston getting rid of Seguin proves he isn't any good.
Wow. Great argument.
Boston also "got rid" of Kessel... at the same age.

And while Kessel is in his PRIME and having a career year, the almost teenagers Seguin/Hamilton tandem STILL have more points.
AS ALMOST TEENAGERS!!!!
AND BOTH ARE BETTER DEFENSIVELY!!!!!
Just IMAGINE the humiliation when they get anywhere NEAR their primes.
It's just so embarrassing...

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
So Boston getting rid of Seguin proves he isn't any good.
Wow. Great argument.
Boston also "got rid" of Kessel... at the same age.

And while Kessel is in his PRIME and having a career year, the almost teenagers Seguin/Hamilton tandem STILL have more points.
AS ALMOST TEENAGERS!!!!
AND BOTH ARE BETTER DEFENSIVELY!!!!!
Just IMAGINE the humiliation when they get anywhere NEAR their primes.
It's just so embarrassing...

Seguin has played 4 seasons. He's no longer a rookie. He's soft. Invisible in the playoffs and if you think he's good defensively your drunk.

If he is good defensively why did canada not even invite him to camp?

Who did Boston trade him for an older guy who is good defensively?

Comparing the point totals of two players as an argument makes no sense at at. I guess that means we lost the Phenuef trade then. Hamilton has also looked like he has taken a step back.

Boston lost in the cup finals and who do you think they looked at as a guy they needed to move in order to win the Cup. Seguin.

Last edited:

Disgruntled Observer*

I just thought the way you configured that post was amusing and decided to make a joke about it. I know your whole shtick as the 'Disgruntled Observer' is acting like you have a stick the size of the Eiffel Tower lodged up your ass, but c'mon. Live a little.

Sorry man.
Sometimes this place makes so freaking angry that I lose my sense of humour.

Disgruntled Observer*

Seguin has played 4 seasons. He's no longer a rookie. He's soft. Invisible in the playoffs and if you think he's good defensively your drunk. Comparing the point totals of two players as an argument makes no sense at at. I guess that means we lost the Phenuef trade then. Hamilton has also looked like he has taken a step back.

BUT WE TRADED KESSEL FOR WHAT TURNED INTO TWO NHL PLAYERS!!!!
I can only compare him to one?
WHAT KIND OF MESSED UP NONSENSE IS THAT?????

I never said that Seguin is "good" at defense.
But comparing him to "mister one dimensional" defensively is a joke. And yes... I know that a few times a season Kessel hustles on a back check (just about every leaf fan in the world SCREAMS about it the few times a year it happens)... but Seguin is still MUCH better defensively.
It's like Kessel is a 1 out of 10 defensively (overhyped 3 backchecks a season aside) and Seguin is a 3 out of 10.
Still three times better, but not good.

And Seguin is ALREADY a ppg player in his 4th year. Something that didn't happen to Kessel till his 6th year.
JUST IMAGINE WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN HE HITS HIS PRIME!!!

And you just accused a player that was 21 in his last playoff appearance of being "invicisible in the playoffs".
GOD ****ING FORBID A 21 YEAR OLD KID ISN'T ELITE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!"

IT'S JUST SO EMBARRASSING!!!!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Agreed, it's extremely stupid no matter how you look at it. Unfortunately I think MLSE wanted someone training on North American ice, and since they decided they had to get rid of one they chose Rask.

Oh well, praise Bernier.
Boston chose Rask. They had another goalie, Hannu Toivonen, who they expected to be their starter. They liked the idea of two Finnish goalies in the system, so they had no interest in Pogge.
Exactly, but they thought they HAD to go out and get an NHL ready tender, and they thought Pogge made Rask expendable. I've been reading more about the trade and this worst part is that allegedly the B's would have waived Raycroft if they didn't get any offers. This means we could have had Rask, Pogge and Raycroft :help:
Raycroft was available at the draft and the rumour was he was on his way to another team (can't remember if it was Detroit or Ottawa) for a 1st round pick. Waivers was never a likely destination since there was interest in him.

Worst trades I can remember would be
1. Rask
2. Steen
3. Kubina

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Tuuka is gonna haunt me til that day I die (tad bit overexaggerating)

But comparing him to "mister one dimensional" defensively is a joke. And yes... I know that a few times a season Kessel hustles on a back check (just about every leaf fan in the world SCREAMS about it the few times a year it happens)... but Seguin is still MUCH better defensively.
It's like Kessel is a 1 out of 10 defensively (overhyped 3 backchecks a season aside) and Seguin is a 3 out of 10.

And Seguin is ALREADY a ppg player in his 4th year. Something that didn't happen to Kessel till his 6th year.

And you just accused a player that was 21 in his last playoff appearance of being "invicisible in the playoffs".

I wouldnt trade kessel now for seguin and hamilton.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010

Kessel has been good in both hus playoff appearances.

No one says seguin can't be a ppg player. Especially when he has Benn to play with. Kessel has made JVR and Bosak into close to ppg players and is in a tier just below Crosby, Stamkos and Malkin. Can you see Seguin ever being in that Top tier? I don't.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

In all honesty, it's you that's embarrassing. You will **** on this team regardless of what they do, even when it's not warranted. I'm all for being frustrated and upset when things aren't going well, but come on man. Relax.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Is it possible to list trade offers on here that were rejected? IE pronger for Steen turned down?

Ouch at Kevin Lowe for once not being the dumbest guy in the room.

gosuscores

Apr 29, 2010

I'd love to hear you do a proper, non-biased comparison for a change. You conveniently select your arguments and neglect to mention points that actually matters.

Also, your whole argument of

really doesn't fly. That is not quantitative evidence, that is speculative.

The argument that Seguin became a ppg player sooner than Kessel does not imply that Seguin is a better player than Kessel. Albert Einstein didn't speak until age four and didn't read until age seven. His teachers labeled him "slow" and "mentally handicapped." Does that mean other kids around him at the time turned out to be more successful?

Last edited:

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Oh, and Tyler Seguin has 57 points in 58 games. Now I've never been that good at math but...

Also Raymond, Franson and Kulemin have combined for 80 points this year which happens to match Crosby's output. Sounds like a fair trade to me eh "Disgruntled Observer"?

Disgruntled Observer*

I'd love to hear you do a proper, non-biased comparison for a change. You conveniently select your arguments and neglect to mention points that actually matters.

Also, your whole argument of

really doesn't fly. That is not quantitative evidence, that is speculative.

The argument that Seguin became a ppg player sooner than Kessel does not imply that Seguin is a better player than Kessel. Albert Einstein didn't speak until age four and didn't read until age seven. His teachers labeled him "slow" and "mentally handicapped." Does that mean other kids around him at the time turned out to be more successful?

But the Seguin/Hamilton tandem (who are almost teen-agers) CURRENTLY have more points than Kessel (who is well into his prime and is having a career year).

It's not exactly a "far fetched" argument to suggest that the 22 and 20 year old players will continue to improve. And it's pretty safe to say that this is likely as good as Kessel gets.
But you're right... nobody can predict the future.
But if I were a betting man...

Disgruntled Observer*

Oh, and Tyler Seguin has 57 points in 58 games. Now I've never been that good at math but...

Also Raymond, Franson and Kulemin have combined for 80 points this year which happens to match Crosby's output. Sounds like a fair trade to me eh "Disgruntled Observer"?

Are you saying that, even though Kessel was traded for what turned into TWO nhl players, I can only compare him to ONE?

How in any way is that a rational argument?

Following you INSANE logic, Kessel could have been traded for 10 ppg players, and we still "won" because Kessel currently has a few more points than any of them.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Are you saying that, even though Kessel was traded for what turned into TWO nhl players, I can only compare him to ONE?

How in any way is that a rational argument?

Following you INSANE logic, Kessel could have been traded for 10 ppg players, and we still "won" because Kessel currently has a few more points than any of them.

Comparing who won the trade based on your argument of point production is not rational.

Irrational is also saying that the Kessel's deal is worse than the one for the Rask. When we have nothing to show for Rask and The Player we got for Seguin/Hamilton was just named best forward among the best players in the world at the Olympics.

Also, why can't Kessel get better? He's better than he was last year.

Also Kessel was a ppg playoff performer when he was a teen.

and has 21 points in 22 playoff games career

Seguin 18 points in 42 playoff games career.

Last edited:

Disgruntled Observer*

Comparing who won the trade based on your argument of point production is not rational.

Irrational is also saying that the Kessel's deal is worse than the one for the Rask. When we have nothing to show for Rask and The Player we got for Seguin/Hamilton was just named best forward among the best players in the world at the Olympics.

Also, why can't Kessel get better? He's better than he was last year.

Well... we currently have TWO contenders for starting goaltenders... and are STILL desperately searching for the bona fide #1 center.
So the Kessel apocalypse is worse.

And I didn't use a superlative and claim that Kessel won't get better.
I specifically said this is likely as good as he gets (which is still, admittedly, pretty damn good). I mean... it's his 9th nhl season. VERY few players continue to improve past their 9th year. (I'm well aware that there are a few excpections rather than rules, so don't bother pointing them out to me.)
It's simply MUCH more likely that the 22 and 20 year old players will show strong improvement, not the guy going into year 10.
And they currently ALREADY have more combined points than him.
How is that even arguable?

And is it still your argument that I can only compare Kessel to ONE of the players that he was traded for? How is that fair? WE TRADED HIM FOR TWO PLAYERS!!! WHY CAN I ONLY COMPARE HIM TO ONE????
WHHHHYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

gosuscores

Apr 29, 2010
But the Seguin/Hamilton tandem (who are almost teen-agers) CURRENTLY have more points than Kessel (who is well into his prime and is having a career year).

It's not exactly a "far fetched" argument to suggest that the 22 and 20 year old players will continue to improve. And it's pretty safe to say that this is likely as good as Kessel gets.
But you're right... nobody can predict the future.
But if I were a betting man...

Wait what? What are you talking about?

Kessel is second in points with 69, Seguin is 17th with 57 and Hamilton is who knows what rank with 15 points...

OH wait... Do you mean Seguin + Hamilton in points is higher than Kessel? I hope you really don't mean that because that's not how statistic works my friend... By your logic, Tyler Bozak + Mason Raymond + Paul Ranger must be equal to Sidney Crosby with 80 points. Three current NHL players vs one, as per your argument.

I really hope for your sake that that's not what you mean.. You would have otherwise succeeded in leaving me at a lost for words. And that doesn't happen often. And not to mention, put any of your future arguments on very very shaky grounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad