Top 5 worst Leafs trades since 2000

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Raihan Husain
2/27/2014
With the trade deadline around the corner, I’ll be looking back at some of the worst Leafs tradesin an effort to give a satirical take on certain moves made by the organization.
General managers always admit they get ahead of themselves at times like the TV gimmick that is the trade deadline, so proceeding with caution is recommended!
Before I talk too much, here are the top five worst Maple Leafs trades in the 2000s.
(p.s. no Phil Kessel trade):

http://wewantacup.com/headlines/2232-top-5-worst-leafs-trades-since-2000

raycroft-andrew080627.jpg

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Another little detail about the Toskala deal: San Jose used the Leafs first pick (Eller) as the major element in a draft day move up to get the draft pick that became Logan Couture.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Another little detail about the Toskala deal: San Jose used the Leafs first pick (Eller) as the major element in a draft day move up to get the draft pick that became Logan Couture.

I thought that became Lars Eller?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Nice that the bottom couple aren't actually bad.

I think Steen's trade is now worse than the Toskala trade especially with how he's started to pick up. Do agree the Rask trade remains at the top of stupid. Gave up on the wrong goalie, that's for sure.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The Nolan trade looks better with time. Stuart was OK I guess but the other pieces were pretty meh (outside of Boyes career year). I'd swap it out for the McCabe or Kubina trades which netted us nothing.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
The Rask trade was the fault of advanced statistics. Ferguson was a fan of advanced stats and figured our Corsi dominance at the time was only being held back by goaltending so he rushed two moves to try and put NHL quality goaltending behind this shootingest of shot attempting shooting teams.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Nice that the bottom couple aren't actually bad.

I think Steen's trade is now worse than the Toskala trade especially with how he's started to pick up. Do agree the Rask trade remains at the top of stupid. Gave up on the wrong goalie, that's for sure.

The Rask trade was the epitome of epic stupidity.

There were no reasons whatsoever to make that trade at the time. There were free agent options that were just as good as Raycroft and the Bruins had a glut at goal and were probably going to let Raycroft walk as a free agent a few weeks later.

The Steen trade was just a tad worse than the Rask trade. The Leafs were a rebuilding with an interim GM in place. They should have been hoarding young assets instead of trading them (remember it was Steen and Colaivaccio, both good prospects, that went the other way) for mediocre veterans. The Steen trade called into the question the entire organization's ability to properly value players. There was simply no way Lee Stempniak was ever going to remotely offer a value similar to what the team was giving up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

There were no reasons whatsoever to make that trade at the time. There were free agent options that were just as good as Raycroft and the Bruins had a glut at goal and were probably going to let Raycroft walk as a free agent a few weeks later.

The Steen trade was just a tad worse than the Rask trade. The Leafs were a rebuilding with an interim GM in place. They should have been hoarding young assets instead of trading them (remember it was Steen and Colaivaccio, both good prospects, that went the other way) for mediocre veterans. The Steen trade called into the question the entire organization's ability to properly value players. There was simply no way Lee Stempniak was ever going to remotely offer a value similar to what the team was giving up.

He should never have been allowed to trade Steen. After signing Finger it was pretty clear the game had long passed Fletcher by.

I know some loved the Rask trade and the promise of "Razor sharp" goaltending that was sure to follow but that too was short sighted.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

IIRC Stempniak was only maybe 1 year older than Steen and Cola, so it wasn't necessarily an example of spending youth for veterans, but I do agree that this was the stupidest trade in recent memory regardless. At the time of this trade I wouldn't have traded either of them, let alone both for Stempniak.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
IIRC Stempniak was only maybe 1 year older than Steen and Cola, so it wasn't necessarily an example of spending youth for veterans, but I do agree that this was the stupidest trade in recent memory regardless. At the time of this trade I wouldn't have traded either of them, let alone both for Stempniak.

True. I shouldn't have used the word veteran. Stempniak was a young winger, but the Leafs gave up a young winter/centre and young puck moving D-man. Stempniak may not have been an older player, but the trade still made no sense for the Leafs. There was zero reason to do it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Nolan trade looks better with time. Stuart was OK I guess but the other pieces were pretty meh (outside of Boyes career year). I'd swap it out for the McCabe or Kubina trades which netted us nothing.

I would never base the Nolan trade entirely on who the other team selected as in Stuart.

If the Leafs were actually picking they could have taken Corey Perry or Mike Richards or Shea Weber or Ryan Kesler etc etc . Anyone left on the board at that time was an opportunity lost by trading away a draft pick.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I would never base the Nolan trade entirely on who the other team selected as in Stuart.

If the Leafs were actually picking they could have taken Corey Perry or Mike Richards or Shea Weber or Ryan Kesler etc etc . Anyone left on the board at that time was an opportunity lost by trading away a draft pick.

In hindsight the Nolan trade was terrible. But at the time everybody was pumped up and celebrating. Nolan was on the front page of the papers when he arrived and the general consensus at the time was that the Leafs were adding an impact power forward that signaled they were "going for it."

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
A very original topic choice.

Last two aren't even bad, at the time, both were fine (Tlusty) to good (Nolan) trades. I was pumped when Nolan came here.

Fletcher should have never been named the interim GM, that was just idiotic. The main thing that bugged me, is that we wouldn't package Steen with Kaberle to get Chris Pronger, but hey, Lee Stempniak, can't pass that up! All I will say on that trade.

Raycroft trade was pretty good at the time. Everyone was on the Pogge train, and no one really cared about Rask, we traded him for a Calder Winning Goalie, and if you look at the other goalies who won that, pretty impressive list. Obviously a terrible deal.

Toskala, again, wasn't a bad deal at the time. He had great numbers with San Jose, but then he did dick all here.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
What about the trade of the 1st round pick that drafted Couture?

Edit* That was the Lars Eller pick that was retraded my bad.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
We never had that pick. We traded our first rounder to San Jose for Toskala, who soon after traded it to move up. THEN they took Couture.

Yeah I looked it up right after posting haha, shame we couldn't have made that same trade and skipped Toskala.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad