American Hustle

Like/Guilty Pleasure?

The Rocketeer
Little Big League
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
Don't Tell Mom the Baby Sitter's Dead
Far and Away

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I hate but some poor souls love

Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
El Topo
Requiem for a Dream
Shawshack Redemption

I like but some misguided gerbils hate

The English Patient
Munich
Antichrist
A Good Year
The Image Book

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
No Country for Old Men.

Boring as shit movie. Absolutely robbed There Will Be Blood.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
For the underrated part, I am trying to think of movies people truly don't seem to like as opposed to something that is more just underseen -- Under the Skin, for instance, is widely loved by those who have seen it, just not widely known. So I don't want to say things like that.

Walk Hard
MacGruber

Silence (Scorsese from a few years ago...)
Intolerable Cruelty (widely derided Coen bros comedy)
Down With Love
Baz Luhrmann's Australia
A Good Year (Ridley Scott/Russell Crowe wine movie)

Yes. Love all the bolded. Haven't seen the others, but they're definitely more on the priority radar now (i.e. maybe get to them within the next five years :laugh:). Especially IC, since I love a well-executed rom-com.

Cool story bro: Jorma Taccone was in town this winter since his wife was filming something, and a local theater that plays mostly classic (as in just non-current) movies did a one-night only screening of MacGruber with a Q & A afterwards. Great time. I noticed during the "special thanks" in the credits they list "The Boner Ghost," so I asked what that was all about, and he said during random nights while filming Will Forte would just go into other people's rooms while wearing a sheet and say, "Oooooooo, I'm the boner ghost.... your dick is hard!" or something akin to that. I thought that seemed about right.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I thought There Will Be Blood was a good film as well, but I think No Country blows it out the water. I find PTA a little overrated, personally. I think he's good but some people think he's the best thing since sliced bread. That's a little much, IMO. He gets some good performances out of his casts though. I remeber liking the hell out of Hard Eight.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Hate But are Loved

Inception
Clockwork Orange
Dunkirk
Daniel Craig's Bond
Avengers movies

Criminally Underrated

The Burbs(one of Hank's best)
Citizen X
Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man
Once Upon a Time in America(never gets mention in best gangster movies)
Made(better than Swingers)

Reactions: Babe Ruth

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Yes. Love all the bolded. Haven't seen the others, but they're definitely more on the priority radar now (i.e. maybe get to them within the next five years :laugh:). Especially IC, since I love a well-executed rom-com.

Cool story bro: Jorma Taccone was in town this winter since his wife was filming something, and a local theater that plays mostly classic (as in just non-current) movies did a one-night only screening of MacGruber with a Q & A afterwards. Great time. I noticed during the "special thanks" in the credits they list "The ***** Ghost," so I asked what that was all about, and he said during random nights while filming Will Forte would just go into other people's rooms while wearing a sheet and say, "Oooooooo, I'm the ***** ghost.... your dick is hard!" or something akin to that. I thought that seemed about right.

I've adored MacGruber since the first time I saw it. I think people ignored it thinking it'd be another half-assed SNL movie, but it's much more clever than that. Pretty good send up of a certain style of action. I love the decision to make MacGruber a clearly awful human being despite him being the nominal hero. There are multiple jokes in that movie that absolutely slay me to this day -- him begging Ryan Phillippe, the montage with his original team, his backstory with the villain, the graveyard scene.

It's nice to hear that it's still out there in circulation in some way. Culty comedies have a slow build sometime. It took a few years for Step Brothers and Anchorman to build. Wet Hot American Summer took 10+ years. Hot Rod has its dedicated fans (I love it too, but didn't include it because I think it's more underseen than underrated compared with MacGruber which is mostly disliked by people I know who have seen it). I already mentioned Walk Hard, but even it seems to have gotten a recent bump -- I saw it used as a mocking counterpoint to Bohemian Rhapsody a few times in reviews.

But MacGruber, damn. Still deserves better. I'll be waiting here when the rest of the world finally catches up.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
El Topo
Requiem for a Dream
Shawshack Redemption

The English Patient
Munich
Antichrist
A Good Year
The Image Book

You might be the only other person I know who likes A Good Year. It's a lovely, charming movie that's even more interesting because it comes from two men who are never part of "lovely, charming" fare (Ridley Scott, Russell Crowe). It's also where I fell in love with Marion Cotillard.

Reactions: kihei

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
El Topo
Requiem for a Dream
Shawshack Redemption

The English Patient
Munich
Antichrist
A Good Year
The Image Book
Shawshack Redemption is getting a LOT of hate in this thread. I'd say I need to watch it again, but the truth is, I've seen it 20 times and I still love it. :help:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Shape Of Water
The Wolf Of Wall Street
The Princess Bride
Avengers: Infinity War
Back To The Future

Eyes Wide Shut
The Neon Demon
Izzy Gets The f*** Across Town
The Hunger
Enter The Void

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Movies that I feel get far too much praise (I don't really hate any movies)

Fight Club (even more than just people calling it a GOAT movie, I am profoundly annoyed when people call it deep and nuanced. It has about as much nuance as a hammer on a nail)

Gravity (it's visually very well done and has a good score, but people treat Gravity like it's some transcendental masterpiece. It's a survival based action movie with superior visual effects. Good movie but I really think it's cinematic value is massively overstated)

Pulp Fiction (and I'm a Tarantino fan. I just don't think it's brilliant for popularizing non linear narrative story telling. It has some good performances but ultimately I feel it's a rather shallow plot.)

American Beauty (sure it reaches its desired effect of unnerving the viewer and it has some good filmmaking devices throughout but I really never understood what makes this movie supposedly so special)

A Clockwork Orange (Having read the book before I watched the film I'm baffled at why this movie gets any praise. Especially by Kubrick's standards it's just an average adaptation of a good novel. I don't think there's anything special about it)

Avatar (I truly don't understand how there are still people out there who think this movie is among the greats. Separate revolutionary visuals and you have an absolute turd of a movie with the most hamfisted social commentary ever)

Movies I greatly enjoy but others ignore (quality isn't really gonna be important.)

Whiplash (feels kinda forgotten at this point but I think it was honestly very good)

Space balls (underrated as what is in my mind one of the best parodies of all time)

Blade Runner 2049 (I know some loved it but I feel the run time turned a lot of people off and I think that's a shame. I really enjoy every rewatch)

Solo: A Star Wars Story (bad box office and the fact that it really didn't need to be made doesn't really change that it was better than I ever expected and a fun ride of a movie.)

This was harder.

I don't get how Seth Rogen movies are popular. They aren't funny. Most times, they are rehashed stoner crap.

It has to end some day. Everything does. I just wish it was soon.

Take that back. Superbad is a classic. Also 50/50 was a very...decent movie.
Agreed on Spielberg. Despite immense talent, he kind of ruins virtually every movie he makes by including unnecessary manipulative crowd-pleasing sentimental schlock in there, often even doing everything right up until he decides to suddenly shoe-horn it into the very end.

Virtually everything James Cameron does is similarly mired by a few crucial flaws that he's almost always guilty of and that kind of ruins otherwise potentially impressive movies. I'm mostly okay with the Terminator movies, but the man cannot seem to speak in anything but cliches, stereotypes, and caricatures that are so blatantly obnoxious that you cannot ignore them if you tried. It frustrates me to no end that so many people think that "Aliens" is a comparable or better movie than Ridley Scott's "Alien" because of this. The way he parades that little girl around to gain the audiences sympathies/engagement was a shameless hack decision, IMO, and he seems to consistently pull that kind of **** in every movie without getting called out for it.

I think in some movies it works. So I wouldn't say every movie he makes. But my god was this cringeworthy in Bridge of Spies. It got on my nerves so much. Hanks' lines seemed hand crafted for the hero glorification the movie was going for.

Why does Clockwork Orange repulse you? The book kind of sucks, but the movie's fantastic. Killer soundtrack too.
Strongly disagree.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think in some movies it works. So I wouldn't say every movie he makes. But my god was this cringeworthy in Bridge of Spies. It got on my nerves so much. Hanks' lines seemed hand crafted for the hero glorification the movie was going for.
Speaking of Hanks, he's like the actor equivalent of that, only worst. He's a talented and charismatic guy, but he seems to have an inclination to exclusively gravitate towards obnoxious movies of that ilk.

Reactions: kihei

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
And speaking of Ridley Scott, I'm kicking myself for not mentioning this one earlier:

The Counselor.

You liked it? I'm a sucker for anything McCarthy but I thought the movie was boring as hell. In the same vein, I'd encourage anyone to have a look at this HBO movie called The Sunset Limited. It's got a bonkers performance by Samuel L. Jackson.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Forgot The Nice Guys as one of my faves that's largely been forgotten.

Gosling's kid in the movie is the only real flaw (childhood innocence morality cheeseball stuff) I see with what is otherwise a terrific buddy cop movie.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
But MacGruber, damn. Still deserves better. I'll be waiting here when the rest of the world finally catches up.

Yeah, so many bits in that movie hit. Even the over-the-top obvious product placement send-up of Moulson's gets me. You can tell that crew grew up on cheesy 80s movies. Hot Rod, which I also love, shares some DNA with the 80s bmx classic RAD, which I've also seen countless times.

Jorma Taccone said they're trying to get a MacGruber TV vehicle up and running. Part of me just wants the movie to exist as the perfect stand-alone entity it is, and the other part wants as much MacGruber as possible. Although, if it were to happen, my expectations would probably be somewhere around the Wet Hot American Summer Netflix seasons, that being, inessential but entertaining in its own right.

Oh, and regarding Walk Hard, I saw a tweet (don't remember from whom) about it saying something along the lines of "70% of all bad movies are bad because the director never saw 'Walk Hard,'" and at first I was like, that seems a bit of an exaggeration, but then I thought, well, actually.....

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Forgot The Nice Guys as one of my faves that's largely been forgotten.

Gosling's kid in the movie is the only real flaw (childhood innocence morality cheeseball stuff) I see with what is otherwise a terrific buddy cop movie.

Still impressed Gosling's performance in that movie is as good as it was. Who knew he had that in him. He and Crowe had great chemistry.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
You liked it? I'm a sucker for anything McCarthy but I thought the movie was boring as hell. In the same vein, I'd encourage anyone to have a look at this HBO movie called The Sunset Limited. It's got a bonkers performance by Samuel L. Jackson.

Liked it? Man, I LOVED it.
It's a nasty, twisty, amoral bit of storytelling and the cast is so into it. I'm still shocked they assembled that group to do that movie and they released it. I'm sure someone lost a job somewhere along the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad