Movies: Top 5 Movies I HATE(!) But Others Love / I LOVE(!) But Others Ignore

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm sure this has been done before but...

Top 5 Movies I HATE But Others Love...

A Few Good Men
BlackKKlansmen
Dead Poets Society
Silence Of The Lambs
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Honourable Mention :

Anything with Seth Rogan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Schindler's List

********************************************************************************

Top 5 Movies I LOVE But Others Ignore...

North Dallas Forty
Heist (2001)
Manhunter
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
Unbreakable

Honourable Mention :

And The Band Played On
Something Wild
The Thing (2011)

Reactions: plank

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
I Hate:

Django Unchained
Unforgiven
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Descendants
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I Love:

Where the Buffalo Roam
Rancho Deluxe
Ballad of Cable Hogue
Lonely are the Brave
Midway

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's hard to do this off the top of your head without having some master list of what people love and hate. I'm going to miss a ton that I'll remember later on.

Movies I think are trash and that aggressively annoys me to even think about but some people seem to love:
Forrest Gump
Shawshank Redemption
Hacksaw Ridge
5 cm Per Second (or pretty much anything Makoto Shinkai has done that is praised-- the suggestion that he's the successor to Miyazaki makes me want to vomit)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
Pain and Gain
(there are tons more that just haven't popped into my head yet)

Pretty much any of that "heavy-handed bull-**** Hollywood sentimentality tripe that's supposed to inspire you even though it's kind of total nonsense" stuff that Tom Hanks seems to gravitate towards consistently draws the most ire from me out of all the types of movies out there.

Consistently Praised movies that I don't necessarily hate but think are kind of bad:
Gravity
The Big Short
Hell or High Water
The Wolf of Wall Street
American Hustle
La La Land
American Beauty

Movies people seem to find overrated that I love and are misunderstood:
Ponyo?

.. and.... ehh.. I don't know. There aren't too many. Pretty much everything I like is already pretty well established/appreciated by the kinds of people who tend to see them. I've never heard/expected that something will be mediocre and then ended up thinking it was brilliant or anything like that.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's hard to do this off the top of your head without having some master list of what people love and hate. I'm going to miss a ton that I'll remember later on.

Movies I think are trash and that aggressively annoys me to even think about but some people seem to love:
Forrest Gump
Shawshank Redemption
Hacksaw Ridge
5 cm Per Second (or pretty much anything Makoto Shinkai has done that is praised-- the suggestion that he's the successor to Miyazaki makes me want to vomit)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
(there are tons more that just haven't popped into my head yet)

Pretty much any of that "heavy-handed bull-**** Hollywood sentimentality tripe that's supposed to inspire you even though it's kind of total nonsense" stuff that Tom Hanks seems to gravitate towards consistently draws the most ire from me out of all the types of movies out there.

Consistently Praised movies that I don't necessarily hate but think are kind of bad:
Gravity
The Big Short
Hell or High Water
The Wolf of Wall Street
American Hustle
La La Land
American Beauty

Movies that I love and think are misunderstood that people seem to find overrated:
Ponyo?

.. and.... ehh.. I don't know. There aren't too many. Pretty much everything I like is already pretty well established/appreciated by the kinds of people who tend to see them. I've never heard/expected that something will be mediocre and then ended up thinking it was brilliant or anything like that.
I don't have a problem with your list - minus Shawshank Redemption. Why do you hate it so?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Hate is strong, but here are a few I am certainly dramatically out of step on with the masses. Oscars are on my mind so this leans heavy on that ...

A Star is Born
Atonement
The Artist
The Revenant
The Blind Side
Won't You Be My Neighbor
Babel

For the underrated part, I am trying to think of movies people truly don't seem to like as opposed to something that is more just underseen -- Under the Skin, for instance, is widely loved by those who have seen it, just not widely known. So I don't want to say things like that.

Walk Hard
MacGruber
Silence (Scorsese from a few years ago...)
Intolerable Cruelty (widely derided Coen bros comedy)
Down With Love
Baz Luhrmann's Australia
A Good Year (Ridley Scott/Russell Crowe wine movie)

I will probably think of more...

I definitely don't hate Tarantino's post Kill Bill movies. But I have way more issues with them than most seem to have. He's still been good but he hasn't been great in a long time.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't have a problem with your list - minus Shawshank Redemption. Why do you hate it so?
It's this excessively heavy-handed thing that's jam packed with cheap cliches/storytelling gimmicks, thematically is structured like the argument of a bad church sermon, every single moment is laughably manipulative/cheesy as hell and lays it on about as thick as anything I've seen, as if it thinks it's the most important thing in the world.

I'd highlight this particularly laughable scene where this stereotypical devil-may-care punk looking bad-*** kid in a leather jacket and sunglasses (?) struts into the movie all "Yeah! **** the system!" who five minutes later after an exchange with the Christ-like Andy is all "Aww gee shucks, Andy! I'm so misunderstood! I don't read so good! Teach me to READ, Andy!" It plays like a outright comedic parody of itself. Pretty much everything in the movie is like that, in one form or another. It has no self awareness and takes all of this completely seriously in a painfully self-righteous way. And people somehow eat that sh** right up!

It's not quite as insultingly wrong-headed in sentiment as Forrest Gump, but just thinking about it makes me wanna gag. There's honestly nothing I hate more in art/entertainment in general than this style of audience engagement/storytelling, even when it's produced to a high technical standard. There are other similar movies I hate just as much, but of the things that are beloved and widely embraced, Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption are my pick for worst offenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: GB and Amerika

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's this excessively heavy-handed thing that's jam packed with cheap cliches/storytelling gimmicks, thematically is structured like the argument of a bad church sermon, every single moment is laughably manipulative/cheesy as hell and lays it on about as thick as anything I've seen, as if it thinks it's the most important thing in the world.

I'd highlight this particularly laughable scene where this stereotypical devil-may-care punk looking bad-*** kid in a leather jacket and sunglasses (?) struts into the movie all "Yeah! **** the system!" who five minutes later after an exchange with the Christ-like Andy is all "Aww gee shucks, Andy! I'm so misunderstood! I don't read so good! Teach me to READ, Andy!" It plays like a outright comedic parody of itself. Pretty much everything in the movie is like that, in one form or another. It has no self awareness and takes all of this completely seriously in a painfully self-righteous way.

It's not quite as insultingly wrong-headed in sentiment as Forrest Gump, but just thinking about it makes me wanna gag. There's honestly nothing I hate more in art/entertainment in general than this style of audience engagement, even when it's produced to a high technical standard. There are other similar movies I hate just as much, but of the things that are beloved and widely embraced, Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption are my top 2 most despised.
Fair enough.

While I disagree with you on S.R., I am in full agreement over Forest Gump - which is awful. Forest Gump panders to its audience like few films.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Hate is strong, but here are a few I am certainly dramatically out of step on with the masses. Oscars are on my mind so this leans heavy on that ...

A Star is Born
Atonement
The Artist
The Revenant
The Blind Side
Won't You Be My Neighbor
Babel

For the underrated part, I am trying to think of movies people truly don't seem to like as opposed to something that is more just underseen -- Under the Skin, for instance, is widely loved by those who have seen it, just not widely known. So I don't want to say things like that.

Walk Hard
MacGruber
Silence (Scorsese from a few years ago...)
Intolerable Cruelty (widely derided Coen bros comedy)
Down With Love
Baz Luhrmann's Australia
A Good Year (Ridley Scott/Russell Crowe wine movie)

I will probably think of more...

I definitely don't hate Tarantino's post Kill Bill movies. But I have way more issues with them than most seem to have. He's still been good but he hasn't been great in a long time.
The Revenant is truly overrated.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I can get behind the Walk Hard pick. While I think there's a ceiling to how good a movie like that can be, it's easily the most amusing and admirable of the whole slew of what you would normally expect to be awful Seth Rogen-like movies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I can get behind the Walk Hard pick. While I think there's a ceiling to how good a movie like that can be, it's easily the most amusing and admirable of the whole slew of what you would normally expect to be awful Seth Rogen-like movies.
I don't get how Seth Rogen movies are popular. They aren't funny. Most times, they are rehashed stoner crap.

It has to end some day. Everything does. I just wish it was soon.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't get how Seth Rogen movies are popular. They aren't funny. Most times, they are rehashed stoner crap.

It has to end some day. Everything does. I just wish it was soon.
I mean, I sort of get it. I was into that stuff as a dumb teenager. But it is indeed bad, and getting worse, IMO (the Superbad/Knocked Up/40 Year Old Virgin era of Rogen wasn't the worst thing in the world compared to what they're doing now).

The thing that frustrates me most about it is how great all of those guys involved were in Freaks and Geeks, by comparison. Franco, Short, Segel, and (arguably) Rogen were all incredible performers on that. Even Undeclared was somewhat charming. They were likeable guys until Rogen started becoming more and more of a creative voice/personality.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

Ooooh which reminds me...

I flat out don't like Knocked Up and while Superbad has its moments I am not wild about it.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
They're bad, but I don't think they're quite as bad as stuff like This is the End, The Interview, and Sausage Party, personally.

Fair point.

I do genuinely like 40 Year Old Virgin and Pineapple Express. But your post reminded me how much I hated Knocked Up. Easily could have made my initial list.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I mean, I sort of get it. I was into that stuff as a dumb teenager. But it is indeed bad, and getting worse, IMO (the Superbad/Knocked Up/40 Year Old Virgin era of Rogen wasn't the worst thing in the world compared to what they're doing now).

The thing that frustrates me most about it is how great all of those guys involved were in Freaks and Geeks, by comparison. Franco, Short, Segel, and (arguably) Rogen were all incredible performers on that. Even Undeclared was somewhat charming. They were likeable guys until Rogen started becoming more and more of a creative voice/personality.
TBH, I REALLY enjoyed the movie about the end of the world - I think it is called This Is The End.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I admire the skill with which it was made, but The Clockwork Orange repulses me. I think Kubrick was a right winger. His daughter is.

But I really love 2001 and The Shining.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Well, I guess I'm in the minority where I still like Superbad and Pineapple Express (although it has a couple of awful moments). I liked Knocked Up too. Rogen is terrible now. This is the End was good too when it's just them hanging out in the house. When Danny McBride gets kicked out of the house is when it starts getting pretty damn bad. Him and Franco made that movie.

" This motherf***er's gained weight since he got here! And he's wearing my tuxedo! "

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I'd highlight this particularly laughable scene where this stereotypical devil-may-care punk looking bad-*** kid in a leather jacket and sunglasses (?) struts into the movie all "Yeah! **** the system!" who five minutes later after an exchange with the Christ-like Andy is all "Aww gee shucks, Andy! I'm so misunderstood! I don't read so good! Teach me to READ, Andy!" It plays like a outright comedic parody of itself. Pretty much everything in the movie is like that, in one form or another. It has no self awareness and takes all of this completely seriously in a painfully self-righteous way.

It's not quite as insultingly wrong-headed in sentiment as Forrest Gump, but just thinking about it makes me wanna gag. There's honestly nothing I hate more in art/entertainment in general than this style of audience engagement/storytelling, even when it's produced to a high technical standard. There are other similar movies I hate just as much, but of the things that are beloved and widely embraced, Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption are my pick for worst offenders.

Thank you so f***ing deeply.

Reactions: GB

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I admire the skill with which it was made, but The Clockwork Orange repulses me. I think Kubrick was a right winger. His daughter is.

But I really love 2001 and The Shining.

Why does Clockwork Orange repulse you? The book kind of sucks, but the movie's fantastic. Killer soundtrack too.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not a single movie, but I've always felt Spielberg was a piece of shit director. Christ, he sucks. Schlocky garbage that's always trying to push stupidity on its viewer under a layer of contrived humanity, which ironically, makes it incredibly manipulative and cynical. Although Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List was a superb performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad