Speculation: Top 5 Goons in NHL History

Jul 12, 2007
Also to remind us to distinguish between goons, principled enforcers, pests, and decent hockey players who could fight well. 4 different lists. Somebody should do all 4 !
Goon list should start with Durbano and Gaetz. Even if they were both prospects at some point... they ended up insane goons.
And no reason to dislike them lol. Thank em for all the wild entertainment.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
John Ferguson, no question.

Runner up for the Calder, twice an All Star, 5 Stanley Cups and at least 100 minutes of penalties each season he played. The guy was a force on the ice like no other. Although he was only 190lbs, he could score, make plays, fight and opposing players ( and many team mates) were terrified of him. Jean Beliveau called Ferguson "the most formidable player of the decade and possibly in the Canadiens' history"

No one else comes close except perhaps Nilan and Probert. They weren't Ferguson however.

Last edited:

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
5 goons with no skill Paul Higgins Toronto,John Kordic,Gary Rissling, Steve Martinson.Dave Morrisete.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I think there needs to a definate definition for what constitutes a "goon". To me, a goon is a guy who WOULDN'T be in the league at all if except for his fighting ability. The term "goon" is demeaning and shouldn't be applied to anyone who can play the enforcer role but is ALSO a good, or even average, NHL player. In example, to call John Ferguson a goon would be an insult to his memory - John Scott, however, was obviously a goon and should be described as such.

There would be a gray area involving some enforcer types who were borderline in their skills, guys we could not be SURE would have been in the league otherwise, but players like Ferguson or O'Reilly or Gillies were definately NOT goons, IMO.

goon
[ɡo͞on]
NOUN
informal
  1. a silly, foolish, or eccentric person.
    synonyms:
    idiot · ass · halfwit · nincompoop · blockhead · buffoon · dunce · dolt ·
    [more]
  2. NORTH AMERICAN
    a bully or thug, especially one hired to terrorize or do away with opposition.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Runner up for the Calder, twice an All Star, 5 Stanley Cups and at least 100 minutes of penalties each season he played. The guy was a force on the ice like no other. Although he was only 190lbs, he could score, make plays, fight and opposing players ( and many team mates) were terrified of him. Jean Beliveau called Ferguson "the most formidable player of the decade and possibly in the Canadiens' history"

No one else comes close except perhaps Nilan and Probert. They weren't Ferguson however.
I'd have to disagree on Probert. I've run into both off ice, and grew up watching Ferguson. Strong man for his time, with big fists. Excellent fighter...one of the best. Probert was much bigger, and was a fighting prodigy. Ferguson was mean on ice, but sane off of it. Probert was not. I'll take the bigger, crazy guy with nothing to lose. Probert is the best I've seen over a long stretch.

One oldtimer who doesn't get brought up much because he didn't fight unless he had to was Orland Kurtenbach. He was as tough as it got, but wasn't an enforcer the way Ferguson and Shack were.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Your last paragraph is one of the most mind boggling comments I've ever read. It's completely false as well.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I remember watching this game. Hull scored a hattrick on Osgood and the Blues start "gooning" it up at the end of the game. Robitaille of all people threw a huge elbow at Doug Weight. Can't quite read Kocur's lips though.

Kocur said a lot of things. The first one was "that was BS out there" when he points to the ice.

When somebody is yelling, it is harder to read what they are saying. The remarks to Q are harder to figure out.

clemmy

Apr 11, 2021
There should be a Goon advanced statistic. Something like:

PIM / Minutes Played

sparky88

Jun 18, 2021
Detriot
Check out “Tough Guy” the Bob Probert story free if you got Amazon Prime.
When they were trying to get him under control Colon Campbell challenged Probie to a boxing match......LOL..
Probert always had the best fights.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
He was an absolute madman. Wish he lasted longer in the big show.
Screw that. Someone who behaves like that isn't a real fighter. He's a loon. Imagine being the person in the car who he beat up for no real reason. Plenty of respectable fighters would know when to turn it off. If that's true about Gaetz, he's a disgrace and a loser.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Travis Moen had the worst hands I have ever seen. He made Boogard look like a magician with the puck. He was cringe-worthy.
He pretty much lived off of his 2006-07 season where in the playoffs he had 12 points in 21 games and 21 points in the regular season as part of the best shutdown line in the league that year.
He made life hard on guys like Zetterberg, Sedins, Heatley, Spezza, Aflredsson.

The Moen/Pahlsson/RobNiedermayer line was like this years Danault line that shutdown Vegas except that those 3 produced offensively in the playoffs while Danault had only like 4 points.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
He pretty much lived off of his 2006-07 season where in the playoffs he had 12 points in 21 games and 21 points in the regular season as part of the best shutdown line in the league that year.
He made life hard on guys like Zetterberg, Sedins, Heatley, Spezza, Aflredsson.

The Moen/Pahlsson/RobNiedermayer line was like this years Danault line that shutdown Vegas except that those 3 produced offensively in the playoffs while Danault had only like 4 points.
When I think of Moen I think of Ducks Cup 07… weird.

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
Weirdly the guy in charge of NHL safety.

Haha yeah weird, but when you think of it someone like Parros who been through more dangerous situations everyday of his career than most players that don't fight would really understand what is too dangerous to let continue in hockey and what is reasonable to let continue.

Better him than some ex ref that makes bad calls once in awhile a better him than someone like Barnaby who just like annoying others - Parros seems like one of the more honorable fighters in hockey, and even though any education better than none, the announcer did say he graduated or at least attended Princeton so executive jobs he'd be qualified for.

Reactions: AHockeyFanatic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad