Speculation: Top 5 Goons in NHL History

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Marty only played in the Finals once in '93? That'd be news to Marty and his two Cup rings from '87 & '88. I absolutely hate these kind of blog posts, trying to prove how clever they are with stats, but can't get basic facts right.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Link Gaetz, as noted by the Fiend makes sense.

As players who clearly lacked NHL skills, but were bad asses, I'll add:

-Val James (Being a Sabres fan I loved him)
-Dave Brown
-Donald Brashear
-Peter Worrell.

Maybe Gary Holt, Gary Rissling, Gilles Bilodeau, Jimmy Mann, Stu Grimson, and a few others..

Guys like Dale Hunter, Marty McSorley, Todd Bertuzzi, Dave Schultz, Tiger Williams, Scott Stevens, and Bob Probert all fall into a different category, because all could play. (Nasty, cheap, etc...)

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Link Gaetz; I believe that he was banned from the IHL and some southern pro league. That is straight out of Slap Shot!

The Grim Reaper, Stu Grimson.

Dale Hunter.

Dave Brown.

Dave Semenko.

Dave "Tiger" Williams. Nearly 4000 PIMs, a goon's goon!

Reactions: Dan Kelly

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
if by "goons" you mean heavyweight enforcers then:

John Ferguson sr.
Dave "The Hammer" Schultz
Clark Gillies(the very best!)
Bob Probert
Marty McSorely

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Top 10 from my generation

1.Bob Probert
2.Tony Twist
3.Ryan Vandebussche
4.Tie Domi
5.Marty McSorley
6.Dave Brown
7.Rob Ray
8.Joey Kocur
9.Stu Grimson
10.Georges Laraque

Honourable mentions

Chris Nilan
Raitis Ivanans
Stephen Peat

CameronNeely

May 11, 2019
Probie
Twist
Chris Simon
Steve McIntyre
Jeremy Yablonsky
Scott Parker
Dave Brown
Derek Boogaard
Georges Laraque
Brian McGrattan

Reactions: Gyfu

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Can't ever have Domi on a Goon lost ahead of Kocur considering he was scared sh*itless to drop with Kocur.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Can't ever have Domi on a Goon lost ahead of Kocur considering he was scared sh*itless to drop with Kocur.

To be fair, most probably were but wouldn't admit it. Brashear was the only one to ever admit, that I know of, that Kocur was the one he wasn't fond of. Said Kocur was the hardest puncher, even cracked his helmet once.

Reactions: Finster8

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj

-Dave Brown
-Donald Brashear
-Peter Worrell.

Maybe Gary Holt, Gary Rissling, Gilles Bilodeau, Jimmy Mann, Stu Grimson, and a few others..

Guys like Dale Hunter, Marty McSorley, Todd Bertuzzi, Dave Schultz, Tiger Williams, Scott Stevens, and Bob Probert all fall into a different category, because all could play. (Nasty, cheap, etc...)

If you can score 10+ goals in a season, then you have skills. Dave Brown had 10 & 12. Brasher had 205 career points.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
To be fair, most probably were but wouldn't admit it. Brashear was the only one to ever admit, that I know of, that Kocur was the one he wasn't fond of. Said Kocur was the hardest puncher, even cracked his helmet once.

My favorite hilarious representation of Kocur's reputation was the game where as an assistant coach for the Wings he Bobby Knight's a folding chair on the ice and the trio of Davidson, Clement and Thorne discuss his playing career.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
My favorite hilarious representation of Kocur's reputation was the game where as an assistant coach for the Wings he Bobby Knight's a folding chair on the ice and the trio of Davidson, Clement and Thorne discuss his playing career.

I remember watching this game. Hull scored a hattrick on Osgood and the Blues start "gooning" it up at the end of the game. Robitaille of all people threw a huge elbow at Doug Weight. Can't quite read Kocur's lips though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShelbyZ

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID

-Dave Brown
-Donald Brashear
-Peter Worrell.

Gaetz didn't get to play very long but he had Probert skills. He played both wing and defense at the NHL level, had a crazy big shot and could skate. If not for the car accident he would have had a much different legacy. He was a nut, but he could play.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
In no particular order and highest number of points in a season
Louie DeBrusk-51GP 10pts
Peter Worrell-71GP 10pts
Boogaard-65GP 6 pts
McKenzie-76GP 12pts
Orr-82GP 6 pts
Grimson-82GP 7pts
McGratton-76GP- 8 pts
Parros-72GP 10 pts
True goons who were their for one purpose fighting.
Edit- Bob Probert GP-74 G-29 A-33 Pt-62 PM-398 Playoffs GP-16 G-8 A-13 Pt-21 PM-51. Slight difference in offensive stats which is why Bob was the best.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Link Gaetz; I believe that he was banned from the IHL and some southern pro league. That is straight out of Slap Shot!
True story. Link Gaetz was arrested for first ramming his car into the car in front of him because the guy wasn't going fast enough for both cars to get through a gate, he got out of the car, beat the guy and then left with the car in the road, still running and walking to a party. When in jail, he called the coach to bail him out, the coach refused. Link came in for practice after being released, and tried to fight the coach, lucky for the coach, players restrained Gaetz. Link was suspended indefinitely by the league and I don't think ever played in the ECHL again.
During warm ups one time he skated down to the opposing teams side and pushed their goal down to our end. No one even looked at him. Honestly, he's the meanest hockey player I've ever seen.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
True story. Link Gaetz was arrested for first ramming his car into the car in front of him because the guy wasn't going fast enough for both cars to get through a gate, he got out of the car, beat the guy and then left with the car in the road, still running and walking to a party. When in jail, he called the coach to bail him out, the coach refused. Link came in for practice after being released, and tried to fight the coach, lucky for the coach, players restrained Gaetz. Link was suspended indefinitely by the league and I don't think ever played in the ECHL again.
During warm ups one time he skated down to the opposing teams side and pushed their goal down to our end. No one even looked at him. Honestly, he's the meanest hockey player I've ever seen.

He was an absolute madman. Wish he lasted longer in the big show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad