Value of: Top 4 Puck Moving DMan to MTL (Not Fowler)

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Is Russell going to be this years Cody Franson?

Rumoured to be wanting long term and bigger money, then signing a shorter term lower cap hit than what most thought?

He is a lefty, and many teams who are in need of a D probably need help on the right side. I kinda thought he would sign back with Calgary if they made a move or dumped Smid or Wideman

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
There isn't much out there.

Maybe you can sign Russell or make some kind of crazy Galchenyuk-based pitch for Giordano (since they have Brodie and Hamilton). Esa Lindell could be available but he's unproven and could end up as a third pairing guy.

Montreal is pretty much stuck going after Fowler or not addressing the problem. Or settling for a right handed guy or a top 4 guy who isn't a puckmover.

I would live to see Bergevin trade Chucky out west for Giordano and watch the fans riot outside the Bell Centre.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
There isn't much out there.

Maybe you can sign Russell or make some kind of crazy Galchenyuk-based pitch for Giordano (since they have Brodie and Hamilton). Esa Lindell could be available but he's unproven and could end up as a third pairing guy.

Montreal is pretty much stuck going after Fowler or not addressing the problem. Or settling for a right handed guy or a top 4 guy who isn't a puckmover.

I would live to see Bergevin trade Chucky out west for Giordano and watch the fans riot outside the Bell Centre.

Nate and Petry are both good pmd

Need an upgrade on emelin

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The longer it goes, the more likely those kind of players will have to accept 1-year deal though.

I don't think the Habs have what's needed to get a Fowler, not from Anaheim anyway. Their needs doesn't seem to fit what we have to give.

Believe me, I think you'll make a lot of friends from the Anaheim side saying this. We're getting used to seeing people throw crap deals at us for Fowler, and then insisting we should take it just because. It's refreshing to hear that it may just not work.

I'm not sure there are a ton of options out there, not obvious ones at least, but that's why GM's get paid big money.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Nate and Petry are both good pmd

Need an upgrade on emelin

Thing is...say you trade Emelin for (or in two separate deals) a LH puck-moving D...who do you play on the PK ? Do you play one of Petry/Pateryn on the left side ? I really wish we don't have to play Markov, those legs need all the rest we can give them.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Thing is...say you trade Emelin for (or in two separate deals) a LH puck-moving D...who do you play on the PK ? Do you play one of Petry/Pateryn on the left side ? I really wish we don't have to play Markov, those legs need all the rest we can give them.

You play whoever you get in theb trade as well as markov from time to time and beaulieu needs to get more responsability

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Believe me, I think you'll make a lot of friends from the Anaheim side saying this. We're getting used to seeing people throw crap deals at us for Fowler, and then insisting we should take it just because. It's refreshing to hear that it may just not work.

I'm not sure there are a ton of options out there, not obvious ones at least, but that's why GM's get paid big money.

Ahahah ! Key is: always ask what a team needs before suggesting any names. :)
Once I've been told Fowler would go for a top-6 (or very good top-9) forward as a base, I knew that would pretty much take us out of the game. :)

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
One must think Beaulieu would play with Weber. Beaulieu might surprises people this year and break out offensively.

As for Sergachev, he will not make the team this year, let alone play on the first pair.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
I'm impressed with all these non-Fowler options

Yeah the market is absolutely swimming with available young top 4 defenders. Fowler of course not worth asking price considering all the alternatives.

Larsson just costed Hall. Defenders are just really expensive you're not getting one for peanuts like MTL and leaf fans suggest

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah the market is absolutely swimming with available young top 4 defenders. Fowler of course not worth asking price considering all the alternatives.

Larsson just costed Hall. Defenders are just really expensive you're not getting one for peanuts like MTL and leaf fans suggest

Its worth noting that the OP did not ask for young top 4 defenders.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
I'm perfectly content going into the season with the d corps as it is. Not interested in signing someone like Russell under any circumstances, and it's just not worth it to trade for a top-4 guy unless he's being given away for some reason

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Granted, I haven't seen a lot of him in the past couple of seasons, but am I the only who would rather try a Dan Boyle on a cheap 1-year deal than a much more expensive (and probably longer terms) Kris Russell ?

(patiently waits for the storm) ;)

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I'm perfectly content going into the season with the d corps as it is. Not interested in signing someone like Russell under any circumstances, and it's just not worth it to trade for a top-4 guy unless he's being given away for some reason

Agreed. I did some research upon reading this thread and didn't find anything we could get that would be an upgrade on what we have. I'd like to see what Beaulieu and Barberio can do.

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
Why not Sergachev?
At 6.2 / 221 lbs he's physically nhl ready and it have been said that hes probably the most ready of all the d-men drafted this year

StartTheShow

Dec 29, 2013
Why not Sergachev?
At 6.2 / 221 lbs he's physically nhl ready and it have been said that hes probably the most ready of all the d-men drafted this year

Because the guy playing alongside Weber has to be able to play around 20 minutes a night for an 82 game season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad