Value of: Top 4 Puck Moving DMan to MTL (Not Fowler)

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
So MB is an idiot and got rid of our best puck moving dman. This is not one of Weber's strengths so we could use someone who is a good puck possession player that could slot in along side him. Markov and Emelin can't skate and Beaulieu might not be ready to take on those minutes.

Anyone that matches this description available?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
We (I at least) would be willing to settle for a short term solution until Beau and Sergachev are ready to take over on LD. This is assuming Emelin gets moved, if not we don't have room with Markov, Emelin, and Beaulieu.

Really wanted Campbell on Friday.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I'm just curious as to why not Fowler?
Has it been discussed in other threads?

EspaceCH

Jul 11, 2013
Canada
I'm pretty sure MB work to find another d on the Left side but with the addition of weber Don't be surprise if Sergachev crack the lineup at training camp.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
are they still high on him?

I would think so, he seemed to show some flashes last year. The addition of Shea Weber might just be what the doctor ordered for Beaulieu to take the next step.

I'm thinking something like this for next season, assuming Emelin is moved to make room for a puck mover:

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Puck Moving D-Man - Pateryn

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
are they still high on him?

I don't think he'll be a point producer, but he's a faster skater than Subban. He'll be 24 in December. He's signed cheap. This coming season may be make or break for him.

Re the Sergachev claims, I think it's pretty early to pencil him in. There's enough pressure playing in Montreal, expecting the 18 year old to jump in and play first pair - replacing Subban - is just too much imo.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I don't think he'll be a point producer, but he's a faster skater than Subban. He'll be 24 in December. He's signed cheap. This coming season may be make or break for him.

Re the Sergachev claims, I think it's pretty early to pencil him in. There's enough pressure playing in Montreal, expecting the 18 year old to jump in and play first pair - replacing Subban - is just too much imo.

Although I agree In a way.. Lately there have been more and more instances of young 18-19
Year old dmen playing in the NHL.. Look around the league and you'll see more and
More. Speed of the game etc evolving and the fact that we burned so many d in the AHL I don't think it would be such a bad idea.. 15-18 min a game in the NHL > 25 minutes in ahl

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would think so, he seemed to show some flashes last year. The addition of Shea Weber might just be what the doctor ordered for Beaulieu to take the next step.

I'm thinking something like this for next season, assuming Emelin is moved to make room for a puck mover:

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry

Beaulieu can definitely stand to benefit with Weber as a partner . When Habs traded for Sergei Gonchar three seasons ago, they paired him with Beaulieu and having the veteran helped with Beaulieu's progression.

The puck moving D with Pateryn on the third pairing in my vision is Mark Barberio.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry

Well, if you must play Beaulieu on the first pair, might as well give that third pair LD spot to Barberio.

But yeah, a puck moving D is need. I just hope it'll look something like this...

XXX - Weber
Beaulieu - Petry
Markov - Pateryn

Third pair's speed might be a problem, but I'd really like Beaulieu to get the 2nd pair icetime, and playing Markov on the third pair could do wonders for his 37-38 years old legs. :)

EDIT: At this point, could Dan Boyle play that role for a year ?

Last edited:

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Would think Edler could fit in nice on a pairing with S.Weber. Good old NTC and everyones fans stating they are unmoveable tho.

Not sure what Montreal has to offer though?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Russell would be good, but he is seeking the moon in a contract.
4x4 works, but he a is rumored to be looking for higher term, 5-7 yrs, and more money, 5+ per.

Fowler would be the preferred option, but as pointed out many times, does Mtl have what Anaheim needs. Young, expansion protected top 6 LW/C.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Russell would be good, but he is seeking the moon in a contract.
4x4 works, but he a is rumored to be looking for higher term, 5-7 yrs, and more money, 5+ per.

Fowler would be the preferred option, but as pointed out many times, does Mtl have what Anaheim needs?

The longer it goes, the more likely those kind of players will have to accept 1-year deal though.

I don't think the Habs have what's needed to get a Fowler, not from Anaheim anyway. Their needs doesn't seem to fit what we have to give.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Would think Edler could fit in nice on a pairing with S.Weber. Good old NTC and everyones fans stating they are unmoveable tho.

Not sure what Montreal has to offer though?

They're looking for a puck moving d-man, not Edler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad