Top 4 Overrated on Flyers

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
So I have a question, how are people determining who is overrated?? If you aren't going by stats are you going by salary or??

The amount of people saying Kimmo is crazy. Going by advanced stats he was a #1 dman (lower end #1). Going by normal stats he was 35th in scoring and a positive player. So basically if you are saying he is overrated he must either be crazy overrated and you think he is a stud #1 shutdown dman or you thought he wasn't very good by watching him every night and thought he screwed up quite a bit.

Anyway, the biggest overrated players are by far Andy Mac and Couts. How are people not going with MacDonald? His contract is awful and he is a 3rd pairing dman and he is going to be our 2nd highest paid D-man. The best he can do is not screw up, he had a ridiculous amount blocked shots because when he is on the ice you are going to get a shot off and you are going to get the puck deep in the zone. I love couts but his offensive skills and ability to get the puck deep and to his teammates are very poor. I fully expect him to get better at it and think he will be very dominant this season but this past year made me a little sad.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I love couts but his offensive skills and ability to get the puck deep and to his teammates are very poor. I fully expect him to get better at it and think he will be very dominant this season but this past year made me a little sad.

We've been down this road a million times. I don't want to rehash the same arguments that have been had already, but your opinion is incorrect. Get the puck deep? He pushes play forward at an astounding rate. His cycle game is getting really good. Of all people to complain about on this team, Couturier is a pretty poor choice.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Not sure about overrated, but I think Read and Simmonds are overvalued by Flyers fans. Personally I overvalue Luke Schenn given what his advanced stats say (although I swear by the eye test).

And I'll go with Kimmo. I'm sincerely happy he took a nice pay cut this year to stay, because he's far from the same and his foot speed becomes a detriment to him at least once per game.

Read
Simmonds
Kimmo
L. Schenn by myself :laugh:

How is Read overrated?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
How are people not going with MacDonald? His contract is awful and he is a 3rd pairing dman and he is going to be our 2nd highest paid D-man. The best he can do is not screw up, he had a ridiculous amount blocked shots because when he is on the ice you are going to get a shot off and you are going to get the puck deep in the zone.

I agree on what you say regarding the contract but he should not be considered a 3rd pairing defenseman playing 24:37 TOI/g. I know, stats are inflated because of how he was used by the Isles but even with reduced ice time numbers indicate him being the #2/#3 D as a Flyer.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
What's the context? Overrated on HF? Overrated by casual fans/fan base?

I'd say Simmonds is overrated considering people are picking him over Lucic in a thread on the main boards. Honestly that's about it. Couts and Read maybe get too much praise for being underrated?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd say posters who claim Read cannot be traded because he is too valuable to the Flyers roster are overrating him. Very good two-way forward with an excellent shot, but he wouldn't be among my untouchables.

My list of untouchables is very short; but I have Read on the fringe of untouchable because of his cap hit and the team's cap situation. He's very cap-efficient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad