Value of: Top 4 Mobile LHD to boston

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grezcelyk-Miller

Is it really a need? That defence looks very solid when healthy

I think we could use an upgrade on Krug, but the "need" isn't dire by any stretch. I'd put a reliable 3C with some offensive skill is of higher importance than a top 4 D.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think we could use an upgrade on Krug, but the "need" isn't dire by any stretch. I'd put a reliable 3C with some offensive skill is of higher importance than a top 4 D.

I think Carlo and McAvoy will be able to take steps forward and make it even less of a need, and Zboril looks like an eventual top 4 guy even though it probably won't be next year. I would just find it hard to justify paying the price it would take to get a legit #3 guy

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grezcelyk-Miller

The issue is that Krug and Gryz are both undersized and need to be protected to a degree. Leaving Chara screwed. Chara is going to be something like 184 years old next season. During the regular season they got away with it to the point where it wasn't cool to point out it being an issue. In the playoffs Krug had a touch time against the depth of Toronto and Tampa. Obviously, some of that was Carlo being out. But, regardless, ideally you have another LD that can PK or go against top 6 players and not just rely on a still very effective but very old Chara.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I think Carlo and McAvoy will be able to take steps forward and make it even less of a need, and Zboril looks like an eventual top 4 guy even though it probably won't be next year. I would just find it hard to justify paying the price it would take to get a legit #3 guy

Yeah plus theres Lauzon and Urho waiting as well. The long and short of it I don't want to give up much of anything thats going to be rental/band aid type. Brodin I would explore for sure.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah plus theres Lauzon and Urho waiting as well. The long and short of it I don't want to give up much of anything thats going to be rental/band aid type. Brodin I would explore for sure.

That would take quite a haul I'd imagine, but since a more offensive center is a need maybe something big could be worked out around both he and Coyle and just go all in

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Funny, I feel more confident in JFK or Frederic or even Donato (although I want him at wing) being able to step in as a rookie more than any of the young D.

Honestly, they should have just gotten McD from the Rangers instead of Nash, but what are you going to do.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Funny, I feel more confident in JFK or Frederic or even Donato (although I want him at wing) being able to step in as a rookie more than any of the young D.

Honestly, they should have just gotten McD from the Rangers instead of Nash, but what are you going to do.

That Nash trade right away was puzzling to me, seemed like a huge price where McDonagh didn't return as much as I expected, Namestnikov/Miller swap was especially weird to me as I've always found Miller to be the better player. I know there's value in Nash's game but IMO guy has been consistently overrated basically since he broke into the league

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Well I don't think any of the young D will step in next year. I think we'll enter the season with a "competition" but eventually have the same top 7 D (Chara/McAvoy, Carlo, K Miller, Gryz, Krug, McQuaid).

And yes I agree about McDonaugh, seems a bit short sighted now.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Sounds like NYI are letting DeHaan walk. Great skating, smart LHD that could play on the 2nd pairing.

DeHaan is totally on my radar, too. $$$ gets tight after this season, though. Could always move Krug (since he has no trade protection) after next season if need be.

DeHaan might be the most attractive choice for the next few seasons.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That Nash trade right away was puzzling to me, seemed like a huge price where McDonagh didn't return as much as I expected, Namestnikov/Miller swap was especially weird to me as I've always found Miller to be the better player. I know there's value in Nash's game but IMO guy has been consistently overrated basically since he broke into the league

Krejci has played well with bigger bodies and the Bruins knew they needed more middle 6 scoring. He was the best big body available that wasn't going to be a concern in a good dressing room (Kane). In the end, they gave up #26 OA, their 5th best left handed D under 24 and a guy in Spooner they were going to move on from regardless. So not some crazy overpayment... but not the steal Tampa got. Rumors are that the Rangers held firm on DeBrusk from Boston. Boston didn't blink. But, when Boston got out of the race post Nash, you have to think Tampa had a better bargaining position.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Would you say that's pretty much where his value is at this point? 25th overall ish? Would definitely be a safer option than Tanev
Yeah I’d say that’s what I would hope for 25-30ish might be willing to do lower if they add a prospect or another pick or something

nagami

Apr 20, 2018
Loving this thread! sub'dhttp://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/isna/3/o.png

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grezcelyk-Miller

Yeah it would have to mean Krug out, in another trade or in a trade for more defensive LD.

Vaakanainen is looking good but it's a 1 year too early for him(atleast) to fill that role.

DeHaan is totally on my radar, too. $$$ gets tight after this season, though. Could always move Krug (since he has no trade protection) after next season if need be.

DeHaan might be the most attractive choice for the next few seasons.

Signing DeHaan and trading Krug for assets could be a good move. Get a top4 in return and keep adding to the prospect pool.

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad