Value of: Top 4 Mobile LHD to boston

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I just don’t see how EDM wouldn’t want Krug back. They have the leagues worst PP, Krug is a Chia guy with term and no trade protection. He is also a leader and Chia is obviously a big culture guy. If the Bruins were to move Krug, they get the best value out of EDM for certain. I don’t really know how Krug, Nurse and Klefbom lineup trade value wise. You know what you have with Krug. As good offense from the blue line as anyone not named Karlsson or Burns, a good possession player, but an absolute liability that needs protection against physical play down low. He tries his ass off, he is just small. You need your other two pairings to be able to play in their own zone, because you want Krug to get all the offensive matchups. Klefbom and Nurse? Klefbom followed up a good year (with arguments around McDavid effect) with a so so year. Nurse had his good year this year, but what is his ceiling? I think Krug holds the most value, but at his time last year, Klefbom did while Nurse made great strides.

Oilers aren't trading Nurse or Klefbom for a minor upgrade. Klefbom was injured all season and only had surgery late in the season and Nurse is a solid elite-skating second-pair D (we want more of him). We need an mobile/offensive RHD as badly as you need a LHD one. We need to upgrade from Sekera/Russell/Benning. Larsson should rebound (he played well in the last 10 games and now the WHC) after an injury filled season along with the death of his father.

I don't see Oilers being good trade partners if you don't want Sekera/Russell/Benning.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Isn't Zboril a mobile LHD that should be pushing for NHL time?

Absolutely. But next year is kind of a big year for Boston trying to make a push before Bergeron starts falling off and McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen and DeBrusk come off ELC. Being the guy to allow Krug to be protected again is a big ask for a rookie.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Isn't Zboril a mobile LHD that should be pushing for NHL time?

Yes, and Boston rolling the dice on one of zboril, vaakananien or lauzon being ready to step into that roll is a possibility. But ideally they get eased into the nhl playing sheltered minutes before being thrown into a top 4 roll with mcavoy (another young dman). Certainly could be the direction they go though. It worked this past year throwing debrusk and heinen and bjork and agistino and czarnik and grzcelyk against the wall hoping something would stick

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Oilers aren't trading Nurse or Klefbom for a minor upgrade. Klefbom was injured all season and only had surgery late in the season and Nurse is a solid elite-skating second-pair D (we want more of him). We need an mobile/offensive RHD as badly as you need a LHD one. We need to upgrade from Sekera/Russell/Benning. Larsson should rebound (he played well in the last 10 games and now the WHC) after an injury filled season along with the death of his father.

I don't see Oilers being good trade partners if you don't want Sekera/Russell/Benning.

Interesting comsidering the Oilers asked Boston about Krug this season.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Ben Hutton - I second this notion. I think his value is a tad higher then you are giving him credit for tho. Maybe he will come to camp in the best shape of his life! A boy can dream!
Personally I would rather move MDZ and hope Hutton does work his ass off this summer to get his conditioning up and out of the doghouse. Someone needs to go eventually, but who knows what JB is thinking.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Probably Plan G, but John Moore will be a UFA this off-season.

He's been steadily improving each year for NJ. He's incredibly versatile and probably won't cost much.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Probably Plan G, but John Moore will be a UFA this off-season.

He's been steadily improving each year for NJ. He's incredibly versatile and probably won't cost much.

Seems like a gamble. I think if Boston is looking at dealing heinen or bjork or JFK or grzcelyk/Krug, they’d want a sure thing.

If moore could be had, I’d expect him to compete for the 6th-7th spot on Boston. I wouldn’t place him above carlo mcavoy Miller chara or Krug. And after that it’s mcquaid and grzcelyk. Bottom pairing guys isn’t exactly what Boston is looking for. They also aren’t looking for potential top 4 guys, since they already have 3 in zboril lauzon and vaakanainen. They want current top 4 guys who can skate move the puck and play defense. They don’t have to light the world on fire offensively. Just a transition defensemen who is reliable in his own end

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Seems like a gamble. I think if Boston is looking at dealing heinen or bjork or JFK or grzcelyk/Krug, they’d want a sure thing.

If moore could be had, I’d expect him to compete for the 6th-7th spot on Boston. I wouldn’t place him above carlo mcavoy Miller chara or Krug. And after that it’s mcquaid and grzcelyk. Bottom pairing guys isn’t exactly what Boston is looking for. They also aren’t looking for potential top 4 guys, since they already have 3 in zboril lauzon and vaakanainen. They want current top 4 guys who can skate move the puck and play defense. They don’t have to light the world on fire offensively. Just a transition defensemen who is reliable in his own end

Fair enough, but he's a UFA so he'd cost nothing.

He's been playing 2LD for the Devils and looked a lot better this past season. I think as the game trends more toward speed/skill and less toward grind-it-out board work offensively, Moore will look better and better.

If the Bruins don't find an option, he could be a guy that you sign to play third pairing while also having the ability to shuffle up and down the line-up.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Wouldn't surprise me if they did. Doesn't mean that Nurse or Klefbom were on the table or offered by Chia for Krug, though. Nurse very likely isn't going nowhere, and trading Klefbom to get Krug would kind of defeat the purpose, and we'd still be left with only one Dman who has decent (or better) offensive skills. Even if Krug is better offensively, that still leaves us with just one real puck mover and effective PP Dman; it would be a mostly lateral move. The entire idea would be to add another Dman who can put up numbers to put on the 2nd pairing with Nurse, behind the first pairing of Klefbom-Larsson. Not sure if Krug can play the right-side very well. If not, he's probably not a good fit. We have tons of LHD, and Nurse has the 2nd pairing LHD spot nailed down. He could probably shift to the right side if needed, but it's not ideal.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Fair enough, but he's a UFA so he'd cost nothing.

He's been playing 2LD for the Devils and looked a lot better this past season. I think as the game trends more toward speed/skill and less toward grind-it-out board work offensively, Moore will look better and better.

If the Bruins don't find an option, he could be a guy that you sign to play third pairing while also having the ability to shuffle up and down the line-up.

Don't think that is a better option than giving Zboril, Lauzon, Johanssen, Vaak, etc a shot and seeing who wins. As mentioned before, worked with the group of Heinen, DeBrusk, Cehlarik, Bjork and Czarnik heading into the season for Boston on the forward front. Bruins hoping to strike again with Bjork, Donato, JFK, Frederic, Cehlarik, Czarnik (if he re-signs), Senyshyn again this year up front. Can they afford to also throw it against the wall on the back end? Maybe!

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Probably... Klefbom played with one shoulder, Larsson was out extended time due to injury and family matters, Sekera played only 36 games and most after the new year (after off season surgery). We were playing Eric Gryba in his place!

Chia failed in the offseason to keep the depth we had last season - Eberle, Pouliot, Pitlick, Osterle (playing for USA WHC now), Davidson - so when injuries hit we were sunk.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Wouldn't surprise me if they did. Doesn't mean that Nurse or Klefbom were on the table or offered by Chia for Krug, though. Nurse very likely isn't going nowhere, and trading Klefbom to get Krug would kind of defeat the purpose, and we'd still be left with only one Dman who has decent (or better) offensive skills. Even if Krug is better offensively, that still leaves us with just one real puck mover and effective PP Dman; it would be a mostly lateral move. The entire idea would be to add another Dman who can put up numbers to put on the 2nd pairing with Nurse, behind the first pairing of Klefbom-Larsson. Not sure if Krug can play the right-side very well. If not, he's probably not a good fit. We have tons of LHD, and Nurse has the 2nd pairing LHD spot nailed down. He could probably shift to the right side if needed, but it's not ideal.

Perhaps, I think you are underestimating (by a lot) the difference on the PP between Krug and a guy like Klefbom. That being said, I understand that a RD version of Krug is what EDM actually wants.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Perhaps, I think you are underestimating (by a lot) the difference on the PP between Krug and a guy like Klefbom. That being said, I understand that a RD version of Krug is what EDM actually wants.

Badly. We're overflowing with LHD so I think Chia will go hard after a right-handed offensive Dman like Barrie (just as an example). Krug may be something Chia circles back to if there's still something that can get done, but I think he goes hard for a puck-moving RHD first.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
If you're not willing to throw in Frederic then you're not serious.

What does this even mean? Frederic isnt far and away our best prospect, some may say hes not even top 3.

His point was we'd rather trade a Frederic level prospect at a different position (i.e. Zboril) than a center, because we're relatively weak up the middle comparatively.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

It wouldn’t be a lateral move offensively. Krug is one of the top power play qbs in the league. Klefbom is not. He might be capable or above average, but Krug is top 5 in my opinion. The most underrated thing about Krug on the powerplay is his ability to keep the puck in. I can’t think of many better at going sideline to sideline along the blue line holding pucks into the offensive zone. The hardest part of power plays is getting the puck into the cycle game from the neutral zone. Once that’s accomplished Krug is great at keeping the pressure on, which leads to sustained pressure and goals.

It’s not a lateral move offensively going from klefbom to krug. It’s a substancial upgrade. Krug is just a presumably substancial downgrade defensively.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It wouldn’t be a lateral move offensively. Krug is one of the top power play qbs in the league. Klefbom is not. He might be capable or above average, but Krug is top 5 in my opinion. The most underrated thing about Krug on the powerplay is his ability to keep the puck in. I can’t think of many better at going sideline to sideline along the blue line holding pucks into the offensive zone. The hardest part of power plays is getting the puck into the cycle game from the neutral zone. Once that’s accomplished Krug is great at keeping the pressure on, which leads to sustained pressure and goals.

It’s not a lateral move offensively going from klefbom to krug. It’s a substancial upgrade. Krug is just a presumably substancial downgrade defensively.

I meant lateral in the sense that we're moving out one guy who can put up offense for another. We need to find a way to keep Klefbom and add Krug or someone else. I don't think just having one offensive Dman is going to hack it, that's all I'm saying. And I think Klefbom will rebound with a fixed shoulder. If he doesn't score 40+ points I will be immensely disillusioned. He has it in him, so no excuses this coming season.

Krug's defensive play doesn't concern me, as Nurse is really showing a ability to be the 'clean up' man, and getting better and better at it. That pairing would be fine. I just don't know who'd play on the right-side. I guess Krug, so Nurse can stay in his comfort zone to hold things down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad