Top 4 countries?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
A mickey mouse tournament with that frequently has had players like mcdavid, ovechkin, crosby, kane, matthews etc

That is only very recently (and using those recent result the US places in the top 4 as they are currently in the IIHF’s top 4 rankings)

That said using it as an historic benchmark for the US is kind of a joke. I don’t even think most people, including the players, knew the tournament even existed prior to the early 00’s. That is an exaggeration but the world championships have always been an off the radar tournament here. It isn’t something players grew up with so it isn’t something they want to participate after a long season. In many ways US players are even more Stanley Cup focused than Canadians.

If you look at the best on best results since the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the US is clearly second behind Canada. They won in 96 and have been a finalist three other times (91 Canada Cup, 02 and 10 Olympics) in that time span.

But the question isn’t the last 30 years it is now. My answer to that is a follows

1. Canada
2/3. Sweden and USA (I think the team are pretty much even)
4/5. Russia / Finland

Reactions: McCoy

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Cannot say i am ever worried when Sweden play USA. it feels like meeting chezh or Slovakia in all honesty. More worried about finland and russia.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
1. Canada
2. USA
3. North Korea(Trump giving Kim 20 Top US-Players from NHL ;))
4. Qatar (Handball-Model/Import players from Top-nations))
5. Sweden
6. Finland

Last edited:

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
There was a time when I would have said Canada without reservation. However, I am floored at how well Finland and Sweden both maximize their available resources; if Hockey Canada was smart - which it isn't (just look at the idiots who are still employed there) - its self-proclaimed "hockey people" would take a long, hard look at how those Scandinavian countries develop young players. Put down that greasy pork chop, Salmond, swallow your pride instead of the next morsel, and study how these other countries do it. Personally, I think a standing Canadian national team at the junior level - like the muricans have - should be seriously considered. But see, that would take brains and effort, and both are in short supply at Hockey Canada. Thus, my list of the top 4 is as follows:

1) Finland
2) Sweden
3) Canada (should obviously be higher, but has squandered so much, and has basically signed away its future in the dark)
4) Murica

On a P4P basis, hard to see how it can be anyone other than Finland in 2018.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
2016 to 2018 all this countries:

1 Sweden
2 Canada
3 Russia
4 Germany

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
That is only very recently (and using those recent result the US places in the top 4 as they are currently in the IIHF’s top 4 rankings)

That said using it as an historic benchmark for the US is kind of a joke. I don’t even think most people, including the players, knew the tournament even existed prior to the early 00’s. That is an exaggeration but the world championships have always been an off the radar tournament here. It isn’t something players grew up with so it isn’t something they want to participate after a long season. In many ways US players are even more Stanley Cup focused than Canadians.

If you look at the best on best results since the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the US is clearly second behind Canada. They won in 96 and have been a finalist three other times (91 Canada Cup, 02 and 10 Olympics) in that time span.

But the question isn’t the last 30 years it is now. My answer to that is a follows

1. Canada
2/3. Sweden and USA (I think the team are pretty much even)
4/5. Russia / Finland

Okey, Canadian stars in center type are strongest in current seat Tavares, Stamkos, Barzal, McDavid and finally Crosby did have winning everything as hockey star IIWC, World Cup, Olympics and PO's he's top 20 all time stars world class since start 2005 in nhl.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Olympic Golds:
Canada- 9 golds (16 total medals)
Soviet Union/Russia- 7 golds (11 total medals)

United States- 2 golds (11 total medals)
Sweden- 2 golds (9 total medals)
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia - 1 gold (10 total medals)
Finland- 0 (6 total medals)

IIHF Championships:
Soviet Union/Russia- 27 golds (46 total medals)
Canada- 26 golds (49 total medals)
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia - 12 golds (46 total medals)
Sweden- 11 golds (47 total medals)
United States- 2 golds (19 total medals)
Finland- 2 (13 total medals)

World Cups:
Canada- 6 golds (8 total medals)
Soviet Union/Russia- 1 gold (5 total medals)
United States- 1 gold (5 total medals)
Sweden- 0 gold (5 total medals)
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia- 0 gold (4 total medals)
Finland- 0 gold (2 total medals)
World Juniors:
Canada- 17 golds (31 total medals)
Soviet Union/Russia- 12 golds (34 total medals)
Finland- 4 golds (14 total medals)
United States- 4 golds (11 total medals)
Sweden- 2 golds (18 total medals)
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia- 2 golds (14 total medals)

So among the Olympics, IIHF Championships, World Cups, and World Juniors the final totals are:
Canada- 58 golds (104 medals)
Soviet Union/Russia- 47 golds (96 medals)

Sweden- 15 golds (79 medals)
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia- 15 golds (74 medals)
United States- 9 golds (46 medals)
Finland- 6 golds (35 medals)

Hence, historically speaking (record-wise), the top 4 goes:
1. Canada

2. Russia/Soviet Union

3. Sweden
4. Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia

With USA/Finland coming in afterwards

However, Russia has definitely slowed down over the last couple decades and some can argue that their total trophy case is a bit inflated due to a lot of their wins coming in years and tourneys where other teams couldn't send their best players.

Last edited:

Ukki

Feb 10, 2014
Oulu
Canada is clear #1 and Sweden #2
After those two it gets fairly debatable and you can make a case for any of Finland/Russia/USA #3-5

Reactions: McCoy

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Olympic Golds:
Canada- 9 golds (16 total medals)
Soviet Union/Russia- 7 golds (11 total medals)

United States- 2 golds (11 total medals)
Sweden- 2 golds (9 total medals)
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia - 1 gold (10 total medals)
Finland- 0 (6 total medals)

IIHF Championships:
Soviet Union/Russia- 27 golds (46 total medals)
Canada- 26 golds (49 total medals)
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia - 12 golds (46 total medals)
Sweden- 11 golds (47 total medals)
United States- 2 golds (19 total medals)
Finland- 2 (13 total medals)

World Cups:
Canada- 6 golds (8 total medals)
Soviet Union/Russia- 1 gold (5 total medals)
United States- 1 gold (5 total medals)
Sweden- 0 gold (5 total medals)
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia- 0 gold (4 total medals)
Finland- 0 gold (2 total medals)
World Juniors:
Canada- 17 golds (31 total medals)
Soviet Union/Russia- 12 golds (34 total medals)
Finland- 4 golds (14 total medals)
United States- 4 golds (11 total medals)
Sweden- 2 golds (18 total medals)
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia- 2 golds (14 total medals)

So among the Olympics, IIHF Championships, World Cups, and World Juniors the final totals are:
Canada- 58 golds (104 medals)
Soviet Union/Russia- 47 golds (96 medals)

Sweden- 15 golds (79 medals)
Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia- 15 golds (74 medals)
United States- 9 golds (46 medals)
Finland- 6 golds (35 medals)

Hence, historically speaking (record-wise), the top 4 goes:
1. Canada

2. Russia/Soviet Union

3. Sweden
4. Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia

With USA/Finland coming in afterwards

However, Russia has definitely slowed down over the last couple decades and some can argue that their total trophy case is a bit inflated due to a lot of their wins coming in years and tourneys where other teams couldn't send their best players.

The only reason of those is all time teams hehehe :thumbd:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If a country like Germany started to take the sport seriously they would easily break into the top 4.

It's not that it wouldn't be taken seriously in Germany, it just is a very regional sport and will always be. The same is true for many other countries of course.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Feels like ive already said something here.. to lazy to check so.

Canada
Sweden/Finland
Usa/Russia

Or WHC rating (dont count juniors) right now.

Sweden
Canada
Finland/Usa/Russia

NHL PR cup(former Canada cup) sucks, its like a allstar tournament. And if Usa or Canada dont care about the real worlds then is on them. And their world ranking will continue to be lower then expected, inspite of having better players on paper(they are alwasy dangerous anyway). Show me the players or shut up. And not in a NHL PR cup. Most of the world cares more about WCH than that phony embaresment of a tournament.

Do i want my team to win it? Yes i do , but i would rate the win in NHL PR Cup like on the same level as winning the eurohockey tournament.

member 305909

Such a shame that Slovakia has definitely dropped at least a couple of notches down the hierarchy. I hope they get some uplift from their own world championships next year.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
There was a time when I would have said Canada without reservation. However, I am floored at how well Finland and Sweden both maximize their available resources; if Hockey Canada was smart - which it isn't (just look at the idiots who are still employed there) - its self-proclaimed "hockey people" would take a long, hard look at how those Scandinavian countries develop young players. Put down that greasy pork chop, Salmond, swallow your pride instead of the next morsel, and study how these other countries do it. Personally, I think a standing Canadian national team at the junior level - like the muricans have - should be seriously considered. But see, that would take brains and effort, and both are in short supply at Hockey Canada. Thus, my list of the top 4 is as follows:

1) Finland
2) Sweden
3) Canada (should obviously be higher, but has squandered so much, and has basically signed away its future in the dark)
4) Murica

On a P4P basis, hard to see how it can be anyone other than Finland in 2018.

Username checks out. How can you even argue for that list? Pound for pound? How does that help anyone when facing Canada in best on best tournaments? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad