Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I say:

1st Canada
2nd Sweden
3rd USA
4th Finland
5th Russia

Canada is the best. Best players in the league in each and every position play for Canada. Sweden comes near at second mostly because of their D which is superior to basically any. USA gets third because top talent wise in both D and F they have more depth than Finland and Russia. Finland and Russia come close both at 4th but I'd give a slight advantage to Finland due to us being a younger team (and homerism ofc).
goaltending says hi.

Canada wont stay up top for much longer since there is no one good coming up in net for them.

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
goaltending says hi.

Canada wont stay up top for much longer since there is no one good coming up in net for them.
Oh. For some reason I thought Demko and Ottinger were canadiens. But in the end even mediocre goaltending will keep them at the top with their attack and defense being of such a high quality

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Finland is a strong number 5-6 with Czech, but often overperforms in a way that they can have a yearly rank above their natural position.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Finland is a strong number 5-6 with Czech, but often overperforms in a way that they can have a yearly rank above their natural position.
But on paper Finland are stronger than ever before. And in future a lot more.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Canada
Sweden
Russia
Finland
------------------
USA/CZE - tie

USA only beats Finland in player material, but there's no denying that Finland has achieved more with lesser players in the last 10 years or so. I feel like the margin will only get greater in Finland's favor now that the disaster coach of Finland, Lauri Marjamäki is gone, replaced by the most succesful Finnish NT coach in the history of Finland, Jukka Jalonen.

For some reason I think that his underachieving by USA will continue, so I'd rate them that low.

Best on best roster strength wise it's probably:
1. Canada
2. USA
3 & 4. RUS & SWE tie - RUS better forwards, SWE better defenders.
5. Finland - but CZE isn't that far

Last edited:
Reactions: Urbanskog

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I disagree with the bolded. The last few years we have produced a lot of good NHL defensemen and also some really high profile prospects are coming to the NHL. The quality of the goalies has gone downhill though when our youngest of the good starters is Raanta at 29 and Saros is pretty much the only "great" prospect we have in the league rn. Rask, Raanta and Rinne can carry us for a few years still but in the next few years after that we'll have a big problem if Saros (or Husso and Kähkönen) don't turn out to be that good. Defense-wise we'll be solid for the next 15 years.

I don't see the goalie thing becoming an issue. We've seen lately that we produce a lot of late bloomer goalies as well.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
USA is hard to rank, since they probably is #2 player by player, but the also need to prove themselves better in international games (I am not counting jrs). Therefore:

1 Canada
2 Russia
3 Sweden/USA/Finland
4 Czech Rep./Switzerland

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
USA? Last time when USA made the IIHF final game was 1960.

Canada-Russia-Sweden-Finland--USA/Swiss/Czech

A mickey-mouse tournament like IIHF World Championships isn't an indicator of anything...

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
A mickey mouse tournament with that frequently has had players like mcdavid, ovechkin, crosby, kane, matthews etc
Everyone knows its a B-level tournament so I'm not going argue with you on it, I'll just leave this fact;

Canada's goalie was McBack-up.

Hell, calling it a B-level tournament might be generous on my part.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think on paper the U.S. is #2 but I can see the justification for a lower ranking if you take into consideration performance in best on best tournaments at the senior level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad