Top 3 most memorable Ovechkin moments

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm remembering the **** out of that time he ****ed off for an entire season in the middle of a marathon contract.

Meh. I choose to remember all the greatness he has provided. If I recall right after the contract was announced he went on a vicious tear..

If GMGM just gave him some support on the D in his "great years" we wouldn't be in this mess.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It's not depressing to me, but I get how it could be seen as a bit of a post-mortem.

Only if you believe he will never come near the form he had. I don't believe that for one second. In fact he has shown more and more signs of that the 2nd half of the season which according to GMGM is due to conditioning.

I feel he will get his act together this summer and train harder than ever. I see 50 goals next season.

BamaCapsFan

Jan 31, 2008
The four goal 5 point comeback night where he was also hit with a puck, high stick, etc. OT winner. Yeah, that's gotta be tops.

The playoff hat trick where Crosby also managed one after it didn't matter. I love that I was at this game, that's hard to do from down here in Alabama.

The spin-o-ram a goal against Montreal.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
The hat trick against Pittsburgh and the broken nose 4 goal game against MTL are #2 and #3, but #1 is gotta be the goal against Philly in round 1. That game was crazy...I flipped **** when Green tied it up, then OV scored. Great series, sucks that we didn't win.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Definitely a different tone nowadays.

My favorite Ovy moment is one few will remember. I was one of 3 buss loads of CAPS fans that came down to Raleigh for the draft. Being me, I had a blue mohawk. During the after party we got to meat all of the draftees and each of them gave that, "what the....." look as I shook their hands.

My favorite Ovy hit was the one on Subban.

My favorite goal has to be #32. It was his coming out party that forced everyone to stop and appreciate.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He does so much in the same game, maybe the thread could stand to also document his 3 best games, or posters favorite games.

A few favs, that Montreal game, bloodied, hitting and scoring and taking over Canada. That game is a giant moment in my long term RAM

His first playoff goal is still near the top of my chart. I can still see that philly goalie laying on the ice in desperation. Another one is that monster hit on Hal Gill throwing Gill and the puck into the goal. The now countless monster hits. What a tank he is.

#PanicThreshold

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Agreed that the Pheonix goal put him on the map and also agree that it maybe better to assign games since he has entire games with multiple memorable moments in them.

Yeah Crosby got star of the night opening night..with all of 1 assist. Buccigrass was pumping his tires the next day not mentioning Ovie at all and pleading to people to recognize.

A few months into the season Stan Fishler was pumping Petr Prucha for not getting enough attention and that he should be in the mix with Ovie.

A few months after that some smug Calgary Flames guy was saying how that Ovie is a "nice player" and the Crosby was a "generational talent" that Dion Phaneuf should win ROY going away.

I also remember the game in Anaheim where he got his first hat trick and the fans of the Ducks were cheering the OT winner and appreciating what they were seeing.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
The "goal that wasn't" was memorable for me.

The Caps lost. The win streak ended. And Alex Ovechkin's bizarre goal of the night--checking massive defenseman Hal Gill, goalie Carey Price, the puck, six medicine balls and several tons of concrete slabs into the net--was waved off by officials.

Whatever. Don't care. In the last week, the guy has scored with one hand. He's scored by breaking his stick, scurrying to get another, and then one-timing his first look. He's busted a goal cam en route to a hat trick. And against Montreal, he checked like 470 pounds of Canadien into the net. Which led to this call on TSN, from the much-blogged-about Pierre McGuire:

"This guy is an android. He's not human....Oh my goodness....This is his thing. This guy is legitimately 235 pounds, and this is just a nuclear eruption from Alexander Ovechkin....Here comes 8 in white. WHAM....Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/02/ovechkin_checks_puck_into_net.html

Video in link.

Last edited:

Vladiator16*

The hat trick against Pittsburgh and the broken nose 4 goal game against MTL are #2 and #3, but #1 is gotta be the goal against Philly in round 1. That game was crazy...I flipped **** when Green tied it up, then OV scored. Great series, sucks that we didn't win.

Yeah, i still blame Poti for the loss, even though that tripping penalty was pretty weak...
Anyway, mine are:
The Goal, 4 goals and a broken beak in Montreal, and the ****ing no goal against Montreal.

HM: Hat trick against Pens in PO's.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
- watching Ovechkin play in person for the 1st time, during the 2012 lockout in Novokuznetsk. AO played like trash, floated the entire game and was deservedly compared by the local fans to Chris Simon :laugh: and then he danced around the defense for a beauty, finishing the game with 1+2. That was the 1st moment I caught myself thinking "he actually can be the league MVP again".

- the butter slicer playoff goal against the Rangers. Such domination.

- the Montreal game.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
It was Gilbert Brule if I am not mistaken.

Without a doubt, scoring the first NHL goal must be an exhilarating moment. Alexander Ovechkin didn't have to wait too long.

In his first game donning a Washington Capitals jersey, the sniper not only scored his first NHL goal, seen in the accompanying video, but also recorded a second goal.

Ovechkin also laid a big hit on Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Radoslav Suchy in his very first NHL shift that caused Suchy to slowly wobble off the ice. It's safe to say Ovechkin made an outstandingly popular first impression on the D.C. crowd.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/949908-alexander-ovechkin-top-nhl-highlights-of-his-washington-capitals-career/page/6

I'm sure he creamed Brule a few times, though. :D

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Here are my top 3 favorite Ovechkin moments!

1. Awesome accomplishment yet to be accomplished
2. Awesome accomplishment yet to be accomplished
3. Awesome accomplishment yet to be accomplished

:)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hell with moments

My top 3 favorite Ovi months

His first in the league, as it saved me as a fan.

The month before the Olympics, Clark traded away. The most dominant our team has ever been.

~April 2011 playoffs when we lost to Pitt in Round 7

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
RE: Brule

I believe it was that same game but he gave a pretty vicious elbow to Ovechkin's head (if not it was a game later that year or the year after) that went undetected. Today Brule would have gotten 3 games easy for that.

The month before the Olympics, Clark traded away. The most dominant our team has ever been.

I don't know if you are implying it but it wasn't the Clark trade that led to the downfall. Clark was hardly playing and when he was he was highly ineffective as the injury had took a heavy toll on him.

To me it was the suspension arising from the Campbell hit. The NHL really started going crazy with suspensions via the Shanaban after or around there.

Chimera for Jurcina and Clark was actually a very good trade for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad