Top 3 most memorable Ovechkin moments

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
OK..just wanted to take a second from all this apathy and turmoil surrounding the team. Right now the future of it all seems uncertain but I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the best player we have ever had in Washington.

While his best days maybe behind him there is mixed feelings whether he can approach those days again or whether he is just a 30-40 goal/ppg player now...I believe he can and will get back to a portion of his former self personally.

However I wanted to take a moment and share my top 3 moments that I recall from him and perhaps take a look into what all you guys have on your lists. For me:

3) 1st season - 2nd pre season game vs Penguins. This is the first time I watched him play a game on TV. His 1st game vs Buffalo wasn't televised and he was quiet as we got shut out. I recall in this game vs the Pens (who didn't dress any of their good players really) he notched a hattrick. The first I goal I saw him score ..amazing...he intercepted a cross ice feed from a Pens Dman and from several feet above the top of the left circle he took the quickest snap/wrister I have EVER seen and labeled off the crossbar and in with the goalie hardly moving. My jaw dropped and I was fairly certain he was even more than what I had heard (the best prospect since Mario)

2) 1st season - 1st game. Don't need to rehash this one. But the hit on Suchy on his first shift and scoring the 1st 2 goals of the season ...wow! Ofcourse guys like Buccigras were drooling over Crozby's 1 assist in the loss vs the Devils and the Croz somehow got 1st star of the nite...yeah

1) The run - one of last games of season vs Carolina. When he scored that goal on a turnaround shot that gave us a 4-1 lead I could not believe how loud that crowd was. I have, in all my years of watching hockey, never heard a crowd chant "MVP MVP" over and over again. BB and Ovechkin took hockey in DC to another level and THAT was the moment I remember most about it. I've seen rocking Caps fans before (in 88 when Hunter scored and in the following series game 7 vs the Devs after we tied it late in the 2nd period)..but this took the cake. It was pretty awe inspiring. Pitt fans tried to duplicate it for Malkin a year or two later but it didn't hold a candle to this.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Sadly no playoff moments.

He's had plenty clearly. Those are just ones that I personally prefer. Scoring the game winners in games 1 and 6 vs the Flyers ...simply torching the Pens in that 7 game series...schooling Girardi and the entire Rangers team in game 5 a few years back...there are more

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1. game 1 v the flyers. the unassisted winning goal late in the 3rd period. huge moment.
2. the goal v the rangers in the playoffs
3. knocking hal gill clear into the net in montreal.

thats good for a start.

the no playoffs moment comment is just shallow.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
There was a game I think during his rookie year in Nashville. He had the puck alone at center and he was driving down the ice. The only dman back for Nashville was Zidlicky. Ovechkin opted to go through him. He just skated right at him, knocked him out of the way and kept the puck. If he had scored on that play, it would probably be my favorite Alex goal.

bokchoy

Oct 2, 2010
-Winning the Calder Trophy.
-That crazy goal that he scored while on his back.
-The 7-game series against Pittsburgh in 2009 when Crosby and Ovechkin each scored a hat trick.
-Scoring 65 Goals. I guess this isn't a moment, but when the season was all said and done, it was a crazy accomplishment.
-The controversial "hot-stick" goal celebration.
-Smashing Brian Campbell into the boards and getting suspended.
-His open-ice body check on Jagr in the Olympics.
-Refusing to partcipate the 2012 All Star Game. Maybe his all time low.

IkeaMonkey*

ovechkin.gif

picture-12.png

1. http://youtu.be/cFb0y7TrqHQ

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The Hal Gil moment was awesome! I am still bitter about that one! It should have been a goal! And if we had that and/or Jurcina didn't botch the OT play BB would have been the coach of the Allstar game!

Love the fact that fans from other teams (I think they are at least) are chiming in. There are times where you just have to appreciate elite talent no matter what team they play for.

The Zidlicky play was cool too. That turned into a 2 on 1 that Zubrus didn't finish. He had a goal (a nice one) that game too.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
1. "Spin O Rama" goal vs Montreal
2. "Two Man Deke" goal vs Rangers in playoffs
3. Bone jarring hit on Jagr in the Olympics (my personal favorite)

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
The Hal Gil moment was awesome! I am still bitter about that one! It should have been a goal! And if we had that and/or Jurcina didn't botch the OT play BB would have been the coach of the Allstar game!

I'm still pissed as well, no idea how that didn't count. I still remember screaming at my tv and Pierre

"That guys an ANDROOID"

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
3. 1st career playoff goal

2. Ovechkin scores #60. Also part of that epic comeback against Atlanta

1. Ovechkin hat trick against Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
3) Hal Gill "goal" (it was a ****ing goal!)
2) Montreal spin-o-rama goal
1) 2010 Olympics hit on Jagr: I was there, practically crapped myself.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Im surprised no one has mentioned it before me but the 4 goal 5 point Montreal game is up there in my book. I just remember being at JMU drinking heavily and flipping out with my friends on that game. Other than that the moments already mentioned are also tops for me.

Burgh32

Aug 15, 2005
S.J
More votes for the playoff hattrick vs the Pens and the gwg against the Flyers in game 1. Verizon Center almost came crashing down on both instances.

Those were the days. I miss Ovy's beard.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe my all time fav was his first playoff goal.

His first hit in his first minute in his first game - which shook free the metal between the glass.... stansion (sp). As advertised, I thought.

Off the radar but Gauthier stepping up to hit him at the end of a period. Getting trucked and helicoptering and maybe even concussed for his efforts.

So many great hits but the Hall Gill Sputnick Launch would be the best hit and goal had it counted. As it was, it is a top 10 hit.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
no particular order...

i think it was his first game, home opener against the debbies, in which he flattened colin white behind the net. my thought was "dayum! this guy is wrecking ball".

of course the on-the-back goal against the yotes.

the montreal game where we was abused physically, then abused them with goals.

honorable mention - that right off the OT opening faceoff goal against the thrashers.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the 4 goal, broken nose, stitches game v montreal is a favorite, but its not a moment and that would be why i didnt choose it. that was a complete game.

i'll add an HM to my list which is Ov tackling poor Fedorov after he scored the series winner v the Rangers. Ov at its best.

ok...one more. its really hard to just choose 3. how about the last second buzzer beater in NJ? one of my favorite images is the entire Devils group on the ice in view looking like they had just lost the cup.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
2) 1st season - 1st game. Don't need to rehash this one. But the hit on Suchy on his first shift and scoring the 1st 2 goals of the season ...wow! Ofcourse guys like Buccigras were drooling over Crozby's 1 assist in the loss vs the Devils and the Croz somehow got 1st star of the nite...yeah

That's number one for me, in no small part because I was there. Going from the Jagr years to the firesale to the lockout, the only piece of good news we had had in years was winning the lottery. To see Ovie come out and dominate in his first game gave all the Caps fans I knew (and there didn't used to be that many of us) hope in an otherwise crappy era.

Number two is easily The Goal in Phoenix. Sure, it was a fluke, but it was an incredible fluke. I show that goal to non-hockey fans, and they are consistently amazed. As they should be.

Three is the Gill goal, and it totally, 100% should have counted.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That's number one for me, in no small part because I was there. Going from the Jagr years to the firesale to the lockout, the only piece of good news we had had in years was winning the lottery. To see Ovie come out and dominate in his first game gave all the Caps fans I knew (and there didn't used to be that many of us) hope in an otherwise crappy era.

True. I remember being on here and the official boards prior to the lottery. No of us even had a glimmer of hope we'd be getting the 1st pick and were resigned for a long painful rebuild and Cam Barker.

I remember the virtual freakout when we got the 1st pick. Everyone was going crazy and predicting Ovechkins first year..they were saying 25 goal/60pts for most part.

Little did most know how good he really was until that 1st game. For me it was the preseason game vs the Pens where I instantly knew he was a superstar.

ok...one more. its really hard to just choose 3. how about the last second buzzer beater in NJ? one of my favorite images is the entire Devils group on the ice in view looking like they had just lost the cup.

It is definitely hard to just pick 3. One that sticks out is his goal in game 4 vs Rangers in 08-09. We lost that game (just barely) but he OWNED the game in the 3rd period. He scored one of the most EVIL wrist shot goals on Lundqvuist I'd seen. He let it rip just as he crossed the blue line and you could not even see the puck on slow mo but you sure could hear it ring off the crossbar and in.

Liberati0n*

I think all of mine have been mentioned, including this one, but the goal in game 1 against the Flyers is still my favorite. He strips two guys in succession and then just rails the puck into the net, and then his reaction...just ****. For some reason it just hits me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00