Prospect Info: Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #7

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Straka. After that, you can pick the rest of them out of a hat because they are all deep long-shots to develop into anything that won't be easily replaceable.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I went Mcginn. He showed me enough last year that I'm not afraid to put him in the lineup if needed. He can get to the front of the net and clean up garbage pretty well. He's also very physical. His skating seemed to be the huge knock on him coming into last year, but wasn't near as bad as reported.

If it wasn't for the extreme severity of the concussions, I would have taken Bourdon. You could probably twist my arm into voting for Alt, Noebels, Leier or Lauridsen as well. I haven't seen enough of that crop (except Lauridsen) to really know.

Please add Matt Konan to the list for next time. The kid did enough to earn a call-up as a 21 year old rookie and didn't look bad when he dressed. He at least deserves to be on the list.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Went with Straka. I'd say he has a higher ceiling than McGinn but McGinn is closer to his potential at the moment, so it comes down to what you are basing the poll off of.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Was between Straka and McGinn for me. I think Straka has a chance for a higher ceiling than McGinn (which McGinn's isnt too high). Should be 1-2 them though for 7-8.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Straka. He seems to be a bit of a wildcard and may have more potential than a guy like McGinn.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Straka is a huge long shot to be at best a mediocre NHL player. There's a reason you don't see any prolific scorers with his kind of career trajectory.

McGinn at least has a skill set to play in the bottom 6.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Straka is a huge long shot to be at best a mediocre NHL player. There's a reason you don't see any prolific scorers with his kind of career trajectory.

McGinn at least has a skill set to play in the bottom 6.

Sure, but McGinn offers nothing that isn't available for <1m on the free agent market every year. Straka at least has an outside shot at being something a little more valuable.

It's nice to have a home grown bottom 6 guy, but you can find those players at any time. Even if Straka amounts to absolutely nothing (and that's very likely), I'd rather take a chance on a prospect like him than one like McGinn who is guaranteed to never be anything better than a bottom six presence.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Sure, but McGinn offers nothing that isn't available for <1m on the free agent market every year. Straka at least has an outside shot at being something a little more valuable.

It's nice to have a home grown bottom 6 guy, but you can find those players at any time. Even if Straka amounts to absolutely nothing (and that's very likely), I'd rather take a chance on a prospect like him than one like McGinn who is guaranteed to never be anything better than a bottom six presence.
Decent third line forwards go for a lot more than $1M nowadays, especially on the open market. McGinn could also develop into a complementary player on a scoring line who can stand in front of the net and dig in corners to maximize possession (like he even already did this season). Straka will likely never have that variability, which makes him far less valuable to the organization.

Also, I disagree that Straka has a shot at being more valuable. I doubt he plays more than a handful of NHL games in his career (if any). Is Straka's offensive upside really much better than McGinn's anyway? I mean, McGinn scored at a better pace than Straka in junior. I'd rather have someone who drives the net frees up space for more talented players than someone who tries a stupid toe drag and turns the puck over 90% of the time.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Gonna go with Mcginn here. I loved this pick when we made it and had him pegged with quality 3rd line upside. I think he's on par for that and has shown potential, albeit little, to play compliment up higher using his assets properly. The kid has a great attitude, wears his heart on his sleeve, sticks up for teammates and has only exceeded expectations when given the opportunity. a nice Flyer.

I really haven't looked into Straka that deeply but hear he has the skills to score. I like to be optimistic about him but so far, as opposed to Mcginn, he's only failed to meet the expectations of others.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
McGinn because he has done everything right so far and exceeded expectations.

Am I the only one struggling to get a read on players who haven't even played a single game for the organization yet?
Straka seems to have some skill from what I've heard but could as well be just another Stefan Legein who just doesn't have it in him...

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
How can everyone be so high on straka when no one has seen him play.

Going by this critera though should we even have polls because most havent seen most of these players play.

That being said, Straka's offensive potenial is absolutely higher than McGinn. Straka was hurt which killed two years for him. There is a reason why what, 15 NHL teams wanted him? Also a reason he wa a 2nd round pick. You can discredit his defense, but to say he has no offensive potenial, i think those who did watch him play would 100% disagree with you. A few even went into the prospect thread and talked about him.

But this poll shows the split in type of players people like. We got the rough and tough player and the dangle around people player. Looking at where people vote alot from both sides have shown which type of player they like in the past. Hell even norm said he likes the rough and tough over the dangle.

I went Straka based off of potenial. Will he hit it? No idea. McGinn type of players are really easy to find though so I choose potenial.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Decent third line forwards go for a lot more than $1M nowadays, especially on the open market. McGinn could also develop into a complementary player on a scoring line who can stand in front of the net and dig in corners to maximize possession (like he even already did this season). Straka will likely never have that variability, which makes him far less valuable to the organization.

Also, I disagree that Straka has a shot at being more valuable. I doubt he plays more than a handful of NHL games in his career (if any). Is Straka's offensive upside really much better than McGinn's anyway? I mean, McGinn scored at a better pace than Straka in junior. I'd rather have someone who drives the net frees up space for more talented players than someone who tries a stupid toe drag and turns the puck over 90% of the time.

Yes it's much higher IMO. Straka's junior numbers are a result of injury trouble and a personal problem with his coach (he was getting no pp time and was on the 3rd line). Don't get me wrong I think he's a bit of a long shot but in my eyes McGinn is nothing more then a good 4th liner with the ability to play up if need be.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Yes it's much higher IMO. Straka's junior numbers are a result of injury trouble and a personal problem with his coach (he was getting no pp time and was on the 3rd line). Don't get me wrong I think he's a bit of a long shot but in my eyes McGinn is nothing more then a good 4th liner with the ability to play up if need be.
They are mainly the result of him playing bad hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad