Prospect Info: Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #7

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I seriously don't get the hype that surrounds him some times by Flyers fans. I guess that one goal really went a long way with some.

He'll probably play a few games in the NHL & never be heard from again like most of these random guys Flyers fans get fixated on.

I've been hyping and pulling for him for two years now, that has nothing to do with his goal. With that said I haven't voted for him yet but I imagine I will in a couple spots unless I'm forgetting someone.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I've been hyping and pulling for him for two years now, that has nothing to do with his goal. With that said I haven't voted for him yet but I imagine I will in a couple spots unless I'm forgetting someone.

I just don't see it. I don't see him being good enough offensively for a top 6 role or defensively for a bottom 6 role at the NHL level.

I just him being another guy that people clamor for with no real reason similar to Eric Wellwood.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
I seriously don't get the hype that surrounds him some times by Flyers fans. I guess that one goal really went a long way with some.

He'll probably play a few games in the NHL & never be heard from again like most of these random guys Flyers fans get fixated on.

I've been pulling for him since the day we signed him. He will be better then read imo

He's faster than people realize, his 2-way game improved a lot this year, and his offense could actually be something. Unlike all of these undrafted long shots, this kid has proven time and again that he can explode offensively if given a shot.

The goal in the first game was mostly adrenaline (he was flying that 1st period) but make no mistake, it was a goal scorers goal.

Fore check, turnover, pass, rebound, roof

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Why are you surprised by that?

I'm surprised. Akeson is probably the most skilled of the forward prospects in the Flyers system. He might not have the physical gifts that a Laughton has, but his playmaking skills, his puck handling skills, his hockey IQ, and his work ethic is certainly right up there. I don't get why people don't want to root for him because all what he does is bounce through adversity and never gives up. When Terry Murray sent him down to the ECHL last year, many thought that was it for him. Instead, Akeson works his backside off improving his defensive game, gets called back up to Adirondack, and immediately contributes, to the point where he was one of the most relied upon guys in Adirondack. People see the flash of a Straka or they see the sheer brute size of a McGinn and to be perfectly honest, Straka never matched what Akeson did in junior in terms of numbers and McGinn doesn't even sniff Akeson's jock strap when it comes to numbers at the minor pro level either. Now, don't think I'm hating on Straka or McGinn because I think they can be very good players (in the case of McGinn, he needs some fine tuning, but I can see a David Clarkson-type future when he puts it all together). I just don't think either of them match what Akeson brings to the table right now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I've been pulling for him since the day we signed him. He will be better then read imo

He's faster than people realize, his 2-way game improved a lot this year, and his offense could actually be something. Unlike all of these undrafted long shots, this kid has proven time and again that he can explode offensively if given a shot.

The goal in the first game was mostly adrenaline (he was flying that 1st period) but make no mistake, it was a goal scorers goal.

Fore check, turnover, pass, rebound, roof

I highly doubt he ever comes close to matching what Read has done in his first two years here so far.

I think you need to watch the first goal over again, that basically was Giroux that did all the hard work to dig the puck out from under Anderson & another player to get the puck to a wide open Akeson a couple feet from the net. He was at the right place at the right time. It was a nice shot but a lot of players on the team would have buried that from that close.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I disagree, as does the Flyers front office evidently. But I guess Columbus agrees with you. :laugh:
I don't really mind giving him a contract, but he's not a better prospect than McGinn (which is the question). Also EVERY team agreed with Columbus at the time because he wasn't selected when he reentered the draft in 2012. It's not like not signing his was some inept blunder on their part.
Yes, for the aforementioned reasons (injury, diminished role). Results from 2012-2013 indicate that Straka's obstacles were temporary and surmountable.
Or maybe results from 2012-2013 indicate he can play well against children as an overager.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I don't really mind giving him a contract, but he's not a better prospect than McGinn (which is the question). Also EVERY team agreed with Columbus at the time because he wasn't selected when he reentered the draft in 2012. It's not like not signing his was some inept blunder on their part.

Or maybe results from 2012-2013 indicate he can play well against children as an overager.

Would you say two seasons of healthy play that was good or two season of unhealthy play that was bad is the better indication of his play?

Like seriously though, what goes to show that McGinn is the better prospect? I know you like the brute size over skill but does that really classify as better?

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Also EVERY team agreed with Columbus at the time because he wasn't selected when he reentered the draft in 2012.

At the time of the 2012 draft he was coming off of two poor, injury-plagued seasons.

Straka's play at age 17 in the same league was impressive enough to get him drafted #55 overall. McGinn at age 17 wasn't doing anything in the CHL to put him on the NHL radar.

Straka as an over-ager put up a 40/40 season in the Q, McGinn as an over-ager in the Q was 30/30.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
At the time of the 2012 draft he was coming off of two poor, injury-plagued seasons.

Straka's play at age 17 in the same league was impressive enough to get him drafted #55 overall. McGinn at age 17 wasn't doing anything in the CHL to put him on the NHL radar.

Straka as an over-ager put up a 40/40 season in the Q, McGinn as an over-ager in the Q was 30/30.

Straka strikes me as a top 6 or bust type guy at the NHL level. McGinn seems to be a safer bet at playing in the NHL longer (albeit a bottom 6 role).

I could see people making the argument for McGinn for that reason but I like Straka's offensive upside here over McGinn.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm surprised. Akeson is probably the most skilled of the forward prospects in the Flyers system. He might not have the physical gifts that a Laughton has, but his playmaking skills, his puck handling skills, his hockey IQ, and his work ethic is certainly right up there. I don't get why people don't want to root for him because all what he does is bounce through adversity and never gives up. When Terry Murray sent him down to the ECHL last year, many thought that was it for him. Instead, Akeson works his backside off improving his defensive game, gets called back up to Adirondack, and immediately contributes, to the point where he was one of the most relied upon guys in Adirondack. People see the flash of a Straka or they see the sheer brute size of a McGinn and to be perfectly honest, Straka never matched what Akeson did in junior in terms of numbers and McGinn doesn't even sniff Akeson's jock strap when it comes to numbers at the minor pro level either. Now, don't think I'm hating on Straka or McGinn because I think they can be very good players (in the case of McGinn, he needs some fine tuning, but I can see a David Clarkson-type future when he puts it all together). I just don't think either of them match what Akeson brings to the table right now.

I agree 100 percent. His work ethic is awesome and it showed last year. By the end of the season Akeson was on the teams first pk unit and was a far cry from being a defensive liability 5 on 5. All he's done is improve and overcome. He just turned 23 (McGinn's age) so it's definitely not too late for him to make something of himself. I'm pulling for him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I just don't see it personally & there's a lot of other guys I like better than him in our system including the two you mentioned in Straka & McGinn. I wouldn't even put Akeson in my top 10 to be honest.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I just don't see it personally & there's a lot of other guys I like better than him in our system including the two you mentioned in Straka & McGinn. I wouldn't even put Akeson in my top 10 to be honest.

One thing you can't discredit is his offensive ability. He is easily the best passer of ALL of our prospects. Plus he can shoot. He had defensive problems and worked on them to a point where he killed pps in the AHL.

Gotta give the guy some credit here. Might not make the NHL, but to say he doesnt have any offensive is plain false. Thats his whole game which, if his defensive play was just a spec better he would be in the NHL. But hence its not so he isnt.

Honestly, I expect him to be one of the ones that fights for that last spot in the top 9.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
One thing you can't discredit is his offensive ability. He is easily the best passer of ALL of our prospects. Plus he can shoot. He had defensive problems and worked on them to a point where he killed pps in the AHL.

Gotta give the guy some credit here. Might not make the NHL, but to say he doesnt have any offensive is plain false. Thats his whole game which, if his defensive play was just a spec better he would be in the NHL. But hence its not so he isnt.

Honestly, I expect him to be one of the ones that fights for that last spot in the top 9.

I never said he doesn't have any offensive ability, I just said I don't see it translating much at the NHL level.

His lack of size & his skating (even though he's improved it a lot) are still concerns for the next level.

I see Raffl, Straka, Akeson & McGinn fighting for the last spot with Noebels as a dark horse. I have to give Raffl the edge out of all them based of what the Flyers have been saying about him.

Last edited:

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
straka = less physical Ruzisca

I like McGinn, Noebels and Alt's chances of sticking better.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Went with Alt, who I think isn't getting the love he deserves. When he was drafted, he was seen as a real project, but had all the tools to succeed. For a guy that's 6'3", he's a good skater, and uses his size. Lilja had a lot of praise for him, saying he'd be "something special" and said he'd have a lengthy NHL career. He was a 2nd round pick just like Straka was. Straka's numbers last year, while good, were in an overage year and do not mean nearly as much as if he put them up a year or two ago.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I was responding to him laughing about Columbus not signing him. And let's emphasize the poor when talking about those seasons. His "injuries" are a bad excuse for

McGinn's 30/30 season was at a better PPG pace than Straka's 40/40 season (1.52 vs 1.49). And you're right, Straka showed more promise at 17 than McGinn, but I'd rather a guy who progresses rather than regresses :dunno:

Last edited:

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Straka strikes me as a top 6 or bust type guy at the NHL level. McGinn seems to be a safer bet at playing in the NHL longer (albeit a bottom 6 role).

I could see people making the argument for McGinn for that reason but I like Straka's offensive upside here over McGinn.

You basically just summed up my reasoning for voting Straka.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
How can everyone be so high on straka when no one has seen him play.

Several people have. I saw him play at camp. It wasn't an exaggeration that he stood out. No one could match his skill. No one. Not Laughton, Ghost, Hagg, Noebels. While they were just drills, they were competitive team drills (mini-scrimmages) and he made defensemen and goalies look very, very bad.

I don't really mind giving him a contract, but he's not a better prospect than McGinn (which is the question).

Based on what? McGinn didn't look out of place in the NHL last year, but he didn't exactly excel. Straka has the skill and potential to excel if the heart and effort is there, and I'm certain it will be if there's a glimmer of a chance he makes the NHL. If the Flyers don't give him a fair shake in camp and bury him in the minors next year, we won't even be discussing this next year. But as of right now, Straka's skill level is light years ahead of McGinn. It's skill that should land him on the 2nd or 3rd line. McGinn's CEILING is the 3rd line. Both of their floors are AHLers.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I agree 100 percent. His work ethic is awesome and it showed last year. By the end of the season Akeson was on the teams first pk unit and was a far cry from being a defensive liability 5 on 5. All he's done is improve and overcome. He just turned 23 (McGinn's age) so it's definitely not too late for him to make something of himself. I'm pulling for him.

I mean, Read is probably Akeson's closest comparison.

Akeson is 2 years younger than when Read made his debut.

Read and Akeson are both roughly the same height with Akeson being more solid and playing at roughly 5 pounds heavier.

So they have similarities in size as well as skating, though Read is a faster skater. Akeson however is a little more shifty and agile.

Offensively Akeson is a superior passer to Read and Read is a superior shooter.

Read, however, is a significantly better defensive player even though Akeson is making decent strides. Still, he won't ever be the defensive player Read is.

I will say this though, Akeson is also training every offseason with Giroux. He's got talent, and I'm not so sure Straka is going to be more skilled or more translatable to the NHL.

I mean if Akeson and McGinn went to this camp, you'd think they'd dominate, possibly even moreso than Straka. And all this hype around Straka dominating prospects camp is nice, but from what I got to see, I think Laughton was the best player there.

Don't forget that two years ago, Akeson, just out of juniors, was one of the better players in actual training camp demonstrating some awesome passing ability.

He performed pretty well in his one game NHL debut despite jokes about his 82-goal pace. Truthfully, the fact that the Flyers gave him a game shows they're looking pretty hard at him.

Regardless of what people may believe, Akeson was sent down to the ECHL to get the top offensive minutes he wouldn't get with our top prospects like Schenn and Couturier down in the AHL. He didn't complain; he just quietly dominated. When called back up to the AHL, he quietly dominated. Much like Gustafsson, who took a lengthy developmental course as a dominant AHL player, Akeson is progressing along nicely.

I don't come close to understanding the people who consider him a non-prospect. There's literally no reason to come to that conclusion. The Flyers love his commitment and his work ethic. Let's see how far it takes him.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I mean, Read is probably Akeson's closest comparison.

Akeson is 2 years younger than when Read made his debut.

Read and Akeson are both roughly the same height with Akeson being more solid and playing at roughly 5 pounds heavier.

So they have similarities in size as well as skating, though Read is a faster skater. Akeson however is a little more shifty and agile.

Offensively Akeson is a superior passer to Read and Read is a superior shooter.

Read, however, is a significantly better defensive player even though Akeson is making decent strides. Still, he won't ever be the defensive player Read is.

I will say this though, Akeson is also training every offseason with Giroux. He's got talent, and I'm not so sure Straka is going to be more skilled or more translatable to the NHL.

I mean if Akeson and McGinn went to this camp, you'd think they'd dominate, possibly even moreso than Straka. And all this hype around Straka dominating prospects camp is nice, but from what I got to see, I think Laughton was the best player there.

Don't forget that two years ago, Akeson, just out of juniors, was one of the better players in actual training camp demonstrating some awesome passing ability.

He performed pretty well in his one game NHL debut despite jokes about his 82-goal pace. Truthfully, the fact that the Flyers gave him a game shows they're looking pretty hard at him.

Regardless of what people may believe, Akeson was sent down to the ECHL to get the top offensive minutes he wouldn't get with our top prospects like Schenn and Couturier down in the AHL. He didn't complain; he just quietly dominated. When called back up to the AHL, he quietly dominated. Much like Gustafsson, who took a lengthy developmental course as a dominant AHL player, Akeson is progressing along nicely.

I don't come close to understanding the people who consider him a non-prospect. There's literally no reason to come to that conclusion. The Flyers love his commitment and his work ethic. Let's see how far it takes him.

I voted Straka (probably cause I got caught up in all the hype) but I'll be voting Akeson very soon, maybe even next.

Everyone has there voting criteria and I'm going by ceiling and work ethic which usually translates to reaching said ceiling. For these reasons I have not and will not vote McGinn for a little while.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Also, going off points for all our prospects...

AKESON
17: N/A
18: 1.14 PPG
19: 1.24 PPG
20: 1.62 PPG

MCGINN
18: 0.63 PPG
20: 1.52 PPG

STRAKA
17: 1.03 PPG
18: 0.61 PPG
19: 0.69 PPG
20: 1.49 PPG

LAUGHTON
17: 0.83 PPG
19: N/A
20: N/A

COUSINS
17: 1.00 PPG
18: 1.35 PPG
19: 1.61 PPG

NOEBELS
18: 0.82 PPG
19: 0.94 PPG

----------------------------------

17 (year before eligible)
1. Straka
2. Cousins
3. Laughton

18 (year after eligibility)
1. Cousins
2. Akeson
-. Laughton
4. Noebels
5. McGinn
6. Straka

19 (developmental year)
1. Cousins
2. Akeson
-. McGinn
4. Noebels
5. Straka

20 (overager year)
1. Akeson
2. McGinn
3. Straka

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
I went McGinn here but am perfectly comfortable with Akeson as well. Especially now that I know he is training with G. I'm on board with adding Konan

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Also, going off points for all our prospects...

AKESON
20: 1.62 PPG

MCGINN
18: 0.63 PPG
20: 1.52 PPG

STRAKA
17: 1.03 PPG
18: 0.61 PPG
19: 0.69 PPG
20: 1.49 PPG

LAUGHTON
17: 0.83 PPG
19: N/A

COUSINS
17: 1.00 PPG
18: 1.35 PPG
19: 1.61 PPG

NOEBELS
18: 0.82 PPG
19: 0.94 PPG

----------------------------------

17 (year before eligible)
1. Straka
2. Cousins
3. Laughton

18 (year after eligibility)
1. Cousins
2. Akeson
-. Laughton
4. Noebels
5. McGinn
6. Straka

19 (developmental year)
1. Cousins
2. Akeson
-. McGinn
4. Noebels
5. Straka

20 (overager year)
1. Akeson
2. McGinn
3. Straka

I think it should also be noted that Cousins, Akeson and Laughton played in the OHL while McGinn and Straka played in the QMJHL (well McGinn was in the OHL for his first year of juniors). And if I'm not mistaken the QMJHL has historically been the higher scoring league or am I just completely making that up? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad