kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
kGcJwl11HNd10VfwzATEkZO7f8rlYcU13XnH5OxHHcE=w530-h442-no

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Being able to successfully balance being a D1 hockey player and the academic load at an Ivy League university is impressive. Only using admittance to those schools and GPAs as proof of intelligence is not.

A 3.5 GPA at Harvard places you in the bottom half of your class.
The most frequently awarded grade is an A with the median GPA at ~3.7.
Back in the early 00s, over 90% of Harvard seniors were graduating with honors.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Does anyone other than Fedun have a degree with an actually difficult major, like one of the STEM fields?

Greening's GPA is impressive. Anyone else that high? What about peer-reviewed publications, anyone have one?

John Scott's also got a mechanical engineering degree.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nothing to this article, it makes it seems all that matters to be smart is to have gone to university...ya no. The article is also very poorly written, I am guessing the author is not an english major. What's with all the wrestling on that site?

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Terrible article, no offense. It's just guys who graduated from ivy league schools with any degree who probably just got in for hockey and may or may have not put in the effort to get actually earn it.

Parros deserves to be there because he actually accomplished something score wise. Greening should be too getting 3.9 GPA is terrific.

Having a huge impact on your life is not an argument for the degree of difficulty to obtain said degree.

LOL.

Political Science, Sociology and History are difficult programs to go through. I always found them more of a challenge than biology.

Not even closeee, I took/am taking both and other fields in an ivy league school and the former subjects are a joke compared to science subjects ainec. Not to discredit those subjects at all but the amount of work/effort one needs to put in is 100 times less than in the sciences. Biology is pure memorization though so that's a bit different, it's identical to socio which is more or less the same. I guess it couldd
depend on the person... ? If we're solely comparing those subjects to biology only then you kinda do have a point but even then multiple choice and memorization in biology so much more detailed and complicated relative to social science/arts counterparts.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
The Sedins managed to play elitehockey and finish school with good grades. Have one followed them thru the years, picking up their line of thoughts and how they express themselves, I would say they are very bright guys.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Political Science, Sociology and History are difficult programs to go through. I always found them more of a challenge than biology.

...What? That's so off base it's funny. I've taken many poli sci classes and a couple sociology and history ones, and just one biology class and it's not even god damn close. Those are joke majors, you could graduate with a 4.0 while missing half the classes. Sociology are the easiest classes I've ever had. History is rote memorization. Political science you can basically ******** you're way through if you want to. I mean, don't get me wrong, you can get a lot out of these degrees if you choose, but the baseline for graduating with one of them is wayyyyy below any of the hard sciences.

Where did you go to school where sociology is harder than biology? You might as well try and say fine arts is equivalent to mathematics.

buttman*

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
You want to call Aaron Volpatti intelligent? He tried to fight Anthony Peluso a couple seasons ago and it did NOT work out well for him. Not an overly smart move :laugh::laugh:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
A lot of funny jock responses popping up. Trying to slam the degrees or the schools to bring them down a peg or two. Maybe you should get in your truck and do some donuts in the parking lot, blow off some steam. :laugh:

Oct 22, 2012
In advertising-rich slideshow format, too!

haha, gold. :clap:

While we're on the topic, I'd be interested to see a documentary or something about hockey players perspective on who were the the smartest players they played against.

To some degree I'd have to say most NHLers are smart. The ability to read/react to plays at a fraction of a second requires some brains.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
TLDR, too many clicks

Isn't Chara a smart guy? Speaks like 7 languages, black belt in something, registered account, real estate agent, Host of Slovakian version of Jeopardy, learns that it is raining before most others... Stuff like that.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
haha, gold. :clap:

While we're on the topic, I'd be interested to see a documentary or something about hockey players perspective on who were the the smartest players they played against.

To some degree I'd have to say most NHLers are smart. The ability to read/react to plays at a fraction of a second requires some brains.

Most NHLers aren't all that smart, at least the one's I've met, and I've met and hungout with plenty of them(I was a golf pro/teacher). Most of these guys knew from a young age they'd be playing pro, or at least had an idea that they would be. I'll throw a random number that 95% of these guys barely attended/tried in high school and post-secondary. Being smart has nothing to do with the instincts you're speaking of, a huge number of NFL players read at a grade school level but that doesn't matter so long as they're able to run fast,catch a ball,throw a ball etc. It doesn't take intelligence to be a pro athlete.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
The ones who didn't make the list should become HF Partners, I don't think it requires that much to become one

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
"simply graduating from an ivy league school"... oh please.

For one it is by far simple to graduate from an ivy league school, even athletes have to try in college. I know because I am a college athlete. For two, history and especially sociology have their places. I cant believe sociology is getting knocked on here.. My most profound professor taught soc and had a huge impact on my life and how I view the environment around me, quit acting like a degree in in is soc or any degree for that matter is so attainable that a rock can get it.

I agree that there is likely more work and higher standards required in Ivy League institutions, especially when athletics monopolize your time and likely contribute to your attendance in the first place. I think the point some are trying to make though, myself included, is that simply picking out the Ivy Leaguers in the NHL is a poor metric to gauge "intelligence". Simply completing a degree doesn't mean you're one of the smartest players in the league. What do they even mean by "smart"?

Dumb article.

Does anyone other than Fedun have a degree with an actually difficult major, like one of the STEM fields?

Greening's GPA is impressive. Anyone else that high? What about peer-reviewed publications, anyone have one?

Backes was a EE at U of M Mankato but obviously didn't finish senior year.

...What? That's so off base it's funny. I've taken many poli sci classes and a couple sociology and history ones, and just one biology class and it's not even god damn close. Those are joke majors, you could graduate with a 4.0 while missing half the classes. Sociology are the easiest classes I've ever had. History is rote memorization. Political science you can basically ******** you're way through if you want to. I mean, don't get me wrong, you can get a lot out of these degrees if you choose, but the baseline for graduating with one of them is wayyyyy below any of the hard sciences.

Where did you go to school where sociology is harder than biology? You might as well try and say fine arts is equivalent to mathematics.

You have no business giving an opinion on the difficulty of degree programs. Get that ******** out of here. Unless you have multiple degrees in multiple disciplines....then by all means, enlighten us.

There are WAY too many variables between all degrees and their areas of emphases to ever pass judgment in the fashion you are. I HIGHLY doubt you took more than 1-2 general curriculum poli sci, sociology, history, or biology classes based on the way you're speaking about it. I'm glad your singular experience and anecdotal proof mean so much to you, but it's irrelevant and baseless.

Picking on non-stem degrees and singling out fine arts. Whatever program you followed, they did a bang up job instilling critical thought and reasoning ability. Bravo.

Truth in advertising.

This is a list of best-educated players, not the smartest ones.

+1. Terrible article.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
FYI, most ivy league schools require identical intellectual attributes whether playing sports or not. The only thing being an athlete gets you is entrance compared to an equally qualified candidate.

There is a reason why Ivy league schools don't compete as well in many sports; most students can't meet the criteria to attend, regardless of how great they are at sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad