Top 15 smartest players in the NHL

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
You have no business giving an opinion on the difficulty of degree programs. Get that ******** out of here. Unless you have multiple degrees in multiple disciplines....then by all means, enlighten us.

There are WAY too many variables between all degrees and their areas of emphases to ever pass judgment in the fashion you are. I HIGHLY doubt you took more than 1-2 general curriculum poli sci, sociology, history, or biology classes based on the way you're speaking about it. I'm glad your singular experience and anecdotal proof mean so much to you, but it's irrelevant and baseless.

Picking on non-stem degrees and singling out fine arts. Whatever program you followed, they did a bang up job instilling critical thought and reasoning ability. Bravo.

Oh please, we're talking about undergraduate degrees here. Of course there's plenty of things you can do to enhance your education like research, internships, competitions, etc etc, but that's why I specifically mentioned I was talking about the baseline for graduating with these degrees. Bachelor's degrees aren't for specialization, they're to give you a broad foundation.

Since you brought it up, I do have multiple bachelor's degrees (2) with a pretty unusual minor. I've switched majors and schools. I'm also in graduate school currently. I had a very close friend studying political science, a roommate studying psychology (minoring in sociology), and my best friend majored in biology before switching majors. I'll grant I don't know anyone very well that went through a history degree. However, I'm very familiar with the topics discussed and it's simply a matter of fact that some areas of study are objectively more complex and harder to grasp.

That's why you have different levels of graduation, drop out rates and switched majors between subjects (here's an example from UCSC showing differing graduation rates). If you're trying to make an argument that a bachelor's degree indicates intelligence, well I'd say that's a poor argument to make no matter what the subject is. But at least it's a little more credible in a major where attaining the degree is difficult, like nuclear engineering vs hotel management.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Acrobello graduated from Yale with a degree in Political science.

The guy is smart.

Graduating from Yale or whereever else doesn't mean you are smart. Maybe compared to your average professional athlete...

The Grim Reaper*

Political Science, Sociology and History are difficult programs to go through. I always found them more of a challenge than biology.

:laugh: "I took an intro biology course once."

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Political Science, Sociology and History are difficult programs to go through. I always found them more of a challenge than biology.

No they aren't. They are bare memorization. Biology, beyond the undergrad gen-ed level is application and innovation, which is much harder.

As for this article, it seems just to be a list of guys who went to ivy league colleges. That doesn't make them the smartest.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
FYI, most ivy league schools require identical intellectual attributes whether playing sports or not. The only thing being an athlete gets you is entrance compared to an equally qualified candidate.

There is a reason why Ivy league schools don't compete as well in many sports; most students can't meet the criteria to attend, regardless of how great they are at sports.

People are aware of how Ivy League institutions work. This article just did as little as humanly possible to prove that it amounted to anything. It also acted like every other school, completed degree, national standardized test score in the world is sub par or irrelevant to a list of players in a league that's dominated by international players.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
A bunch of guys that probably got into those ivy league schools because of hockey rather than their smarts. Really? "satisfactory GPA", degrees in Poli Sci, Sociology, History, and HOTEL MANAGEMENT?!

Horcoff, Volpatti, and Greening are all impressive though

Bogus degree or not, Scrivens is hella smart.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
...What? That's so off base it's funny. I've taken many poli sci classes and a couple sociology and history ones, and just one biology class and it's not even god damn close. Those are joke majors, you could graduate with a 4.0 while missing half the classes. Sociology are the easiest classes I've ever had. History is rote memorization. Political science you can basically ******** you're way through if you want to. I mean, don't get me wrong, you can get a lot out of these degrees if you choose, but the baseline for graduating with one of them is wayyyyy below any of the hard sciences.

Where did you go to school where sociology is harder than biology? You might as well try and say fine arts is equivalent to mathematics.

A high-end university, actually, and I have a science degree from there as well.

Quite easily, I can say that I always found that the sciences to be a lot easier than the arts. I found all of those subjects to be more difficult than my science classes. I'm not sure where you went to school, but if all you did in those classes was rote memorization, it's no wonder they were easy to pass. Memorization doesn't really equate to deep conceptualization, though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People have no idea what they're talking about, which is typical when people start talking about degrees.

Difficulty depends entirely on the program which varies from school to school, or depending on the major, from state to state. It has nothing to do with the subject matter.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
There's Dr.Randy Gregg

1989_gregg_randy.jpg

5 Stanley Cups, and still working as a Family Practitioner in Edmonton.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2009/12/2/1182047/edmontons-greatest-hockey-hero-and

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
No they aren't. They are bare memorization. Biology, beyond the undergrad gen-ed level is application and innovation, which is much harder.

As for this article, it seems just to be a list of guys who went to ivy league colleges. That doesn't make them the smartest.

If all you think they are is bare memorization, then you missed something somewhere. In fact, you missed a lot of things somewhere.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Difficulty depends entirely on the program which varies from school to school, or depending on the major, from state to state. It has nothing to do with the subject matter.

That couldn't be further from the truth, and shows you have no idea what you're talking about. It *absolutely* has to do with the subject matter. The percentage of the population capable of obtaining a degree in something like theoretical physics is much smaller than the percentage capable of obtaining a degree in history, to pick two examples, and assuming reputable universities.

This has been studied to death already. This is a sample of the average IQ of new PhD students in the various fields based on the GRE:

130.0 Physics
129.0 Mathematics
128.5 Computer Science
125.5 Mechanical engineering
121.5 Biology
119.8 Political science
119.7 History
116.0 Business
115.0 Sociology
112.0 Communication

Of course IQ isn't everything there is to being "smart", as it doesn't really take into account knowledge, but it's a pretty good indicator. And it's definitely a good indication of program difficulty as it correlates strongly with "fraction of the populace capable of this".

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If this was the list I was expecting/hoping (which guys are smartest hockey players) I think it would make a good thread. Who would be on it?

Crosby
Girioux
Suter
Datysuk
Bergeron/Kopitar/Toews (all Selke guys)
Homer vote for Spurgeon
Getzlaf
Stralman
Hjalmarrsson

Many more I didn't list.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
If Recchi was still playing, he'd be number 1 since he's a M.D, specifying in neurology.

On a more serious note, Randy Gregg like the guy above me posted has to be a top-5 book smart NHLer of all-time. Any other players with jobs of similar status to M.Ds? I know of Charles Stewart: a goalie during the late 20s, and a dentist.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Nice to see Scrivens recognized for his advocacy work in mental health. He's done tremendous work – hope he keeps it up!

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Im not clicking the link but chara better be on it. buddy loves to learn

also Hodgson loves math... like does math for fun in his spare time.

a piece of paper doesnt make you smart necessarily.

also S/O too all European players who had to learn english just to play hockey... our language is hard af.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad