Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Excellent summations on the Quinn and McCammon eras @BiggE and @MiamiScreamingEagles. I lost my copy of Full Spectrum during a move years ago and will have to order a new one. Besides that, are there any other Flyer books that you would recommend?

I listed the following a few years ago in the first post of the "Visitor's Guide" sticky. I have not read each.

However, if you want introspective experiences, Bernie Parent's recent book is suggested or something biographical as Bill Meltzer's book on Pelle Lindbergh.

Gene Hart's book should be read just because it is Gene Hart. Gormley's book is a quick, easy read the way it is written. Jim Jackson's book is recommended, too.

Otherwise, you can do some research on a source such as Amazon to see what fills your desires.

What books have been written on the Flyers?
  1. "Full Spectrum: The Complete History of the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club" by Jay Greenberg.
    • Updated in 2016: "The Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The Story of the Iconic Hockey Club and its Top 50 Heroes, Wins & Events" by Jay Greenberg.
  2. "Score!: My Twenty-Five Years with the Broad Street Bullies" by Gene Hart.
  3. "Bobby Clarke and the Ferocious Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  4. "Orange, Black and Blue" by Chuck Gormley.
  5. "Walking Together Forever: The Broad Street Bullies, Then and Now" by Jim Jackson.
  6. "Pelle Lindbergh: Behind the White Mask" by Bill Meltzer & Thomas Tynander.
  7. "The Broad Street Bullies: The Incredible Story of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Jack Chevalier (though this is rare and expensive).
  8. "Philadelphia Flyers Encyclopedia" by David Sherman.
  9. "The Greatest Players and Moments of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  10. "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Philadelphia Flyers: Heart-pounding, Jaw-dropping, and Gut-wrenching Moments from Philadelphia Flyers History" by Adam Kimelman.
  11. "100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" by Adam Kimelman.
  12. "Jonesy: Put Your Head Down & Skate" by Keith Jones.
  13. "Journey Through Risk and Fear" by (Bernie) Parent, Michele M. Paiva & Dean Smith.
  14. "Philadelphia Flyers: Superman of the Ice" by Stan Fischler.
  15. "Open Net" by George Plimpton. A must for any hockey fan. The book is mostly about the author's tryout with the Bruins but it includes the notorious Flyers-Bruins' late 1970s preseason game brawl at the Spectrum and that alone is worth the read.
  16. "Fred Shero: A Kaleidoscopic View of the Philadelphia Flyers' Coach" by Rhoda Rappeport.
  17. "Shero: The Man Behind the System" by Fred Shero and Vijay S. Kothare.
  18. "Hockey For The Coach, The Player, And The Fan" by Fred Shero and Andre Beaulieu
  19. "The Riverton Rifle: My Story -- Straight Shooting on Hockey and on Life" by Reggie Leach
  20. "Keith the Thief" by Blake Allen
  21. "Sports Illustrated Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The All-Time Team - The Bitter Rivalries - The Back-to-Back Cups" by the editors of Sports Illustrated
  22. "Philadelphia Flyers, Pennsylvania (Images of Sports Series)" by Russ Cohen, Mike del Tufo, Joe del Tufo and Bruce "Scoop" Cooper
  23. "If These Walls Could Talk" by Lou Nolan and Sam Carchidi
  24. "Unmasked: Bernie Parent and the Broad Street Bullies" by Bernie Parent
  25. "The Big 50: Philadelphia Flyers: The Men and Moments that Made the Philadelphia Flyers" by Sam Carchidi and Wayne Fish
What DVDs are available?
  • Philadelphia Flyers 10 Greatest Games DVD Set
  • History of the Philadelphia Flyers

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Excellent summations on the Quinn and McCammon eras @BiggE and @MiamiScreamingEagles. I lost my copy of Full Spectrum during a move years ago and will have to order a new one. Besides that, are there any other Flyer books that you would recommend?
There are some good ones, but Greenberg’s 2 really do the best job at telling the full story of the franchise. Gene Hart wrote one that came out around 1990 and Chuck Gormley wrote a decent one too, but none have come close to Greenberg’s work. There is a book called The Encyclopedia of Philadelphia Flyers that lists the box scores and season results/stats for every game/season in franchise history from 67 through publication which is a pretty cool reference to have.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I listed the following a few years ago in the first post of the "Visitor's Guide" sticky. I have not read each.

However, if you want introspective experiences, Bernie Parent's recent book is suggested or something biographical as Bill Meltzer's book on Pelle Lindbergh.

Gene Hart's book should be read just because it is Gene Hart. Gormley's book is a quick, easy read the way it is written. Jim Jackson's book is recommended, too.

Otherwise, you can do some research on a source such as Amazon to see what fills your desires.

1. "Full Spectrum: The Complete History of the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club" by Jay Greenberg.
    • Updated in 2016: "The Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The Story of the Iconic Hockey Club and its Top 50 Heroes, Wins & Events" by Jay Greenberg.
  5. "Walking Together Forever: The Broad Street Bullies, Then and Now" by Jim Jackson.
  7. "The Broad Street Bullies: The Incredible Story of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Jack Chevalier (though this is rare and expensive).
  9. "The Greatest Players and Moments of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  10. "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Philadelphia Flyers: Heart-pounding, Jaw-dropping, and Gut-wrenching Moments from Philadelphia Flyers History" by Adam Kimelman.
  13. "Journey Through Risk and Fear" by (Bernie) Parent, Michele M. Paiva & Dean Smith.
  15. "Open Net" by George Plimpton. A must for any hockey fan. The book is mostly about the author's tryout with the Bruins but it includes the notorious Flyers-Bruins' late 1970s preseason game brawl at the Spectrum and that alone is worth the read.
  16. "Fred Shero: A Kaleidoscopic View of the Philadelphia Flyers' Coach" by Rhoda Rappeport.
  18. "Hockey For The Coach, The Player, And The Fan" by Fred Shero and Andre Beaulieu
  19. "The Riverton Rifle: My Story -- Straight Shooting on Hockey and on Life" by Reggie Leach
  21. "Sports Illustrated Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The All-Time Team - The Bitter Rivalries - The Back-to-Back Cups" by the editors of Sports Illustrated
  22. "Philadelphia Flyers, Pennsylvania (Images of Sports Series)" by Russ Cohen, Mike del Tufo, Joe del Tufo and Bruce "Scoop" Cooper
  25. "Philadelphia Flyers" by Russ Cohen, Mike del Tufo and Joe del Tufo
  26. "The Big 50: Philadelphia Flyers: The Men and Moments that Made the Philadelphia Flyers" by Sam Carchidi and Wayne Fish
What DVDs are available?
I should have scrolled down before answering! I need to read Bernie’s new book asap!

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Jay Greenberg was the best in the business - and I mean in all of hockey - back in the day. It seems from my slight exposure that in recent years he has lost his sense of humor, and maybe his perspective, to some degree, but he was just spectacular in his work for The Hockey News.
He did an excellent job as a beat reporter back in the late 70s and 80s too.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

25. "Philadelphia Flyers" by Russ Cohen, Mike del Tufo and Joe del Tufo
  26. "The Big 50: Philadelphia Flyers: The Men and Moments that Made the Philadelphia Flyers" by Sam Carchidi and Wayne Fish
What DVDs are available?
Did your skin crawl a little listing Fischler three times? :naughty:

I have read a couple of his books, neither about the Flyers. He's clearly a hockey fan and a fan of hockey history, but I don't think he really knows all that much about the game itself. :laugh:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Did your skin crawl a little listing Fischler three times? :naughty:

I have read a couple of his books, neither about the Flyers. He's clearly a hockey fan and a fan of hockey history, but I don't think he really knows all that much about the game itself. :laugh:

To this day, I have an article from a publication titled Hockey Today in which the headline is "How the Philadelphia Flyers were Cheated" written by Stan Fischler. No, it wasn't about the multiple calls and no-calls in the 1980 Finals but it was a subtext to what we all witnessed and were denied during that season.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
To this day, I have an article from a publication titled Hockey Today in which the headline is "How the Philadelphia Flyers were Cheated" written by Stan Fischler. No, it wasn't about the multiple calls and no-calls in the 1980 Finals but it was a subtext to what we all witnessed and were denied during that season.
I can’t even think about those days without getting angry. The NHL and their joke officials absolutely screwed the Flyers out of the Cup in 1980. It was so blatant as to be ridiculous.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
Anyone who lived in the late 80s knows rick tochett is a top 5 flyer of all time, followed closely by Craig Berube

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Tocchet was a great, great Flyer. Not top 5 but if he had played his whole career with the there'd be an argument. He was the best player on the team for about 3 years.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Tocchet was a great, great Flyer. Not top 5 but if he had played his whole career with the there'd be an argument. He was the best player on the team for about 3 years.
Love Tocchet, but top 5? No, not even close. There’s no way I could rate him ahead of:
Bobby Clarke
Bernie Parent
Bill Barber
Rick Macleish
Brian Propp
Tim Kerr
Mark Howe
Eric Lindros
John Leclair
Eric Desjardins
Claude Giroux

There are probably at least 4-5 others that I’d have to think about, but those 11 above are no brainers

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Love Tocchet, but top 5? No, not even close. There’s no way I could rate him ahead of:
Bobby Clarke
Bernie Parent
Bill Barber
Rick Macleish
Brian Propp
Tim Kerr
Mark Howe
Eric Lindros
John Leclair
Eric Desjardins
Claude Giroux

There are probably at least 4-5 others that I’d have to think about, but those 11 above are no brainers

If he scored 900 points as a Flyer you'd have him higher than half the guys on this list.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
Um, yeah...ok

Somehow I find it hard to think about Rich Tocchet as a true Flyer since he was having the best season of his career wearing a Penguins uniform. :huh:

Bobby Clarke
Bernie Parent
Bill Barber
Rick Macleish
Brian Propp
Tim Kerr
Mark Howe
Eric Lindros
John Leclair
Eric Desjardins
Claude Giroux

If he scored 900 points as a Flyer you'd have him higher than half the guys on this list.

you guys missed the sarcasm haha. berube should have been the giveaway. but the tocchet rocket as a pre-teen in the 80s it was like stanley cup here we come. dude was legendary for those few years on my block in suburban NJ :)

Reactions: BiggE

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Bobby Clarke
Bernie Parent
Bill Barber
Rick Macleish
Brian Propp
Tim Kerr
Mark Howe
Eric Lindros
John Leclair
Eric Desjardins
Claude Giroux

I would think Tocchet would crack the top ten power forwards in Flyers history!
And might squeak in the top 10 most truculent players that suited up for the Flyers! All time leader in NHL history in Gordie Howe Hat tricks...
he can play on my team all day long!

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

I have another suggestion. Top 10 players based on two or more stints with the Flyers. They had to play with another organization in between.

Parent, MacLeish, Hextall, Recchi, etc.
Good one! Out of town til Sunday, but I’ll think on this a bit when I get home. Besides the guys you mentioned, Boucher, Tocchet and Berube also come to mind. Bernie will likely be tops on this list, but it will interesting after that.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Top 10 Flyers who were traded away and never reacquired, but should have been:

1. Mike Ricci
2. Peter Zezel
3. Justin Williams
4. Scott Mellanby
5. Gord Murphy
6. Vinny Prospal
7. Al MacAdam
8. Ron Sutter
9. Rod Brind'Amour
10. Shayne Gostisbehere

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Top 10 Flyers who were traded away and never reacquired, but should have been:

1. Mike Ricci
2. Peter Zezel
3. Justin Williams
4. Scott Mellanby
5. Gord Murphy
6. Vinny Prospal
7. Al MacAdam
8. Ron Sutter
9. Rod Brind'Amour
10. Shayne Gostisbehere

Prospal was reacquired for the stretch run in 2008. Shouldn’t have been traded in the first place.

Considering Clarke reacquired numerous ex-Flyers in the 90’s, I think it’s safe to assume Clarke attempted to get Mellanby back.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad